By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 were released at Bad times

SSO is a niche game.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

Forza sales are not bad but they don't set the world a light.  big portion of them are bundled (nothing wrong with that) and Forza 6 won't have huge sales just like it's predecessor. The series is too milked to have big sales per game. 

Nah you don't see to many games like that doing big numbers except for a few on SOny and Nintendo platforms. Prob just sold to the wrong target audience. But with Nintendo's poor sales they prob wouldn't have done much better. 

Well if you exclude bundling, Forza 3 probably sold 3+ million. Forza 4 sold around 2+ million. People always talk about bundling but ignore it still achieves good numbers. Frequent releases of Forza is a strategy that has worked well for that series.

What games like Sunset Overdrive are doing big numbers on Sony platforms? I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm just curious to know what games you're referring to.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

Racing games in general have declined in sales.

GT6 saw a MASSIVE decline. Some blame it on PS4 but a decline that big has more to do with lack of interest in GT6. Need for Speed is far from its peak. Codemasters racers have been flopping.

With that said, Forza sales have remained decent. Forza 5 will achieve 2 million. Forza Horizon 2 on X1 is probably good for 1.5 million. Also, that series recycles a lot of content so that keeps development costs down. Cars and tracks from those games will be in Forza 6.

Sunset Overdrive might have performed better with a different release window. But I still think that game is a little too niche for big sales. We don't see many (any?) games like that doing big numbers.

GT6' decline has many factors. Next-gen buzz, many people were simply waiting for a ps4 version. 2nd game on the same console. The game had little hype, GT5 was still getting support and GT5's launch had left a bad taste for many.

GT 10.5M, GT2 9.5m, GT3 15m, GT4 11.6M, GT5 10.5m, GT6 2.9m. A massive drop. A shame, not niche yet but not a blue ocean title anymore. We'll see what happens with GT7 and Forza 6. Forza 5 had the opposite of all the cons for GT6, already has plenty bundles and stands at 1.6m vs 4.3m for Forza 4.

Both Polyphony and Turn 10 need to make sim racing popular again. Maybe VR can help get it in the spotlight again. Maybe special events where you can race in live races with actual racers' data streamed to your console, plus tv coverage in a pip window. It would have to be ghosts or the drivatar system that tries to get back to what's happening live after you screw them up.  Or big endurance events with 200 players in different classes on the track. Something that atracts attention instead of the same old overtake 12-16 cars in a race.

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Forza sales are not bad but they don't set the world a light.  big portion of them are bundled (nothing wrong with that) and Forza 6 won't have huge sales just like it's predecessor. The series is too milked to have big sales per game. 

Nah you don't see to many games like that doing big numbers except for a few on SOny and Nintendo platforms. Prob just sold to the wrong target audience. But with Nintendo's poor sales they prob wouldn't have done much better. 

Well if you exclude bundling, Forza 3 probably sold 3+ million. Forza 4 sold around 2+ million. People always talk about bundling but ignore it still achieves good numbers. Frequent releases of Forza is a strategy that has worked well for that series.

What games like Sunset Overdrive are doing big numbers on Sony platforms? I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm just curious to know what games you're referring to.

Those Forza's had ridiculous amounts of bundles. As you say F4 bundles around 2M because that game sold over 4M. That's hugesly reliable on bundles. And I'm not ignoring the numbers are good but the graph is one of decline. Not helped by the severe milking. Forza 6? Big deal. In the last 2 years Forza fans will have played Forza 5 and Horizon. That game won't do big numbers without bundles. It gets hype on the internet because it's exclusive. 

Similar to sunset overdrive? Infamous and ratchet and clank are very similar games. (the ps3 infamous' btw.) Big numbers for that genre. Insomniacs dwindling fan base is mainly on PS so that straight away helps it. I've gotten a lot of their games since PS1's Spyro trilogy and I'd have skipped overdrive. They made F.U.S.E I think and I skipped that too. SO is a good game critically but it just seems like something you'll play for a week then move on. And judging by the deflation of hype for it, that appears to have happened. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Sunset definitely released at the right time. It got some good bundling and certainly didn't do badly. A solid base to build on.

Halo MCC had to release then to get Xbox One sales up for the holidays, oh... and it isn't a bug ridden mess. The only problem is the servers handling all the people trying to play it at once. Unless Microsoft invested more in that then it probably would have been an issue whenever it released.

I thought that the MCC online issues were pretty much the same as DriveClubs? It all worked hunky dory on the dev units, but when they pressed the retail copies to go on retail machines, issues which didn't occur at all with the dev units suddenly sprung up and it was too late to do anything about it pre release? If it was simply a server issue, that would have been fixed in the first week without the need for big patches.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
MikeRox said:

I thought that the MCC online issues were pretty much the same as DriveClubs? It all worked hunky dory on the dev units, but when they pressed the retail copies to go on retail machines, issues which didn't occur at all with the dev units suddenly sprung up and it was too late to do anything about it pre release? If it was simply a server issue, that would have been fixed in the first week without the need for big patches.

I got the game a couple days early and it worked fine up when there were very few people playing, so up until the actual release.

The volume of users caused it, however I'm sure 343 themselves said that it wasn't as simple as just adding more server capacity due to it being an issue with the code running on retail units.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

People realize that bundled copies with systems aren't tracked as sales... Neither are digital copies sold through the Xbox Live Store.... I saw someone commented that 390k is poor? That is just hard copies...

Not bundled/digital copies and with it being a new IP that is actually some really good numbers. Probably with bundled/digital copies probably looking at 500k at least...

bananaking21 said:
if you want to know the truth i honestly dont know why SO isnt selling great. i think it looks like a great and fun game, if i would have assumed a game like it would sell a lot. sometimes good games just dont sell, and that seems to sadly apply to SO

as far as forza, well, i think the racing genre in general is declining, specially in the US. so it was expected for it to not perform great since xbox one is strongest in the USA then UK, with it performing badly in the rest of EU were sales of racing games are good.

Success for that type of game (third person action/mayhem) is like 1.5m-2m comparing it to the likes of dead rising and Ratchet. It seems to be seling steady and not falling too fast (35k a week), but it just had a flat launch which is surprising given the bundle and Microsofts marketing push.  I think it will have legs

Kerotan said:

Those Forza's had ridiculous amounts of bundles. As you say F4 bundles around 2M because that game sold over 4M. That's hugesly reliable on bundles. And I'm not ignoring the numbers are good but the graph is one of decline. Not helped by the severe milking. Forza 6? Big deal. In the last 2 years Forza fans will have played Forza 5 and Horizon. That game won't do big numbers without bundles. It gets hype on the internet because it's exclusive. 

Similar to sunset overdrive? Infamous and ratchet and clank are very similar games. (the ps3 infamous' btw.) Big numbers for that genre. Insomniacs dwindling fan base is mainly on PS so that straight away helps it. I've gotten a lot of their games since PS1's Spyro trilogy and I'd have skipped overdrive. They made F.U.S.E I think and I skipped that too. SO is a good game critically but it just seems like something you'll play for a week then move on. And judging by the deflation of hype for it, that appears to have happened. 

I think you're missing the point. You're too focused on bundling and ignore the series does well outside of the bundling. Two million sales is still good, that's enough to keep most IPs going. Also, a new Forza every few years stimulates sales and revenue more than keeping the old game on the market for $20.

People think GT7 is coming in 2015 or 2016. So maybe that series seems to be getting more frequent releases as well.

Sunset Overdrive is not really like Infamous or Ratchet & Clank. There isn't anything I can really point at on Playstation consoles that resembles Sunset Overdrive.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Insomniac should it release a proper Resistance Fall of Men sequel from RFOM 1, I mean how dared you killed Natan Hale in RFOM 2 ? you freaking morons!! :/