By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Destiny the most over-hyped game of all time?

Yes, absolutely. GTAIV could give it a run for its money, and possibly Halo 3 as well, but Destiny outdoes both in terms of marketing hype, over-promising and under-delivering.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

lol, no

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Scoobes said:
How quickly people seem to forget Duke Nukem Forever

Was it really... hyped? I thought all the buzz around it was ironic because people knew it could never be good.
But if people were honestly excited for that, then yes.

Anyway, Daikatana. Homefront. Fable. Spore.
I think Destiny falls somewhere in these ranks.

A lot of sequels are overhyped, but it was kind of interesting to have three really big overhyped new IPs in one year, though they weren't necessarily bad games at all. I guess the publishers thought these new IPs would have a really uncertain place in the market and so they had to have advertising make them look like the best thing since sliced bread to be confident that anyone at all would buy them.

I'm not sure about all time but its the most overhyped game in years.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

wii music was kinda overhyped..

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network

Destiny is one of the most overhyped games ever, but I don't think it is the most overhyped of all time. That distinction belongs to games like Daikatana, Fable, and Spore.

NNID: TheCCluc

jlmurph2 said:
Acevil said:

I honestly think Titanfall fits that category (for this generation). Most people had a rough understanding of the core game from the Beta for Destiny.

Titanfall also had an alpha and beta. Whats your point? People knew exactly what Titanfall was at its core. A multiplayer game. And it scored well for what it was.

Well the way critics were hyping the game before launch made it sound like it was much more bigger experience. I heard things like "believe the hype". Destiny on the other hand was always comments on how bad the voice acting was. 

To me they were both hyped, but I felt destiny fell before launch, while Titanfall was huge at launch. (I am talking about hype on the internet, so that means really little these day.)

I would have said Watch_Dogs was more hyped than both, but that hype was when it was unvailed not anywhere near launch. 

Far from it.

ethomaz said:
What define overhyped for me is the success of the game across the gamers.

It is really not overhyped... sold a ton and it is yet selling at fast pace... more and more gamers are talking about it and starting to play.

The game is amazing and holds strong to be one of the best seller games this holidays.

Overhyped simply means that the reception didn't match the promise. Titanfall is the poster child imo. This game was said by the press to revolutinize the way we play FPS. It was suppose to be the OOT of the genre etc. But when it came out, it did... nothing. It didn't change a damn thing and ended up quickly dropping off the face of the earth. 

That... my friend, is overhype defined.

Yes it is....when the game does decide to work and connect properly youre stuck doing the same things over and over and over. Its not what they claimed it to be (open world, always something new, fully interactive with other players). Whats the point of having 3 different classes if you cant talk to the random people you connect to in the game to plan out a strategy or ask for assistance? The story is stupid and the literally advertised DLC at the end of it. No doubt in my mind they already finished other chapters of the game and they just want to force DLC down our throats. As a consumer I dont care how much it sold if i cant get any enjoyment out of it.