By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Destiny the most over-hyped game of all time?

mornelithe said:

"Yes, it's true: Activision is spending half a billion dollars on Bungie's Destiny. Yes, that's true despite Bungie's statement that, "the budget for Destiny, including associated marketing costs and pizza Wednesdays, is nowhere near 500 million dollars." And that's because, when Activision head Bobby Kotick revealed that gargantuan number earlier this year, he was speaking to the entire franchise, not just this September's game.

"That number has been widely misinterpreted as a production number for the first game," Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg explained in an interview today at Gamescom. "That number is an all-inclusive number that's several years worth of investment, including marketing and several games, and a lot of up front investment in things like engines and tools that will be able to be used for years to come."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/13/destiny-500-million/

They were predicting budget to the next expansions and games... thye planned to expend $500 million in this generation with Destiny.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
mornelithe said:

"Yes, it's true: Activision is spending half a billion dollars on Bungie's Destiny. Yes, that's true despite Bungie's statement that, "the budget for Destiny, including associated marketing costs and pizza Wednesdays, is nowhere near 500 million dollars." And that's because, when Activision head Bobby Kotick revealed that gargantuan number earlier this year, he was speaking to the entire franchise, not just this September's game.

"That number has been widely misinterpreted as a production number for the first game," Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg explained in an interview today at Gamescom. "That number is an all-inclusive number that's several years worth of investment, including marketing and several games, and a lot of up front investment in things like engines and tools that will be able to be used for years to come."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/13/destiny-500-million/

They were predicting budget to the next expansions and games... thye planned to expend $500 million in this generation with Destiny.

I know, I was just pointing this out, but it's irrelevant, the OP is specifically avoiding addressing the inaccuracy of his argument.

I am on the fence here.
Titanfall was really hyped as well. That said, it at least got 80's on Metacritic and delivered less flaws.

Destiny on the other hand lacks so many important aspects, that it is almost laughable.
A MMO with no Trade? No Craft? No Social interaction whatsoever?
A RPG where races have 0 difference? Classes that have almost 0 difference? The story on a website????
And the other things like: No matchmaking? Unskippable cutscenes? Invisible Walls? The quest system. And the god damn loot system.

This game has almost every flaw it could have. We were expecting the "World of Halo" and ended up with a pretty shooter. Not that special in the end, to say the least.

Idk about all time cause FFXIII and FFXIV original hype were also pretty big but most people got super disappointed by those so... Idk about all time but for this gen so far? Hell Yes!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

COD is hyped up by more people and sells more and delivers less in my opinion every year since 4

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

Yes the game was completely over hyped, it was being talked about at all the game stops a year ago. This is because of the mad hype constantly coming out about it.

Titanfall was much more hyped and much less of a game.

I guess if you only look at critics scores, maybe. But I would prefer to look at what actual consumers/gamers say, and almost everyone I know loves the game. For me personally? Well, let's just say that I played the Alpha at least once a day the entire time it was open, the Beta at least once a day the whole time it was open, and I have played at least one Strike or Crucible match every day in Destiny since the full game launched. I have never, ever, ever before played a game every day for a month straight before. So yeah, to me, definitely not overhyped.

Nothing beats Titanfall GOTG.

I don't know. Duke Nukem 3D 2 had tons of hype in its time. Then years of delays, cancellations, and then the game would come back. And when it finally arrived over a decade later: it was a piece of garbage not worth any hype at all.

Same applies to Too Human

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016