By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Destiny the most over-hyped game of all time?

I cant think of any game in recent memory that was hyped up to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, and turned out to be just an ok game.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Around the Network
reggin_bolas said:

I'm soliciting opinions opinions on this but I'm also going to present my own analysis for why Destiny is the most over-hyped game to date.

To qualify, I've taken into consideration two critical factors:

1. Metacritic

2. Budget

Using ONLY the above two I can only find two contenders. Star Wars MMO (SWTOR) and Destiny.

SWTOR had a rumored 200 million dollar budget and currently sits at 85 on metacritic. In contrast, Destiny had an estimated 500 million dollar budget and is currently sitting at 76/77 metacritic for PS4 and XB1 respectively.  I can draw no other conclusion than Destiny is the undisputed most overhyped game to date. It's budget is double that of SWTOR and scored almost 10 points lower on average.

I'm not saying 76 is a bad score but is it honestly what people expected? I think most people assumed a high 80's to 90's given Bungie's pedigree. But if we factor in commercial success SWTOR is clearly the loser. It went F2P less than a year before launch and was arguably not the WoW-killer as many predicted. Destiny is to date a commercial success and we don't know if it has staying power with all the negative press. 

Another possible contender is Duke Nukem Forever which took 10 years to develop and received overall poor scores on metacritic (ranging presently from 49-54). Though it still didn't have the monster budget of the aforementioned games.

What do you think? What can top Destiny in this "award" category?

As many have already pointed out, your budget figures for Destiny are incorrect.  Activision invested $500 million on a contract with Bungie for 10 years, and 4 games, it encompasses everything, not just the game themselves but also servers, marketing, DLC and so on.  Even if they were applying it to just the games (which they are not, but hypothetically speaking), that's still just the cost of SWTOR per game and at 6.41m retail (so far in the charts), that's not a bad start.

Now, I'm sure there's merit to the critiques on Destiny from players and reviewers alike, the thing is, more people appear to be enjoying it by a fair margin, than those the vocal few who don't.  A friend of mine loves the hell out of it, so to each their own.   As far as hype goes, not sure.  I think the hype for FFVII at this point, year in and year out, probably takes the cake.  I also think certain installments of GTA (if not all) receive an equal or greater amount of hype than Destiny did, and it's probably fair to say there's at least one exclusive franchise on each platform (including PC) that receive equal levels of hype.

overhyped =/= metacritic

Titanfall was way more overhyped.Like second coming of christ overhyped....

Gammalad said:
I cant think of any game in recent memory that was hyped up to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, and turned out to be just an ok game.

Exactly, which is why I intentionally included the games with the largest budgets to narrow down the list. Jesus, can't you people read lol. 

OttoniBastos said:
overhyped =/= metacritic

If so then why does it have a better metacritic? It's 10 points higher as a matter of fact. 

Around the Network

imo yes

reggin_bolas said:
RenCutypoison said:
Overhype : hype>sales

Destiny : Great hype Great sales

so nop.

Commercial success is one factor. I intentionally excluded it in my OP. It's about budget and metacritic. 

Bugdget and metacritic aren't related the slightest. That doesn't make sense.

over-hyped to you yes over-hyped in general no

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

reggin_bolas said:
OttoniBastos said:
overhyped =/= metacritic

If so then why does it have a better metacritic? It's 10 points higher as a matter of fact. 

Are you using metacritic? are you serious?

Public opinion defines what is overhyped,underhyped or just hyped.

GTA 4 has like 97 on metacritic and yet gta community thinks it was a letdown in comparison with san andreas.

Final fantasy 13 has like 83 on metacritic, and yet is considered one of the worst(if not the worst) final fantasy of all time.

Dark souls 2 has like 90 on metacritic but the community keeps saying it was a letdown in comparison with Demon's and Dark. 

Titanfall was suposed to be the game of the generation("believe the hype" remember?) and yet after march npd nobody was talking about the game anymore. 

reggin_bolas said:
Gammalad said:

Exactly, which is why I intentionally included the games with the largest budgets to narrow down the list. Jesus, can't you people read lol. 

If we are pigeon-holing the game into your own, very ill-conceived and wrong, perception of the word hype, then why ask for our opinions at all?