By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Destiny the most over-hyped game of all time?

Neodegenerate said:
reggin_bolas said:
Gammalad said:
I cant think of any game in recent memory that was hyped up to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, and turned out to be just an ok game.

Exactly, which is why I intentionally included the games with the largest budgets to narrow down the list. Jesus, can't you people read lol. 

If we are pigeon-holing the game into your own, very ill-conceived and wrong, perception of the word hype, then why ask for our opinions at all?

Because most of you failed to nominate a candidate. And if we don't put any restrictions at all then it's impossible to have any kind of serious discussion since any game could qualify for being overhyped. 

Around the Network
reggin_bolas said:

Because most of you failed to nominate a candidate. And if we don't put any restrictions at all then it's impossible to have any kind of serious discussion since any game could qualify for being overhyped. 

Well first, your topic doesn't ask for a candidate.  It asks a yes or no question.

Secondly, the way you phrase it makes the candidate an optional answer.

People simply saying "No" covers your threads premise and your threads title.  It also covers the structure with which you put together your first post.

OttoniBastos said:
reggin_bolas said:
OttoniBastos said:
overhyped =/= metacritic

Titanfall was way more overhyped.Like second coming of christ overhyped....

If so then why does it have a better metacritic? It's 10 points higher as a matter of fact. 

Are you using metacritic? are you serious?

Public opinion defines what is overhyped,underhyped or just hyped.

GTA 4 has like 97 on metacritic and yet gta community thinks it was a letdown in comparison with san andreas.

Final fantasy 13 has like 83 on metacritic, and yet is considered one of the worst(if not the worst) final fantasy of all time.

Dark souls 2 has like 90 on metacritic but the community keeps saying it was a letdown in comparison with Demon's and Dark. 

Titanfall was suposed to be the game of the generation("believe the hype" remember?) and yet after march npd nobody was talking about the game anymore.  

Think of metacritic like modern parlamentary democracy. It's the symbolic and representative voice of the people no? And it's really hard to measure public opinion in any other way. But we can try, did you know that user score was LOWER on Destiny than the critics? 6.4 compared to 76 on the PS4. 

reggin_bolas said:

Yeah but restricting the discussion to your false reality, isn't any way to have a serious discussion about it either.  You've been told that the data you are using to draw your conclusion from is faulty (and it's not just an opinion, Destiny 1 did not cost 500 million), but you neglect to actually factor that into the discussion.  So, again, what's the point?

Neodegenerate said:
reggin_bolas said:

Well first, your topic doesn't ask for a candidate.  It asks a yes or no question.

People simply saying "No" covers your threads premise and your threads title.  It also covers the structure with which you put together your first post.

This is why I am asking people to actually read. Critical reading involves finding implied or other meanings in text. My OP clearly states "what can top Destiny"? That statement is calling for nominations and counter-proposals. 

Some sensible ones have included Daikatana and Titanfall. That's what I am asking for. Not, "I can think of a million games that disappointed. "

Around the Network
reggin_bolas said:
Neodegenerate said:
reggin_bolas said:

This is why I am asking people to actually read. Critical reading involves finding implied or other meanings in text. My OP clearly states "what can top Destiny"? That statement is calling for nominations and counter-proposals. 

Some sensible ones have included Daikatana and Titanfall. That's what I am asking for. Not, "I can think of a million games that disappointed. "

No, your OP clearly states "I think Destiny was overhyped and I am unwilling to hear that anything else can top it.  Do you agree?  If you don't please pointlessly debate me on why because I would love to try to tear down your response with non-factual information"

reggin_bolas said:
OttoniBastos said:
reggin_bolas said:
OttoniBastos said:
overhyped =/= metacritic

Titanfall was way more overhyped.Like second coming of christ overhyped....

If so then why does it have a better metacritic? It's 10 points higher as a matter of fact. 

Are you using metacritic? are you serious?

Public opinion defines what is overhyped,underhyped or just hyped.

GTA 4 has like 97 on metacritic and yet gta community thinks it was a letdown in comparison with san andreas.

Final fantasy 13 has like 83 on metacritic, and yet is considered one of the worst(if not the worst) final fantasy of all time.

Dark souls 2 has like 90 on metacritic but the community keeps saying it was a letdown in comparison with Demon's and Dark. 

Titanfall was suposed to be the game of the generation("believe the hype" remember?) and yet after march npd nobody was talking about the game anymore.  

Think of metacritic like modern parlamentary democracy. It's the symbolic and representative voice of the people no? And it's really hard to measure public opinion in any other way. But we can try, did you know that user score was LOWER on Destiny than the critics? 6.4 compared to 76 on the PS4. 

>voice of the people

>ign,polygon and kotaku

using the examples of the last post:

Ign gave 10 to gta 4,

89 to FF13

90 to dark souls 2

ask what people think about ff13 and then compare with this score if you still think they represent public opinion.

Is the game truely that awful II've yet to play it but the game looks pretty fun to me, perhaps it doesn't lives up to the hype, but seriously wwhich game nowadays does. Spoiler alert Bloodborne will be the next victim halo and uncharted will follow. Word of advise to enjoy gaming more don't believe the hype and think with your brain instead of letting opinions on the internet cloud your judgement.

Oh and the new contender would obviously be driveclub while it's racing mechanics, visuals and sounds are great we can only see the flaws so driveclub is the most overhyped game.

(Not excusing server problems, but judging like this results in driveclub being the worst (racing) game ever. While it clearly isn't)

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

"Yes, it's true: Activision is spending half a billion dollars on Bungie's Destiny. Yes, that's true despite Bungie's statement that, "the budget for Destiny, including associated marketing costs and pizza Wednesdays, is nowhere near 500 million dollars." And that's because, when Activision head Bobby Kotick revealed that gargantuan number earlier this year, he was speaking to the entire franchise, not just this September's game.

"That number has been widely misinterpreted as a production number for the first game," Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg explained in an interview today at Gamescom. "That number is an all-inclusive number that's several years worth of investment, including marketing and several games, and a lot of up front investment in things like engines and tools that will be able to be used for years to come."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/13/destiny-500-million/

No, it was TitanFALL

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!