By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I don't think the PS4 will pass 100m

leyendax69 said:

I don't know if will pass 100m or not but it has more chances of do it than the ps3. Reasons: Wii u failing compared to Wii, unlike PS3 being expensive and coming out a year after 360, PS4 has everything on its favor against Xbox One. It's already at 8 millions with almost no exclusive games, I think is more doable for PS4 to reach 100m instead of 3ds.

Exactly.. Just wait until the bad boys like Gran Turismo and Uncharted come out... The PS4 will really be killing it..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

I agree. I think it will end up at around 90 million.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Scoobes said:

Edit- Wait a sec, I think I found the data you were referencing (from financial reports) in which case the numbers need to be put into context.

1.41 million Yr 1 PS2 sales accounts for less than 1 month of sales in Japan only; 3.61 million Yr 1 PS3 sales accounts for 5 months in Japan and the US

9.2 million Yr 2 PS2 sales accounts for first full year of sales in Japan, plus 5 and 6 months of sales in the EU and US respectively; 9.24 million Yr 2 PS3 sales accounts for the first full year of sales in all three major regions.

In that context, it doesn't look so good for early PS3 sales. You could apply this regional context for PS4 and in US/EU (and overall) it still looks good for PS4 considering it's at 8.4 million in the space of 8 months. Japan looks to be a bit of a bust by comparison, but overall, it's still on course to beat 100 million lifetime sales.

I only go on the financial reports since they are the most interesting historically.

You are right about the releases, and I should have thought about it. Sadly we don´t get breakdowns per region, it would have been more interesting. It still looks really good for PS3 sales though since those aren´t bad numbers in any way.

PS4 should be able to clear 100M with ease. It is well ahead of 360 in both of its first 2 years on the market, and destroying the terrible start of the PS3. To put things into perspective, 360 did not hit 8.4M units sold tell January 27th 2007 according to VGChartz.That is 62 weeks after launch. PS4 has already reached this mark in 34 weeks, and ahead of its second holiday. In 2007 360's second year, it was still selling at a slower rate than PS4 currently is seeing.

Looking into the future PS4 has no known surprises ahead like the launch of two new competitors. Unlike PS3 and 360 PS4 is already making money at the hardware level, and is in a much more PS2 like position where Sony could Knock $100 off the price at next years E3 just like they did in 2002 with PS2. Next year will also see the return of Sony's biggest franchises, along with a much bigger out put from SCEWWS overall. PS4 will be at the forefront of both IPTV, and VR displays, two things which have potential to blow up sales as the generation progresses.

On the negitve side of things (why it would not hit 100M). Microsoft have already stated that Windows 9 will be marketed as the One OS. It is suppoed to unify PC, Tablets, Phone, and XBO. If XBO gets access to all windows phone apps, and Sony has no counter, this could be a major turning point in the generation. Over at Nintendo, if they really move to a single system home a mobile device, and compete in power by 2016 or 17 it could really hurt sales in the later years. Finally, there is the outside chance Steambox, Samsung, Apple, or Amazon could put something out that steals marketshare.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Dusk said:
Scoobes said:
Dusk said:
Scoobes said:

There are actually more third party developers then ever before. You could argue there are less third party AAA developers, but I'm not sure how true that is either as the more sucessful studios tend to expand and have multiple teams working on multiple titles but under the same studio name.

I'd argue there are less AAA games in the same time frame because they take so damn long to make these days. Even Call of Duty has moved to a three year dev cycle.

How do you figure? The large studios aren't expanding and working on more games, they are actually aquiring more studios and teams to work on less games. 10 studios are working on AC Unity, 10! It makes no difference whether COD is a three year development cycle cause they have so many damn studios working on them one is released every year. Why not just have a group working on COD that releases every three years and then the rest of the stuidos could work on something different, maybe multiple different smaller less costly titles. In 2013 Ubisoft released 12 games, 2012-24, 2011-28, 2010-23, 2009-31, 2008-32. Oh and 2014 is looking to have 10. 

Less games. 

That's not refuting what I was saying. You've basically said large publishers have huge studios working on multiple games (in the same franchise a lot of the time) that take ages to come out because development takes ages. That's pretty much what I said in the case of AAA third parties. You also have sucess stories from last gen like Bioware, Insomniac and CDProjekt that have multiple teams and franchises on the go whereas before they only had one or two; more games, longer time-frames.

But, there are still more third party developers because there are many more smaller indie developers that publish directly to consumers via PSN.

Sure if you count indies as third parties it's undeniable. The problem with that is people don't buy $400 dollar consoles for indie games. Also, 10 studios working on a single title instead of ten or even 5 titles in the same amount of time is LESS. It's not like there is an infinite amount of studios to work on an infinite amount of games. If there are 100 studios, and each game requires 8 studios over 3 years you get 12.5 games as opposed to 100 studios where each game requires only 2 studios you get 50. So even if there are more studios like you think there are you would have to have 4 times the amount of studios to release the same amount of games as before. The more that the big publishers require the studios to combine work from more stuidos the less games will be released. The funny thing about this is that with this form of thought from these big publishers is that if they have a single flop, it could mean disaster. They might have to shut down multiple studios or even close the doors like THQ did. It's like the expression, "don't put all your eggs in one basket" but that is exactly what these guys are doing. If AC Unity flops like a fish out of water don't be surprised to see 5 out of 10 studios shut their doors. It's all a money game. A gamble. And these suckers are getting greedy. LIke a poor addicted gambler betting his life savings on 24 black. 

Whilst I agree with most of what you said about AAA developers/publishers, it's also not true for all AAA developers/publishers. The three companies I gave in my previous post are all working on multiple franchises with different teams on each. It also depends on what each studio/team is doing. Most big AAA games still only have one studio working as the primary, with many other studios pitching in as secondary studios. Many of these will be working on multiple games but just happen to have the expertise needed in a certain area to help out and whilst it adds a lot of names to the credits, it could only account for 10% of their resources with 90% on other games.

@bolded

The other thing about Indie devs is whilst right now they may not seem worth a $400 console, these are the AAA devs of tomorrow. They're the ones that will come up with innovative ideas and who will later get contracts with publishers along with bigger budgets. We're already starting to see this with the likes of Project CARS so by year 3 of this gen, expect a lot more.

Around the Network
ExplodingBlock said:
Danman27 said:
ExplodingBlock said:
Danman27 said:
ExplodingBlock said:

Recently with alot of peoples predictions, they said they think will think PS4 will sell over 100 million units

While I admit, the PS4 is doing great but if you look at the sales of the PS3 it was selling 150k every week and that didn't even do 90m, plus it was on the market for 7+ years

The only way I think it can pass 100m is if it is on the market for 9+ years and continues to sell after the PS5 comes out

This argument doesn't really make sense. The ps4 is selling better than the ps3. I'm not sure if the ps4 will sell that well either, but I don't see how this argument proves it at all. Most weeks the ps3 didn't do 150k. Holiday sales make up a massive amount of sales, so we won't really be able to guess how well the ps4 might sell until holiday season. 

PS3 had a really slow start

That doesn't change the fact that the ps4 is one of the fastest (I think the fastest) selling console of all time. I think the ps4 is going to have a shorter life cycle, and that's why it won't break 100 million. And you're not paying attention to my comment. The ps3 almost never sold 150k a week. So the biggest point you're making isn't accurate. 

It was the fastest selling at launch, not anymore

PS4 is not doing great, it is doing fine along with the 3DS. The only reason people think its doing amazing is because of the sales of Xbox One, Wii U, and PSV

Its slowed down because thats how the yearly cycle works. And while its not doing amazing, its lowest weekly is 98k compared to PS3 which was doing 60-116k during the same period in its first year.

What matters is the yearly peaks at december and it took PS3 3 years to get past 660k sales per week near december. The PS4 will be doing way more than that every december for the next 6 years and non holiday sales will get better when the true next gen games start coming out and it gets a price drop.

It is common sense that it will pass 100M by far, it's the console that will gather everyone, the market wont be too much splitted so 100M is the low expectation.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Yes if 10 years but 7 years i don't think so.50 to 70m in the lifespan.

Hero and Heroine Trainers Club Member.

ExplodingBlock said:

It was the fastest selling at launch, not anymore

PS4 is not doing great, it is doing fine along with the 3DS. The only reason people think its doing amazing is because of the sales of Xbox One, Wii U, and PSV

Seriously? Please before you say anything like this, actually look at the numbers.

DS had a baseline of about 100k in its first full year (2005). Comparative week in 2005 (July 9th) 99k, after adjustments are made that will be lower than the PS4. Believe it or not the PS4 is selling better than the DS at the same point in its life, a handheld which sold 150m+

PSP had a similar baseline in its first full year (2005 again). Comparative week = 88k. PS4 is better than PSP as well

X360 had a baseline of lower than 100k in first full year (2006). Comparative week = 76k PS4 better again.

PS3 also had a baseline of lower than 100k in first full year (2007). Comparative week  = 59k. PS4 is doing miles better than PS3.

Wii had a very high baseline in its first full year (2007) as we all know. Comparative week = 248k. Wii was doing amazingly.

3DS had a baseline of about 150k in its first full year (2012). Comparative week = 132k. Its beating the PS4 slightly but bear in mind it had a much longer launch year.

Only the Wii was doing better than the PS4 is doing now in the same time frame after launch, 3DS was doing better weekly at the time but it had many months longer on the market so that is expected. PS4 had and still is having an amzing start, especially considering the lack of exclusives. I'll be very shocked if it doesn't reach 100m.

Too early to tell, but in favour of PS4 there is its PC-like architecture and components that will allow Sony to regularly drop its price at the right moment without problems, so as long as games will keep on coming, sales will come too.
This applies to XBOne too, as it has a PC-like architecture too, but having chosen a more expensive APU and having included the expensive Kinect 2 for the first months, it had a steeper path at launch, it had to "waste" a major revision early, ditching Kinect from standard equipment, so it could have a long life too, but with lower sales.
Wii U is still the cheapest, despite the expensive controller, and it has the games Ninty fans want, so the problem must be mainly in marketing (BTW MS and Sony can have either excellent or awful marketing too, so they both are still in time to damage their products, MS already did it before launch, just like Ninty, and Sony isn't Sony anymore if during 8th gen it won't make any of its marketing blunders too ).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!