By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I don't think the PS4 will pass 100m

garretslarrity said:
Lawlight said:
garretslarrity said:
I think people sometimes forget that the PS2 sold 150M because it sold a lot to casuals, just as the Wii did, but for different reasons.

And what were the casuals playing?

They were playing with the DVD player.

Why not buy a cheaper one when DVD players were cheaper than the PS2 1 year after the latter was released?

Around the Network
Rafux said:
burninmylight said:
kljesta64 said:
garretslarrity said:
I think people sometimes forget that the PS2 sold 150M because it sold a lot to casuals, just as the Wii did, but for different reasons.

pretty much the same reason a lot of shovelware.

Mostly  because it was a cheap mid-tier DVD player when those things were still fairly new to the mass market.

Can't we stop with this "PS2 sold because it was a cheap DVD player" ?

Just go and look at the games released from the first holyday on, PS2 practically had a monopoly on the biggest franchises GTA, MGS, FF, PES/FIFA add Sony's exclusives to that list like GOW and GT it was crazy I was there.

I'm not saying that's the only, or main reason it sold. But that DVD player got it into a lot of homes.

ikki5 said:

PS4 is not doing great. It is doing moderate. It is doing great compared to the other consoles but over all, it is moderate at best. But I do agree with you, it will not pass 100m. It'll hit probably somewhere between 70-80 mil or at least that is where I am guessing.

My thoughts exactly.

nice

There is no way it reaches that amount till the next gen. It won't do better than Wii. Sonyboys can daydream though!

WiiU has been growing and Xb1 will start showing its teeth, hurting ps4.

NickK said:
There is no way it reaches that amount till the next gen. It won't do better than Wii. Sonyboys can daydream though!

snort*

Around the Network
ExplodingBlock said:

Recently with alot of peoples predictions, they said they think will think PS4 will sell over 100 million units

While I admit, the PS4 is doing great but if you look at the sales of the PS3 it was selling 150k every week and that didn't even do 90m, plus it was on the market for 7+ years

The only way I think it can pass 100m is if it is on the market for 9+ years and continues to sell after the PS5 comes out

This argument doesn't really make sense. The ps4 is selling better than the ps3. I'm not sure if the ps4 will sell that well either, but I don't see how this argument proves it at all. Most weeks the ps3 didn't do 150k. Holiday sales make up a massive amount of sales, so we won't really be able to guess how well the ps4 might sell until holiday season. 

Danman27 said:
ExplodingBlock said:

Recently with alot of peoples predictions, they said they think will think PS4 will sell over 100 million units

While I admit, the PS4 is doing great but if you look at the sales of the PS3 it was selling 150k every week and that didn't even do 90m, plus it was on the market for 7+ years

The only way I think it can pass 100m is if it is on the market for 9+ years and continues to sell after the PS5 comes out

This argument doesn't really make sense. The ps4 is selling better than the ps3. I'm not sure if the ps4 will sell that well either, but I don't see how this argument proves it at all. Most weeks the ps3 didn't do 150k. Holiday sales make up a massive amount of sales, so we won't really be able to guess how well the ps4 might sell until holiday season. 

PS3 had a really slow start

NickK said:

What? The wiiU didn't even manage to outsell the ps4 the weeks it's all time (possibly ever) biggest game came out. 

And the xbox one has shown its teeth. Titanfall barely made the xbox one outsell the ps4 on a normal week. The ps4 is also selling more after the price drop. 

ExplodingBlock said:
Danman27 said:
ExplodingBlock said:

That doesn't change the fact that the ps4 is one of the fastest (I think the fastest) selling console of all time. I think the ps4 is going to have a shorter life cycle, and that's why it won't break 100 million. And you're not paying attention to my comment. The ps3 almost never sold 150k a week. So the biggest point you're making isn't accurate. 

Danman27 said:
ExplodingBlock said:
Danman27 said:
ExplodingBlock said:

That doesn't change the fact that the ps4 is one of the fastest (I think the fastest) selling console of all time. I think the ps4 is going to have a shorter life cycle, and that's why it won't break 100 million. And you're not paying attention to my comment. The ps3 almost never sold 150k a week. So the biggest point you're making isn't accurate. 

It was the fastest selling at launch, not anymore

PS4 is not doing great, it is doing fine along with the 3DS. The only reason people think its doing amazing is because of the sales of Xbox One, Wii U, and PSV