By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yoshida: I don't understand people who only want AAA

KLXVER said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Yoshida has been their since the PS1, he got promoted with the release of PS4. Part of the the massive reconstruction that people have been saying Sony has been undergoing. He's basically taken Kaz's spot and Kaz has taken Kutaragi's spot I think. 

Really? What did he use to do? Iwata started out as a programmer.

His wiki article is pretty small.

Shuhei Yoshida (吉田修平 Yoshida Shuhei?) is President of Sony's Worldwide Studios for Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Yoshida is among those responsible for the creation of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.'s 170-person internal product development team. His internal product development operation includes studios in Foster City, Calif., San Diego, Calif., Santa Monica, Calif., Bend, Oregon, and Salt Lake City, Utah.

Sony Computer Entertainment[edit]

Yoshida joined Sony Corporation in 1986, where he was involved in the corporate strategy group, as well as coordinating the PC business. Additionally, he was one of the initial members of the PlayStation project in February 1993, where as the lead account executive he headed Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.'s third party licensing program. Yoshida has many best-selling titles under his belt, including SCEA's premier online game with voice-enabled headset Socom: U.S. Navy Seals, as well as Jak and Daxter, Twisted Metal: Black, and ATV Offroad Fury. In the studio, Yoshida was executive producer for; Gran Turismo, Ape Escape, The Legend of Dragoon, and other titles.

tl;dr

In the year of 2013, Yoshida gained significant popularity due to his largely increased openness and presence with consumers and the gaming industry around the announcement and the launch of the PlayStation 4. This was mainly achieved by breaking news and frequently answering questions from consumers via his Twitter account, appearing as a guest on various gaming podcasts, being featured in official PlayStation videos, among other things which he still does to this day.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Like Phil Harrison or MiyamotoIwata

Its unfortunate that I have to use CEOs rather than other heads.

Miyamoto and Iwata has always been like this. Where was Yoshida 2 years ago? He just suddenly popped up...

Suddenly popped up?  Yoshida has been head of World Wide Studios for years.  He's not only given the most credit for turning Playstation around with the PS4 but also for the positive changes with the PS3.  He has been with Playstation from the very beginning.  

pokoko said:
KLXVER said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Like Phil Harrison or MiyamotoIwata

Its unfortunate that I have to use CEOs rather than other heads.

Miyamoto and Iwata has always been like this. Where was Yoshida 2 years ago? He just suddenly popped up...

Suddenly popped up?  Yoshida has been head of World Wide Studios for years.  He's not only given the most credit for turning Playstation around with the PS4 but also for the positive changes with the PS3.  He has been with Playstation from the very beginning.  

I had never heard of him before 2013. Might have heard the name, but didnt recognize him.

I have one last question. What exactly does Yoshida do? He isn't or was a developer, right?

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

Pretty clear this strategy is working for the Vita..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

t

kitler53 said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
gooch_destroyer said:

"I do realise that some people are only interested in big-budget AAA games. I don't really understand those people"

What an idiot.  I want steak.  Not a god damned salad(salmon, tuna or some other light meat).  Is that so hard to understand?   Those other meats or salad does not have the same role as steak and it certainly doesn't help if I have an appetite for steak.   

you should aim for a more balanced diet or you'll have some serious diarrhea.

Let him eat only his steak and rot his colon. I'll enjoy a nice salmon myself.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

vivster said:
kitler53 said:
vivster said:
Indies are only successful because there are not enough AAA games.

the success of certain AAA games is because there are not enough AAA games.

indies are sucessful because they are fullfulling gaming needs AAA completely ignore.  there is no such thing as a AAA shump.  there are no AAA puzzle games.  there are no AAA platformers (they get AA at best).

i enjoy playing fps team death match from time to time,..  but i play indie because only playing fps team death match would be so incredibily boring i would quit gaming.   thank god indies exist.

Guess why no AAA puzzle games exist. Because people are content with their low budget puzzle games. They wouldn't even know the joy of a AAA puzzle game. Of course they don't miss things that they never experieced. Like how medieval people didn't need toilets and were thankful for the holes in the ground they could use.

The notion that AAA games would stay as stale and generic if there was more of them is ridiculous. The reason why AAA games get away with their blandness is because there is next to no competition. More AAA games, more competition, more innovation.

no AAA puzzle game exist because no puzzle game no matter how good will ever sell 10+ million units.  as a puzzle game a aficionado i would love to have a AAA puzzle game.  i loved riven and exile which are probably the AAAest puzzle games i can think of and they stopped making that series when it failed to sell well enough.  you've maybe noticed i'm enormously excited about the witness.  how many units do you think it will sell?  is there any artistic choice that could make that game recoup it's costs on the current AAA model of no less than a $30 million investment?

no.  no there isn't.

indies fullfill me.  indies complete me.  i heart indies.

I like all games. I don't care if they're high budget, mid budget, indie, or even mobile.

What I look at is overall value. Honestly, a good amount of indies have better value than AAA's.

$15 VS $60...the game better be worth 4X more.

Torillian said:
It's a pretty common thought process unfortunately and isn't just thrown against Indie titles. Often I hear in the staff chat that there aren't enough JRPGs and it was such a lame generation for them. I then toss out smaller games like the Atelier series to show that there are great games out there if you're willing to step outside of their standard comfort zone and then they'll scoff at the idea of playing a game with below 8 on metacritic. In some ways I can understand the idea of not having all the time in the world and only wanting to play games of a certain quality, but don't complain to me about not having enough games of a specific genre to play if you ignore the great games that already are releasing for that genre.

This makes me die inside.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

kowenicki said:
KLXVER said:
Im sick of this guy tbh. He seems like the "lovable" guy Sony pulls out when they are getting critizised for something...

He's ok, cuddly in a non threatening kind of way.

But he needs to learn to stop being a "yes" man to everything he is asked, particularly by the fans. 

like Phil Spencer?