By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yoshida: I don't understand people who only want AAA

AlphaCielago said:
I have one last question. What exactly does Yoshida do? He isn't or was a developer, right?

He's the head of World Wide Studios.  He runs first party development and deals with third party developers and publishers.  Basically, he is in charge of Playstation content.  Of course, he also has substantial influence on the hardware side, as well. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
gooch_destroyer said:

"I do realise that some people are only interested in big-budget AAA games. I don't really understand those people"

What an idiot.  I want steak.  Not a god damned salad(salmon, tuna or some other light meat).  Is that so hard to understand?   Those other meats or salad does not have the same role as steak and it certainly doesn't help if I have an appetite for steak.   

Before you go about calling people idiots try and at least be sure that you are not saying something extremely idiotic due primarily to your aparent lack of english comprehension.

He said "I do realise some people are only interested in big-budget AAA games. I don't understand those poeple"

What you are saying would hold true if there were no AAA games on the PS4/XB1 or if he was saying that people should play indies instead of AAA. But thats not what he said. He said he doesn't understand how poeple could ONLY be interested in AAA games. Using your poorly chosen analogy, that would be like saying... there are tons of ice cream flavours out there, I cannot understand how some people only want to eat vanilla ice cream and nothing else. Or better yet, I can not understand how people would only want to play shooters and nothing else.

Take the time to read what is actually being said before you start reaching for you pitch fork.

Sounds like someone has never dealt with children before. I probably should have said that I understand persons whom are single minded or narrow mined in their search for entertainment, gratification, hobbies, and personal consumption patterns. I don't think it's very hard to grasp at all. I'm actually genuinely terrified if he doesn't.  

That's good to hear coming from Shu, one of the things that bugged me about last generation is how it seemed that a game could only be good if it's AAA. Which I think is a highly unrealistic expectation, not every developer has millions of dollars to throw at a game, and they don't need all that money to make a game good.

kitler53 said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
gooch_destroyer said:

"I do realise that some people are only interested in big-budget AAA games. I don't really understand those people"

What an idiot.  I want steak.  Not a god damned salad(salmon, tuna or some other light meat).  Is that so hard to understand?   Those other meats or salad does not have the same role as steak and it certainly doesn't help if I have an appetite for steak.   

you should aim for a more balanced diet or you'll have some serious diarrhea.

And quite possibly colon cancer >_>;

the-pi-guy said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
the-pi-guy said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

"Games are only good when they cost millions of dollars."

If you really believe that is what I'm saying I'm pretty shocked.  AAA games aren't even for me anymore as a general rule. I understand people whom are singleminded or narrowminded in their apetites, hobbies and cosumption patterns is what I should have said had I thought this analogy of food and appetite would be misconstrued as such.   

I'm not even sure what your point is anymore.  

This is what he said.  His point is that we shouldn't ONLY play AAA titles, he doesn't understand why people would play games only when they cost millions of dollars (AAA titles).  You said you wanted steak to say that you wanted AAA titles, so you either didn't understand what he meant or you were being sarcastic.  If you didn't understand what he meant, you should reread it.  If you were being sarcastic (which evidentally it doesn't seem to be that you were) then my comment was adding to your point.  You even called him an idiot for that sentence, which doesn't really make sense to me.  

Some people only like certain things.  Nothing else will satisfy their needs for what they want.  I get that and I woner why he can't. 

Around the Network
AlphaCielago said:
I have one last question. What exactly does Yoshida do? He isn't or was a developer, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuhei_Yoshida

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

kitler53 said:
no AAA puzzle game exist because no puzzle game no matter how good will ever sell 10+ million units.  as a puzzle game a aficionado i would love to have a AAA puzzle game.  i loved riven and exile which are probably the AAAest puzzle games i can think of and they stopped making that series when it failed to sell well enough.  you've maybe noticed i'm enormously excited about the witness.  how many units do you think it will sell?  is there any artistic choice that could make that game recoup it's costs on the current AAA model of no less than a $30 million investment?

no.  no there isn't.

indies fullfill me.  indies complete me.  i heart indies.

I hope you realize that this is all hypothetical. I'm talking about a world where gamers have more money and companies have more funds to produce AAA games.

Indie games are nothing more than a compromise because we can't have any better. A coping mechanism because gamers crave more games but can't have all of them because it's fucking expensive. Which leads me back to my original statement that indies wouldn't be nearly as popular if we had enough high profile games to play. Indie games are in no way superior to AAA games by default is what I want to say.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The only difference between AAA and Indie or AA is budget. Unfortunately, the more money you are given, the more obligations you have and the lest risk you can take. Which leads to stagnation, the dream is to have a blank check/cheque with no strings attached.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

vivster said:
Indies are only successful because there are not enough AAA games.

No, they are successful becuase they are fun, innovative, cheap, and can stand to serve a much smaller market than a hundred million dollar AAA game requires just to turn a profit. I saw you mention it would be cool if 5 AAA games released a month... which just can't happen. The industry can't sustain that. The development would be too intensive and the customers would not be there for that many games, flops would be all over the place and almost no one would turn a profit.

You can make an indie game niche for niche tastes. You can't make a AAA game niche, no matter the amount of money customers have, because you still need millions to buy it. (unless you expect customers with niche tastes to pay $500 a game or something to sustain that market. Of course, no one will do that and it will still fall apart.)

vivster said:
kitler53 said:
no AAA puzzle game exist because no puzzle game no matter how good will ever sell 10+ million units.  as a puzzle game a aficionado i would love to have a AAA puzzle game.  i loved riven and exile which are probably the AAAest puzzle games i can think of and they stopped making that series when it failed to sell well enough.  you've maybe noticed i'm enormously excited about the witness.  how many units do you think it will sell?  is there any artistic choice that could make that game recoup it's costs on the current AAA model of no less than a $30 million investment?

no.  no there isn't.

indies fullfill me.  indies complete me.  i heart indies.

I hope you realize that this is all hypothetical. I'm talking about a world where gamers have more money and companies have more funds to produce AAA games.

Indie games are nothing more than a compromise because we can't have any better. A coping mechanism because gamers crave more games but can't have all of them because it's fucking expensive. Which leads me back to my original statement that indies wouldn't be nearly as popular if we had enough high profile games to play. Indie games are in no way superior to AAA games by default is what I want to say.

hmm.. well i wasn't working the hypothetical space i guess.