By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yoshida: I don't understand people who only want AAA

Bad thing is, there are no mid-budget games almost anymore. In 6th and 5th (and sometime in the 7th) eras, about anyone could make a successful game sell easily and without big budgets. There were franchises that looked gorgeous but there were also budget-tight games that run well and weren't expensive to make. Nowadays that middle is disappearing, leaving us AAA games and indies mostly. Sad but true

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network
nitekrawler1285 said:
pokoko said:

No.  Listen.  What he's saying is that he doesn't understand the mentality of someone who uses game budget over game quality as a means of deciding what they play.  It's like someone saying they'll only watch a movie if it cost over 100 million dollars to make.  It's a horrible way to make decisions.

I can understand that sentiment if that is what he means.  It just then seems hypocritical when Sony is #1 in TV advertising spending. Are they making a horrible decision? Or can it be had both ways?  

I ... have no idea what you are saying.  I've read your post like six times and I do not understand at all.

the-pi-guy said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

Yes.  Coming from a developer whom has likely put out more games and even has a publisher to back them and invest to get copies on the shelves which some store has purhcased already and pay to let the market know about the game aka advertising already kinda has a seal of approval by many different parties as to the AAA product. Even if the games do look identical.  Which I wouldn't say is true of most non AAA games.   

Bold: speculation, there are some indie developers that were headed up by people who used to work at AAA studios and some AAA studios that likely didn't make very many games.  

Underline:  That's the only difference. 

Italics:  Have you seen No Man's Sky?  Guess which it is: indie or AAA?

For one I said likely. Which is a pretty big admission that it's absolute. Though publishers are simply more willing to endorse developers whom have released multiple high scoring games that sold well.  

Even if it is the only difference that's a HUGE difference.  To pretend it doesn't make any difference in customer's mind I think would be incorrect of all of us. Otherwise advertising wouldn't be a big business at all. 

Once again I said that isn't true of MOST non AAA games.  Meaning that obviously there will be exceptions.  

pokoko said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
pokoko said:

No.  Listen.  What he's saying is that he doesn't understand the mentality of someone who uses game budget over game quality as a means of deciding what they play.  It's like someone saying they'll only watch a movie if it cost over 100 million dollars to make.  It's a horrible way to make decisions.

I can understand that sentiment if that is what he means.  It just then seems hypocritical when Sony is #1 in TV advertising spending. Are they making a horrible decision? Or can it be had both ways?  

I ... have no idea what you are saying.  I've read your post like six times and I do not understand at all.

I don't think the point "What he's saying is that he doesn't understand the mentality of someone who uses game budgetover game quality as a means of deciding what they play." is a bad one.

If that is his point  why do they have such a high budget for advertising?  Does that not only lead to a place where customers are more likely to do the opposite of his point.  That contrast in point and action causes dissonance for me. 

Is that clear?

pokoko said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
pokoko said:

I think he's erronesly confusing Sony's Tv Advertising budget with Yoshida's opinion on choosing a game based on its budget rather than its quality.

Its a nonsequitor.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
nitekrawler1285 said:

Sounds like someone has never dealt with children before. I probably should have said that I understand persons whom are single minded or narrow mined in their search for entertainment, gratification, hobbies, and personal consumption patterns. I don't think it's very hard to grasp at all. I'm actually genuinely terrified if he doesn't.  

Yh, maybe you should have voiced your opinion better and not just start off calling someone an idiot. That aside, even what you are saying now is not the same thing.

Lets look at tekken revolution. Digital only multiplayer only release of tekken. Yet it has everything that the standalone tekken release has with exception to a single player mode and story and a limited chracter roaster. Its also free to play. By indie standards, its safe to assume that tekken revolution is an indie game. 

then lets look at no mans sky, the witness, journey and rime. All indie games, and you will be hard pressed to find any games like them even in the AAA field. Now also look at games like stryder... its basically what AAA games were say 15-20yrs ago. 

Point is, these are all great games. And in most cases the major difference betwen AAA games and indie games is how long they are. So it makes very little sense when someone writes off a game even simply cause they aren't as long as the AAA games they are accustomed to and conveniently forget that they usually also cost less.

So while you may say its simple to understand if you want to look at it from an extremely limited perspective, I stand by him in saying I don't get why a great game suddenly becomes crap simply cause it doesn't cost $60 and have a ridiculous marketing push to boot.

the-pi-guy said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

I don't think the point "What he's saying is that he doesn't understand the mentality of someone who uses game budgetover game quality as a means of deciding what they play." is a bad one.

If that is his point  why do they have such a high budget for advertising?  Does that not only lead to a place where customers are more likely to do the opposite of his point.  That contrast in point and action causes dissonance for me. 

Is that clear?

He isn't saying only buy indie games.  He is saying that we can have both.  Have some steak and potatoes!  

More like steak and potato field...

cos they market AAA as superior games. people want play superior games instead of inferior.

Skidonti said:

Okay, in the hypothetical land where we can spend infinite money on our work and still live comfortably maybe AAA games would rule, but I still think there are other flaws in this completely impossible scenario.

I like playing Tetris. I like playing Tetris a lot. What value is added to my game of Tetris when the development budget rises from a few thousand dollars to 50 million dollars? Now my games of Tetris can be interrupted by Hollywood cutscenes and be officially scored by John WIlliams with narration by Morgan Freeman? That money adds no value to my game. For a more indie example, replace "Tetris" with "Super Hexagon".

Spending more money on something doesn't make it better. Bloated budgets often create bloated games. Some types of games are inherently low budget and cannot be improved by massive budgets.

Additionally, a game can have an intentionally low budget by artistic intent. For an example from another medium, do you think people that really enjoy creating chiptune music would, if suddenly provided with infinite money, take their chiptune melodies and get the London Symphony Orchestra to record them instead?

If I like playing the cheap and simple to produce game of chess, is my game improved if I spend millions coating the board in jewels and ivory?

EDIT: I'm not trying to attack you or your idea. I just want to make the point that money does not a better game make. Leaving things out of your experience by design is often a better decision than including as many things as you can.

sooo muuuch fuuun.

nitekrawler1285 said:
pokoko said:

Is that clear?

Well, yeah, but it still doesn't make any sense.  There seems to be a disconnect between what you think he's saying and what I think he's saying.

Sony wants you to buy a PS4.  They want you to buy AAA games.  They want you to buy some downloadable titles off PSN, too.  No where is he saying not to buy AAA games.  AT ALL.  He is simply saying that he does not understand those who complain that there aren't enough games to play while passing over games that aren't AAA.  He's talking about people who ONLY WANT AAA TITLES.