By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yoshida: I don't understand people who only want AAA

The only "AAA" game series I played and enjoyed last gen were Sleeping Dogs, Gears of War 1-3 and Fallout 3(and some Nintendo games, but I dont know if people consider them AAA), and I game all the time. I am not really sure what AAA is I just like a bunch of games.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
kupomogli said:

Yoshida, I don't think you understand your fanbase in general.

It's pretty clear you don't understand the fanbase. Game Quality is generally more important to gamers then its budget.

I wasn't referring to the topic.  I was referring to Yoshida in general, or did you forget about all his latest comments.  In the past month or two, he's said how he, and Sony, thinks PS Vita fans love indies and that they'll be pushing indies harder.  How he thinks indies are the future so Sony's will be publishing less retail titles.  Let's not forget that comment that was a slap in the face to any Vita owner, how the Vita is a great companion to the PS4, so they're not going to be developing much on the Vita, but hey, you can remote play.

He's one of Sony's voices, but he's one of their bigger voices being President of SCE World Wide Studios.  And yeah.  Those comments above clearly show he doesn't have the best interest for anyone who wants a decent game.  Atleast 99% of all indie games are garbage.  There is the very rare gem in the bunch and those gems are rather average compared to most retail games, but we've already discussed this in another thread so not going to bother again.   Hey, we're abandoning the Vita.  Hey, indie indie indie indie.  Out of Iwata and Yoshida, I know who I'd like to be removed from their position.

vivster said:

EpicRandy said:

vivster said:
Indies are only successful because there are not enough AAA games.

indies are successful because they bring innovation and/or simple fun gameplay, something AAA rarely do.

If there were more AAA games, there would be more innovation in those games ;)

Think like 5 AAA games per month. They'd have to innovate to stand out much like indies are forced to innovate to stand out in the crowd of mass produced games.

Current AAA games don't have to be innovative because gamers crave them and are happy for anything polished.

This is the craziest thing I've ever heard.

nitekrawler1285 said:
gooch_destroyer said:

"I do realise that some people are only interested in big-budget AAA games. I don't really understand those people"

What an idiot.  I want steak.  Not a god damned salad(salmon, tuna or some other light meat).  Is that so hard to understand?   Those other meats or salad does not have the same role as steak and it certainly doesn't help if I have an appetite for steak.   

I love a medium rare New York Strip.  But I also love sushi, buffalo wings, a home style hamburger, an oyster poboy, a grilled chicked chef salad, a loaded baked potato, lasagna, grilled pork loin, etc.  I'm so glad I game (and eat) by my own preferences and not sheepishly follow the masses.

kupomogli said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
kupomogli said:

Yoshida, I don't think you understand your fanbase in general.

It's pretty clear you don't understand the fanbase. Game Quality is generally more important to gamers then its budget.

I wasn't referring to the topic.  I was referring to Yoshida in general, or did you forget about all his latest comments.  In the past month or two, he's said how he, and Sony, thinks PS Vita fans love indies and that they'll be pushing indies harder.  How he thinks indies are the future so Sony's will be publishing less retail titles.  Let's not forget that comment that was a slap in the face to any Vita owner, how the Vita is a great companion to the PS4, so they're not going to be developing much on the Vita, but hey, you can remote play.

He's one of Sony's voices, but he's one of their bigger voices being President of SCE World Wide Studios.  And yeah.  Those comments above clearly show he doesn't have the best interest for anyone who wants a decent game.  Atleast 99% of all indie games are garbage.  There is the very rare gem in the bunch and those gems are rather average compared to most retail games, but we've already discussed this in another thread so not going to bother again.   Hey, we're abandoning the Vita.  Hey, indie indie indie indie.  Out of Iwata and Yoshida, I know who I'd like to be removed from their position.

Kotaku sum it up pretty well. It is an unexpected direction for the Vita, but it's software lineup now is fantastic, and it's lower budget games and indies that have done that.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

I just bought and downloaded Wizardry for the PS3 over the PSN for $9.99. As much as I can appreciate a quality AAA FPS, I'd play a game like Wizardry over a AAA FPS most any day.

I don't see Indie games as really being all that much more innovative or otherwise per capita. They are simply far more numerous nowadays, but the majority are still repetitive rehashes of usually the same platforming/survival/rpg design with little more than a swap of skins.

If anything, indies are more of an excuse than anything, for beefing up a library with exactly the same issues that AAA games have nowadays: tons of the same thing over and over and over.

My problem with Sony's approach is simple: I did not buy a ps4 to play indie games and I suspect that most who made the purchase feel the same way. When I see them spending so much time on indies, I just feel like it's bandaid to hide the fact that they are lacking games. IMO these sorts of games are better suited for mobile and handhelds not home consoles.

Hopefully these indie devs will improve to bigger and better things over time because right now I just have no interest in their stuff.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
My problem with Sony's approach is simple: I did not buy a ps4 to play indie games and I suspect that most who made the purchase feel the same way. When I see them spending so much time on indies, I just feel like it's bandaid to hide the fact that they are lacking games. IMO these sorts of games are better suited for mobile and handhelds not home consoles.

Hopefully these indie devs will improve to bigger and better things over time because right now I just have no interest in their stuff.

Sony can neither rush its third parties nor its first-parties.

As of now, You either get nothing or you get indie games.

At the very least they are filling the void, rather than just leaving it open.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

They are dumb couch potato with no taste, no culture, no intelligence and unfortunately, or at least according to the industrials, they're a majority so they should be the one targetted by game makers...

But I believe all those who became successful franchises, sold a lot and create a legacy are those who take from great art direction, design, gameplay or innovation. rather that dumb AAA titles.

Remember that some Indie titles sell millions, sometimes mores than some AAA titles...