By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yoshida: I don't understand people who only want AAA

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Pristine20 said:
My problem with Sony's approach is simple: I did not buy a ps4 to play indie games and I suspect that most who made the purchase feel the same way. When I see them spending so much time on indies, I just feel like it's bandaid to hide the fact that they are lacking games. IMO these sorts of games are better suited for mobile and handhelds not home consoles.

Hopefully these indie devs will improve to bigger and better things over time because right now I just have no interest in their stuff.

Sony can neither rush its third parties nor its first-parties.

As of now, You either get nothing or you get indie games.

At the very least they are filling the void, rather than just leaving it open.

I agree with you however, don't you think the console was somewhat rushed in that case? Consoles should be released when they have games close to market not when they have nothing even planned yet. I however do realize that they needed to rush to setup the strategy was necessary to best the competition. I just wish that the whole company had gotten with the program early.

For an example, what if the last of us had been developed for PS4 or at the very least PS3+4 from the get go? What of GT6? See, things could have easily been somewhat different even with just their 1st party.

More power to those who do love the indies though. They are just not the reason I bought a next-gen console.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

I just want RPGs...with the occasional AAA RPG.

Hence I agree with my man Yoshida, and dont get it. (also why I love my Vita)

Then what's the point of getting a PlayStation 4???

the-pi-guy said:
TheDarkTriforce said:
Then what's the point of getting a PlayStation 4???

The point of getting a PS4 is AAA games?  I thought it was just for games.  I didn't know they had to be AAA.

I don't need to spent 400 Dollar just for Indie games!!!

Mr Khan said:
The contraction of the AAA market is what leads to the same-ification. The fact that No Man's Sky gets the space it does speaks more to the rise in prominence to AAA alternatives.

LBP3 was nice to see, though they should have made sure that the people playing the game actually knew how to play the damn game.

I have to disagree. I think they played just fine and the mistakes they made were actually perfect because they showed what happens with this new game when one of your friends messes up or can't get somewhere one their own. The bird can carry them wherever necessary. Part of me thinks it was intentional. Either way, i found it a good idea.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

Sounds like someone has never dealt with children before. I probably should have said that I understand persons whom are single minded or narrow mined in their search for entertainment, gratification, hobbies, and personal consumption patterns. I don't think it's very hard to grasp at all. I'm actually genuinely terrified if he doesn't.  

Yh, maybe you should have voiced your opinion better and not just start off calling someone an idiot. That aside, even what you are saying now is not the same thing.

So while you may say its simple to understand if you want to look at it from an extremely limited perspective, I stand by him in saying I don't get why a great game suddenly becomes crap simply cause it doesn't cost $60 and have a ridiculous marketing push to boot.

I would appreciate if you did not tell me what I should and shouldn't do.  I most certainly never suggested what you should and shouldn't do. That most certainly doesn't set a great tone for me actually listening to anything you have to say.  

It's great that you agree with him.  I still think he's an idiot if he doesn't understand that some people are singleminded.  No one said anything about a game becoming crap because it isn't $60 or having a ridiculous marketing push.  That's all you and your interpretation of things I've said. 

pokoko said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
pokoko said:

I ... have no idea what you are saying.  I've read your post like six times and I do not understand at all.

I don't think the point "What he's saying is that he doesn't understand the mentality of someone who uses game budgetover game quality as a means of deciding what they play." is a bad one.

If that is his point  why do they have such a high budget for advertising?  Does that not only lead to a place where customers are more likely to do the opposite of his point.  That contrast in point and action causes dissonance for me. 

Is that clear?

Well, yeah, but it still doesn't make any sense.  There seems to be a disconnect between what you think he's saying and what I think he's saying.

Sony wants you to buy a PS4.  They want you to buy AAA games.  They want you to buy some downloadable titles off PSN, too.  No where is he saying not to buy AAA games.  AT ALL.  He is simply saying that he does not understand those who complain that there aren't enough games to play while passing over games that aren't AAA.  He's talking about people who ONLY WANT AAA TITLES.  

So you are saying he doesn't understand people whom chose not to play games that don't appeal to them.  That doesn't sound terribly hard to understand unless he simply isn't trying. 

the-pi-guy said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

For one I said likely. Which is a pretty big admission that it's absolute. Though publishers are simply more willing to endorse developers whom have released multiple high scoring games that sold well.  

Even if it is the only difference that's a HUGE difference.  To pretend it doesn't make any difference in customer's mind I think would be incorrect of all of us. Otherwise advertising wouldn't be a big business at all. 

Once again I said that isn't true of MOST non AAA games.  Meaning that obviously there will be exceptions.  

Nope, you only want steak.  Remember?  There is no room for indie games, even if it looks like steak.  

I don't see how this at all disagrees with me only wanting steak.  It's just talking about how steak is different from beef.   

the-pi-guy said:
RolStoppable said:

The point of any dedicated gaming machine is to get your hands on premium software. If $0-10 games were all you were looking for, then you might as well just play games on a non-dedicated machine (PCs, laptops, tablets, smartphones).

Anyone who says that premium software was the reason why they bought a PS4 or PSV got it right. That doesn't rule out smaller digital games as complementary software.

I agree, but as you said complementary software.  Shu's statement says nothing about no AAA titles, rather he's implying something similar to what you said, that AAA titles can be accompanied by other types of software.  

AAA quality

AAA refers to budget technically, and quality colloquially

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

kowenicki said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Yoshida has been their since the PS1, he got promoted with the release of PS4. Part of the the massive reconstruction that people have been saying Sony has been undergoing. He's basically taken Kaz's spot and Kaz has taken Kutaragi's spot I think. 

Andrew House is CEO of SCE, he replaced Kaz.

Thanks for the correction. Was Yoshida always the president of World Wide Studios or was there someone else before him?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank