By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yoshida: I don't understand people who only want AAA

well thats what you get for shaping your userbase the way you did.

From all the studios sony bought and all the sony published games those studios or sony itself made for PS3 how many % are not "grey/brown" action games? Or realistic looking even if they are another genre? (GranTurismo and Motorstorm etc.)

Sony just focused to much on the western mainstreamer and not on the japanese gamer.

Around the Network

People seriously need to try a variety of games. Playstation Plus allows this very cheaply and let people still bitch and moan. There are too many AAA games as it is, we need something between the low budget Indie and big budget AAA.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

vivster said:
Indies are only successful because there are not enough AAA games.

No, indies are more successfull because they don't need to sell 2 million copies to be profitable. 

The market is not big enough for more AAA games since the time and money we have is limited and the industry is doing nothing to increase gaming population, on the contrary it rejects potential new gamers since a distinction was made between between casual (shitty) games for unexperienced players and hardcore (quality) games for experienced players. This way, as the actual "hardcore" population grows older they will be left empty handed.

pokoko said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
pokoko said:

Well, yeah, but it still doesn't make any sense.  There seems to be a disconnect between what you think he's saying and what I think he's saying.

Sony wants you to buy a PS4.  They want you to buy AAA games.  They want you to buy some downloadable titles off PSN, too.  No where is he saying not to buy AAA games.  AT ALL.  He is simply saying that he does not understand those who complain that there aren't enough games to play while passing over games that aren't AAA.  He's talking about people who ONLY WANT AAA TITLES.  

So you are saying he doesn't understand people whom chose not to play games that don't appeal to them.  That doesn't sound terribly hard to understand unless he simply isn't trying. 

I don't even ...

I've already explained this.  What you are saying is not what he is saying so I can only conclude that you're doing this on purpose.  He's talking about a mind-set that he does not share, one that he does not understand, where people judge a game by budget instead of quality.  Personally, I can't understand that, either.  It would be like someone watching Ishtar, a bad film with a high budget, but skipping Clerks because it was funded on a shoe-string.  I don't know why you're trying to twist this into something else or what you're trying to gain from it.

Now I'm done with this.  I feel bad for trying.

Because you dont share a mindset doesn't mean  you can not understand or even try to empathize.  As a sales person he needs to learn quickly lest he wont be able to sell to anyone but himself. 

There is no where from his words that you can gather that he is talking about people whom judge a game by budget instead of quality.  Those words are never mentioned.  Even in his example I don't see anything relating to budget or quality.  These are words others have put in his mouth.  I can quote him saying he doesn't understand users whom only want AAA games because those words came from him. 

It's funny I'm the one trying to twist something. I'm not the one attributing other things to his words.  That's the people on my case.  

I hope we don't talk about this anymore to be honest.  

Ka-pi96 said:
I don't understand those that don't want more AAA games.

They don't want them because triple A games with ludicrous budgets are getting more and more diminished returns and are contributing to the soon to crash game industry.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network
Xxain said:
I cant stand when industry people complain about the industry they helped to create. Fans have that belief because they're trained to think that way.

That generalization is pretty Naive, the industry is pretty diverse.

I'm sure the AA's who were brutally murdered or engulfed by AAA publishers/devs didn't thank them for it.

And Frankly, I would think that the Console Manufacturers who watch it happen range somewhere between nonchalantness to mild disgust.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

kowenicki said:
I think they have a problem.

The don't want to can PlaystationNow clearly (the bad publicity would be horrific) but... to include a reasonable priced all-you-can eat sub model will be financially non-viable it seems. That just doesn't fit with the new Sony model of profitability first.

I personally think it is unreasonable and unfair on Sony for gamers to demand an all-you-can eat sub model at some of the crazy prices talked about. But then MS learned last year that gamers are seldom fair minded or reasonable people.

I still think that the better idea would be to let people buy liscences at full price and let them play whenever they want. Most people don't play a game that much after they beat it, anyway. If someone pays $40 for the game to keep it, beats it in a week, and then never plays it again, Sony still makes more money than if someone rents the game for a week.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Ka-pi96 said:
I don't understand those that don't want more AAA games.

Because most of them are vastly overrated? Bloated super-budgets do not make better games.

I don't understand people when they say "AAA game"