By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2014 NPD Thread!

RolStoppable said:
Kresnik said:

I'm struggling with that analogy, Rol.

To apply the nearest thing I can think of: TV ratings in the USA.  Nielsen says that most TV shows aren't being watched nearly as much as they were in the late 90's and earlier, due to the advent of more choice (cable); more options for broadcasting (+1 channels; Tivo; internet shows) etc.

Is that it for dedicated TV then?  Does every sitcom that doesn't reach Friends numbers get cancelled?  Every Sci-Fi show that doesn't hit the ratings of Star Trek TNG is swiftly cut? 

Of course not.  Markets adapt.  And yes, it's definitely a case of "lowering your expectations" but such is life.  Mediums of whatever it may be (TV/videogames/books/news delivery etc.) do not stay constant, they change with time.  

I suppose you could call everything bad compared to what it used to be if you wanted.  Which is fine.  But I don't think that just because something has peaked, everything later is automatically terrible.

(Whether these 3DS numbers are actually terrible probably needs a few more years inside this generation to truly assess the damage).

You offer a better analogy, but then jump to something that I never said nor implied. My stance isn't anything like "this is the end of video games".

Even in an environment with tougher market conditions than before, current 3DS sales are something to be concerned about. The DS peaked at above 400k units for non-holiday months, so calling 100k units bad does not mean that everything below the DS peak is terrible. 300k, or even just 200k, would not be considered terrible. But 100k... come on, that's not within the range where you can say that's neither good or bad.

I don't think it will become clear how bad these 3DS sales truly are before the next generation is underway. Right now the conventional wisdom is that dedicated handhelds have nowhere to go but down in the future. But if the next Nintendo handheld shows an upwards trend, the 3DS will be exposed for the failure that it is.

A 75% drop Gen to Gen sure is a matter for concern, and general gaming haven't dropped so far to consider this normal for a single platform. 

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

VGC needs to adjust US XB1 sales down by ~25,000 per week for the past five weeks. What will they do?

My 8th gen collection

3ds at 106k, its all over neogaf.

They got those numbers from last year handheld sales were somewhere about 30-40% down YoY. Meaning subtracting 3.3k from it (vita) and psp+ds numbers 3ds was around 101k-109k. So thats where the number 106k is from :)

106k? Eh! It could have been much worse!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Apart from the XBO and the PSV, VGC was pretty darn accurate on other hardware sales.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Apart from the XBO and the PSV, VGC was pretty darn accurate on other hardware sales.

Yea it was :) Sucks that X1 was nearly half of the tracking! PSV was tripled!!!

I said it awhile back that people should expect a 3-5k month vita but i didn't pursue it cuz i felt bad. Well at least the vita slim seems to be doing good! (vgc has it undertracked like crazy past week!)

Titan Fall bundles still exist, those are cheaper value wise then the Kinectless - SKU

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Titan Fall bundles still exist, those are cheaper value wise then the Kinectless - SKU

Yes, i rather buy that, but thats just me! I really dont kno if i want to buy an X1 or a PS4 now :-/  I love Halo. Sunset Overdrive looking good as well. Damn!!!!

tbone51 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Yes, i rather buy that, but thats just me! I really dont kno if i want to buy an X1 or a PS4 now :-/  I love Halo. Sunset Overdrive looking good as well. Damn!!!!

Luckily, Halo 5 comes out next year.

Purchased PS4 on Black Friday 2013,

If Smash 4 comes out before Black Friday, not in Decemeber, then I will get a Wii U this year,

And when Halo 5 comes out I will probably get a Xbox 1 on Black Friday 2015.

Unfortunately, the Xbox 1 doesn't have any games.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
tbone51 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Luckily, Halo 5 comes out next year.

Purchased PS4 on Black Friday 2013,

If Smash 4 comes out before Black Friday, not in Decemeber, then I will get a Wii U this year,

And when Halo 5 comes out I will probably get a Xbox 1 on Black Friday 2015.

Unfortunately, the Xbox 1 doesn't have any games.

this is why im stuck, ps4>x1 butttttt my favorite shooter (halo) and the exclusive sunset overdrive is making me lean to X1 :-/

All i mostly care for is FFXV+Kingdom Hearts 3