By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2014 NPD Thread!

Aerys said:
Burek : But not everybody will know for the price drop.

I believe you are wrong there. How often does someone go out and spend $500 blindly, without knowing anything about the product.

If it were a can of soup about to go from 99 to 79 cents, sure, why wait. 

But if I decide to spend $500 on a piece of electronics, you can be sure I'm getting informed. Google, youtube etc. are at everyone's disposal now. So the first thing any sensible person would do is find out about Kinect removal from his very first google search.

People today, even the most casual buyers, read up on their potential purchases, and are very informed. I assure you that most everyone who is deliberating purchasing a console knows about the imminent price drop. Heck, it's even advertised on Amazon and other online shops...

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Aerys said:

Then nothing will change.

agreed. To me the kinect features were a wildcard. Would they catch on. who knew. No we have 2X 399 consoles one being more powerful than the other. I always said a 399 XB1 w/ Kinect was there only shot to beat the PS4 in US (forgot WW, not even an interesting discussion).

Only way XB1 beats PS4 in US is something like-   MS buy GTA6 exclusive, MS buys CoD Exclusive, or a combination of a bunch of other IPs. Notice All involved MS BUYING. The fact they dont innovate their own shit is catching up to them, You can only buy success so long.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I wonder how the WiiU will sell next month and in June with MK8.

Burek said:
Aerys said:

I believe you are wrong there. How often does someone go out and spend $500 blindly, without knowing anything about the product.

But if I decide to spend $500 on a piece of electronics, you can be sure I'm getting informed. Google, youtube etc. are at everyone's disposal now. So the first thing any sensible person would do is find out about Kinect removal from his very first google search.

People today, even the most casual buyers, read up on their potential purchases, and are very informed. I assure you that most everyone who is deliberating purchasing a console knows about the imminent price drop. Heck, it's even advertised on Amazon and other online shops...

No, he's right. A lot pf people won't know. Yes the internet consumed gaming fanbase will but it won't be known to so many thousands of parents buyign for their kids and thousands of people who don't follow video game news. Sales of XBO will increase in May(marginally) imo because of this ignorance and also two new games in the pipeline.

bigjon said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Aerys said:

Then nothing will change.

agreed. To me the kinect features were a wildcard. Would they catch on. who knew. No we have 2X 399 consoles one being more powerful than the other. I always said a 399 XB1 w/ Kinect was there only shot to beat the PS4 in US (forgot WW, not even an interesting discussion).

Only way XB1 beats PS4 in US is something like-   MS buy GTA6 exclusive, MS buys CoD Exclusive, or a combination of a bunch of other IPs. Notice All involved MS BUYING. The fact they dont innovate their own shit is catching up to them, You can only buy success so long.

I just find it odd that some people keep saying that people don't know about the Kinetless SKU or the price drop, as if in some way that changes the reality of the situation as it stands. These people better hope they're wrong if they expect the XB1 to compete in june. As for MS buying exlusivity, I think the window is closing rapidly and the cost of off-setting any loss of revenue by only supporting one console will be getting mighty high. It's not just the game these devs will need to be compensated for, it's any DLC in the pipeline too.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
alrightiwill said:
Burek said:
Aerys said:

No, he's right. A lot pf people won't know. Yes the internet consumed gaming fanbase will but it won't be known to so many thousands of parents buyign for their kids and thousands of people who don't follow video game news. Sales of XBO will increase in May(marginally) imo because of this ignorance and also two new games in the pipeline.

agrred, as I kid I just played games. Every price drop in a console was a huge shock to me. I would assume most people are just as bling today.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

people need to remmber 360 was supply constrained through March 2006. April they sorted it out and May saw 220k. Without supply issues 360 could have easily matched Jan-March ps4... However, ps4 was short too and wihout those issues ps4 would have easily beaten a nonshort 360.

That means stop reading VGC? The numbers are not logical

bigjon said:
alrightiwill said:
Burek said:
Aerys said:

agrred, as I kid I just played games. Every price drop in a console was a huge shock to me. I would assume most people are just as bling today.

Seriously? People are going out spending $500 and don't even know anything about the product they are buying? They can't be even bothered to spend 5 minutes online to get informed? I wish I had that amount of money where I don't care about it...

I won't say that you guys are wrong, it seems that I am the one that's apparently overestimating an average person. I am just baffled by it. I mean, it's not as if console buyers are Amish or grizzled mountain men of northern Montana. If they are buying a console, they at least have an occasional internet access to check up on their potential purchase.

If the three of you think I'm wrong, I probably am. For now, I'll stick to my beliefs regardless, and in about 25 days we'll find out how (un)informed an average American consumer is. 

alrightiwill said:
Burek said:
Aerys said:

Disagree you dont need to be on the internet, it's being advertised everywhere, in stores, flyers, regular sites, everywhere.