By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2014 NPD Thread!

Yep, it was a funny post...

Congrats Sony. My forecast : PS4 will win again May and Jun NPD by a significant margin, because of Watch Dogs, a lot more advertised for PS4, and being the best version.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

VGC was actually pretty close when it comes to Wii U, X360 and PS4. That's not too bad

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Still think Sony and MS kind of messed up with software the past few moths. They both focused on one big game, but other then those you could speak about a drought.

If i look at the games that launched for the 360 from February to April 2006 for example: Full Auto, Fight Night Round 3, Burnout Revenge, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, The Oufit, Elder Scrols IV: Oblivion, Blazing Angels, Dynasty Warriors 5, Far Cry Instincts Predator, Top Spin 2, Rumble Roses XX, Major League Baseball 2K6, FF XI Online, Tomb Raider Legends, N3: Ninety Nine Nights.

Sure most of these are smaller titles, but many different types with a broad appeal. And that is why X360 did over 270k in the U.S. in April.

I think there has been quite a few releases from February to April 2014:

Infamous SS, dead nation, dynasty warriors 8, outlast, lego movie, thief, Rayman legends, strider, Mgs:Gz, stream world, fez, mercenary kings, trials, daylight, octodad, child of light and some others. 

It's been a good mixture of big, small and medium games. 

AnthonyW86 said:

Still think Sony and MS kind of messed up with software the past few moths. They both focused on one big game, but other then those you could speak about a drought.

If i look at the games that launched for the 360 from February to April 2006 for example: Full Auto, Fight Night Round 3, Burnout Revenge, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, The Oufit, Elder Scrols IV: Oblivion, Blazing Angels, Dynasty Warriors 5, Far Cry Instincts Predator, Top Spin 2, Rumble Roses XX, Major League Baseball 2K6, FF XI Online, Tomb Raider Legends, N3: Ninety Nine Nights.

Sure most of these are smaller titles, but many different types with a broad appeal. And that is why X360 did over 270k in the U.S. in April.

And its year lead on the market|lack of significant competition...

Conversely, XB1 and PS4 not only have to compete with each other, but against a console with a year lead, and mobile platforms.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Dannythegamer said:

Are These figures from NPD? I do not trust the data from VGChartz. 

Yes, sales are good. But we have to see the expectations. There are more fans of Sony now that 10 years ago. If we look at the sales of the Xbox 360 (April 2006 - 295K, April 2007 - 174K - both values ​​from NPD) the difference is not that big. Furthermore stocks are already reset. Extraordinary sales, are the sales of the Wii (which was in breach of stock until mid-2008). Sales of PS4 (we can classify them from good to great, but not extraordinary).

The data used in the graphs in my post from earlier is all NPD data. In any case, I would be remiss to not point out that we shouldn't make too big a deal of these early sales figures. The PS4 will likely fall short of what the PS2 did in 2001 and the XBO might just about match what the 360 did in 2006, but sales curves in the long term are impossible to determine. We don't know how much they'll grow over the next couple of years, and we don't know how fast they'll taper after they've peaked. The Wii and PS2 are the two fastest-selling systems in history, and that's a tough act to follow, but being the fastest-selling system ever in your first year or two isn't as important as having strong growth leading into the peak year and having strong legs in the years following the peak year. The Wii sold even faster than the PS2 early on, but ultimately could not outsell the PS2 over the course of its life. Meanwhile, the 360 sold far slower early on but has now passed the Wii to become the second-best-selling console in U.S. history. The PS1 languished for two years in the U.S., being outsold by the N64 for nearly a whole year until Final Fantasy VII came out, and then it took off like a rocket and eventually outsold the N64 by a wide margin. The PS3 sold not too far above GameCube levels in 2007 and 2008 in the U.S. and Japan, but it went on to sell over double what the GC did. The PS4 could go on to sell very well, possibly over 40 or even 50 million units in the U.S. and 120 million or more globally by time it's discontinued. We'll just have to wait and see.

Amazing post :)

Porcupeth said:
PS4 going to drop in May? lol. Yes it's going to drop...a bomb...of huge sales!

Who said that? I've only skipped through the thread so it's possible I've missed something but I think you must have misinterpreted. It's obvious that May is going to be a bigger month for the PS4 than June, especially with Watchdogs and MLBTS launching.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Porcupeth said:

Who said that? I've only skipped through the thread so it's possible I've missed something but I think you must have misinterpreted. It's obvious that May is going to be a bigger month for the PS4 than June, especially with Watchdogs and MLBTS launching.

There were 2 or 3 people wishing- i mean, saying, that they were going to drop in May. Hilarious, I know.

Porcupeth said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Porcupeth said:

There were 2 or 3 people wishing- i mean, saying, that they were going to drop in May. Hilarious, I know.

I'm glad I missed those posts then. lol. Honestly, how can you come to that conclusion? Perhaps you could argue the bump in sales won't be that big, but to say the sales will 'drop'? Come on now.

The PS5 Exists. 

Machiavellian said:
COLD_COBRA_ said:

Such denial and spin in this thread. The PS4 spanking that ass in the 180s only relevant market really cuts deep here. The hopes of PS4 doing less in May is just wishful thinking by some.

Just wondering, are you the type of person to champion something even when it does do that well.  Seeing the PS4 at 199 is a win in a PS4 fanboy book seems petty if you ask me.  Such a drop no matter what the X1 is doing looks like demand is going down big time.  

That Spin....It's one month, ps4 could 5-6 straight like this and still be way ahead of any console before it...it will go up in May again, and will sell very well most months, april was a terrible month with no releases. 360 had many months in the us Below 200k.......