By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2014 NPD Thread!

Shadow1980 said:
kopstudent89 said:

Healthy consoles tend to do 250k+ a month really. PS4 is doing solid numbers but as the leading console it's not *that* impressive. Though, it's still alaunch console so it can be forgiven. Next year will be a better indicator.

The 360 sold less than 250k per month for six months in 2006, and two of those months it sold below 200k. And it was the only seventh-gen system on the market.

Wasnt it still being outsold by the ps2 in that point of time?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
DonFerrari said:

We all know the numbers weren't great, but we can't say they were exactly bad without putting in context that a lot of console were sold in the launch, maybe it acelerated to soon and now it will lag a little to then enter the normal sales curve.

Well, I did post this earlier:

It's worth pointing out that the Wii and 360 were the only ones that actually increased from their first March to their first April, though in every subsequent year they declined from March to April. In fact, the only other instance I could find of a system increasing from March to April was the original Xbox in 2004, and that was because of a price cut.

It's also worth pointing out that the 360 was the only seventh-gen system on the market, and the PS2's only competition was the Dreamcast, which was officially discontinued in March 2001. That the PS4 is doing as well as it is despite having decent competition shows me that it's doing just fine.

That happened because you have nice analytical skills and don't want to complain about the impending doom.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

bigjon said:
DonFerrari said:
kirby007 said:
DonFerrari said:
kirby007 said:
^ first sentence behind the => ,

So you think it's silly to hate people that ask for corrections?

Ofcourse, It's already quite obvious PSV numbers are wrong with the new model

It is funny that a game that wasn't released for X1 were on top 10 (spiderman), and them a game that were just sold as bundle selling more than the HW (even tough the HW could sell some unbundled as well)... But that is crazy funny for me. Before we used the weekly numbers to have an idea of how well HW and SW were selling (not with precision, but ballpark figures) now we use it to guess how much wrong they have got it.

We all we on here each week saying, VGC, these numbers cant be right. Here is the logic behind that. And each week the numbers stayed the same. We all said great now VGC is going to look silly AGAIN come NDP. The numbers kept coming the came. Now NDP happened and honestly it was worse than I feared. I Thought a 200k to 175k was possible, 200k to 150k still likely. I would not have gone as low as 110k.....

It is becoming a joke, every week we enter to see the numbers and have 100% sure that they seriously screwed something... 90% overtracking for one month, tracking games that weren't released, having a HW bundle sell more than the HW itself... and X1's May numbers are probably overtracked (the others we can't be totally sure).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

So are the 3DS numbers confirmed or not? I see a question mark after the sales in the OP so I'm not sure what to believe.

If they are true then I wouldn't be too surprised. VGC is clearly off on many things and over-tracking the 3DS isn't all too surprising either. However, it's not terribly over-tracked, like the XBO. On the other hand, it's not doing well either.

NintendoPie said:
So are the 3DS numbers confirmed or not? I see a question mark after the sales in the OP so I'm not sure what to believe.

If they are true then I wouldn't be too surprised. VGC is clearly off on many things and over-tracking the 3DS isn't all too surprising either. However, it's not terribly over-tracked, like the XBO. On the other hand, it's not doing well either.

106k. Only bad tracking this month was X1 (very bad) and Vita.

edit: Yoshi undertracked by half lol!

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
kopstudent89 said:

Healthy consoles tend to do 250k+ a month really. PS4 is doing solid numbers but as the leading console it's not *that* impressive. Though, it's still alaunch console so it can be forgiven. Next year will be a better indicator.

The 360 sold less than 250k per month for six months in 2006, and two of those months it sold below 200k. And it was the only seventh-gen system on the market.

The 360 didn't peak till it's 6th year as well, it behaved very uncharacteristically. Hard to compare, and selling healthy usually means 4mil minimum in the US market. Dominant consoles tend to sell north of 7m. Wii managed that in its first year, doubt any console will do that, but both XBone and PS4 will have a shot at 4m+

Aerys said:
Predictions for next NPD :

Wii U : 150k

One : 120k ( the announce of price drop will have a much bigger impact than the release of 2 games, including watch dogs)

PS4 : 270k

honestly I think you're ps4 and wiiU predictions might be a tad high... and maybe Xone as well... 110k this month but I'd say could got +/- 20k next month hard to tell with all that is going on

PS4 I doubt will be higher than 250k, and I just don't see Wii U making that big of a jump in sales period

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Kasz216 said:
trixiemafia86 said:

so its baiting bcos of mentioning thedrill not dark_feanor.. don't have the time to read it again but ok. 

No it's baiting for mentioning either of them, because it's done to do nothing but get a rise out of them.

It's just a lot dumber then normal because you mentioned thedrill who was already in the thread at the time.

you still didn't get my post i see. well it doesn't really matter. And the "dumber" part of your comment wasn't needed really because you did not even understand my comment. 

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

papamudd said:
Aerys said:
Predictions for next NPD :

Wii U : 150k

One : 120k ( the announce of price drop will have a much bigger impact than the release of 2 games, including watch dogs)

PS4 : 270k

honestly I think you're ps4 and wiiU predictions might be a tad high... and maybe Xone as well... 110k this month but I'd say could got +/- 20k next month hard to tell with all that is going on

PS4 I doubt will be higher than 250k, and I just don't see Wii U making that big of a jump in sales period

PS4 185k

XB1 83k

WiiU 87k (MK8 bump, it's a bigger series than many give credence to, but yeah 150k is bananas for May, not gonna happen)