By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One isn't Number One, but that does not equal 'Doing Terribly.'

arcane_chaos said:
I agree, just because the XB1 is not selling as good as the Ps4 deosn't mean it's doing poorly, however Vitrobahille you reasoing is a little off with Bananaking, I mean if every now and then the XB1 outsells the PS4 on a weekly basis but the PS4 wins the month overall it quite a moot point no?

It's a sign that demand for the Xbox One can't possibly be as dire as some say if it occasionally does well enough to beat the front runner in the biggest territory for VG sales on a weekly basis. Not trying to say the Xbox One is beating the PS4's rump because of this, but only that demand for it isn't as pitifully low as many feel the need to suggest.

Around the Network
chapset said:
When the ps3 was doing sub 100k at this point of it's lifetime it was doom so is the X1 it's the circle of life, also don't forget the X1 had plenty sub 70k and 80k weeks

I wasn't hanging around any VG forums in 2007 and if I had been I wouldn't have been ridiculing any consoles. Did Wii fans give a lot of crap to 360 owners at the time? I seriously doubt it. Even if they did: does that make it right/desirable/not ridiculous?

cmeese47 said:

Question isn't being in last place considered poor?

Depends on the context of "last place".

Xbox One is currently sitting in 3rd place behind a record smashing console and a console that launched 12 Months earlier. On the other hand, the Xbox One is the best launch for an Xbox console in history, along with being the most expensive console to boot.

On the other hand, the Xbox 360 is sitting in 3rd place behind the Wii and PS3. It has sold 80 Million units, had a gigantic increase in marketshare, brings in huge profit and has been the dominant console in America for around 3 Years.

Last place? Its not the desired place to be... Doesnt mean its a poor effort.

VitroBahllee said:

Ahh, that makes sense. And it's weird: 360 might be finishing third, but it seemed much more successful at the time. 

Overall, despite selling less than the PS3, Id argue that the 360 is a bigger success story. Like I said in my reply to cmeese47 -

Gigantic increase in marketshare
Bringing in huge profit
Leading console in America and the UK
Huge software sales
Kinect success
Further brand growth in expanding markets

There is a lot of success behind the 360 despite it finishing in 3rd place for the generation. Total sales are just one thing, there is a bigger picture behind the numbers.

VitroBahllee said:
Blood_Tears said:
NPD has PS4 over X1 4 months to 1 thus far but X1 frequently sells more in NA, interesting logic.

I said weekly basis. NPD is by month. I will not continue explaining this distinction. A number of apparent defenders of Sony seem to be very adamant not to recognize this clear fact. I am offended by the curt and disputatious nature of these spurious arguments.

Soooo... it sells more on a weekly basis, yet less monthly? How does... that even make sence? @_____@

bananaking21 said:
Barozi said:

Samsung sells more phones than Apple. I bet Apple is crying right now that they only have the iPhone in that market.

"want" is the key word. Everyone wants to be the best, that obviously can't happen everywhere and before launch you wouldn't say that you would be happy with any result other than being number 1.

They still profit the most, they still sell the most high end smartphones (if i remember correctly), they are still the number 1 tablet maker.  and despite all this, they are at "war" with samsung. using apple actually just proves my point even further. Apple are duking it out with samsung in persuet to have the most market share.

Come on, apple was founded by steve jobs, the guy who wanted to crush IBM, then cursh Microsoft then crush Google. They certainly dont "cry" if their not number one, but they sure as hell want to be. same things goes for microsoft and any other big cooperation. they all have this competitive edge. 

at this point you need to give me proof that PS4 with PS+ members or WiiU actually made more profit than X1 with its Xbox Live users and I doubt there's anything on the net about that.

The rest is as relevant as saying that Microsoft is the number 1 OS developer.
The last paragraph confirms that you agree with me. Wanting to be the best doesn't mean that you can't be happy if you "only" stay competitive and still make good business.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:

Soooo... it sells more on a weekly basis, yet less monthly? How does... that even make sence? @_____@

Look at it this way.

Week 1:

Console A - 60,000
Console B - 55,000

Week 2: 

Console A - 60,000
Console B - 55,000

Week 3:

Console A - 60,000
Console B - 55,000

Week 4:

Console A - 55,000
Console B - 75,000

Month:

Console A - 235,000
Console B - 240,000

Console A "won" 3 out of 4 Weeks, despite losing overall for the Month. Obviously the numbers/ situation is different... But this is how something like that can make sense. Re-read what Vitro is saying. The Xbox One has won several Weeks, despite not "winning" overall. Its been a regular occurence since launch. Nobody is (or should be) surprised to see the Xbox One winning the odd Week in America.

Zekkyou said:
VitroBahllee said:

I said weekly basis. NPD is by month. I will not continue explaining this distinction. A number of apparent defenders of Sony seem to be very adamant not to recognize this clear fact. I am offended by the curt and disputatious nature of these spurious arguments.

It's quite irrelevant and without any hard numbers pretty unneccesary to even talk about, but he means that if you sell more 3 out of 4 weeks by a small amount and then get outsold in the other week by a much larger amount, you technichally have won more weeks but still lost the month. Obviously still lost if you take the average.

VitroBahllee said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Sony's Music and Movie Divisions say hello.

I get that they have those divisions - I'm just saying MS is trying to gain ground into those areas with subscription based and purchased-based services you can use over the console. I'm not familiar with Sony's music division as it pertains to the PS4 (my favorite band is signed to their label, however) - does PS4 have a subscription-based service for you to stream unlimited music on the  PS4? 

Anyway, you are demonstrating what I think is ruining this generation: you are trying to 'prove' the Sony is 'winning' the fight by mentioning these aspects of the company that aren't quite what I was talking about as though they 'beat' MS. Why can't these sorts of discussions be rational?

I'm not trying to prove anything. Don't imply that you're generalizations apply to me. I'm just stating that the playing field is even and that proponents of either side tend to overlook the benefits of both or either.

For instance, I didn;t know bing rewards was a thing, while I'll keep my opinions about bing to myself (until asked), I think its pretty cool that MS encourages people to use their search engine using a reward system.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

To win a generation you must have a marketshare at least 50% , my opinion.

Another way to "win" a generation is when you have huge improvement on your sales by comparison.

With that logic last generation winners were microsoft and nintendo that sold four times what they sold in gamecube/xbox area.

Is the XBO doing terribly? No. Is it performing to Microsoft's expectations? Probably not. This is the internet, people like to overexaggerate things. Some people overexaggerate the XBO's sales situation, others overexaggerate the PS4's games situation. Not much we can do about it given that this is the internet. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!