By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One isn't Number One, but that does not equal 'Doing Terribly.'

Barozi said:

at this point you need to give me proof that PS4 with PS+ members or WiiU actually made more profit than X1 with its Xbox Live users and I doubt there's anything on the net about that.

The rest is as relevant as saying that Microsoft is the number 1 OS developer.
The last paragraph confirms that you agree with me. Wanting to be the best doesn't mean that you can't be happy if you "only" stay competitive and still make good business.

Yes, and that was my point all along, however what i disagree with you is that 50 million for microsoft, isnt really good business. while it certainly isnt unacceptable, it wouldnt be anything Microsoft would by happy about, specially considering we are just 5 months in the gen.

if XB1 sells 50 million it means it is down around 40% from the 360's total sales when it all said and done. while it certainly can still be profitable and make money for them at that number, i doubt Microsoft would be that satisified with it and they would aim to do much more next time around. 

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

They have been going at it for over 10 Years now and are yet to win. They have a 2nd place finish and are about to get a 3rd place finish.

They aint crashed, they aint burned and theyre still competing in markets where they are a force. Xbox One selling anywhere over 50 Million Worldwide would be a great success in itself, despite what the 360 managed to do. As long as they at least remain competitive in America and the UK in the long run, then the Xbox One will be seen as a success. They have the software to do it and they have the brand strength to do it. 

Wanting to win doesnt mean that they have to win for it to be classed as a success. The PSP was a success, despite selling over 70 Million units less than the Nintendo DS. The Xbox 360 is a gigantic success, despite not matching the Wii.

Furthermore, any increase in marketshare will be seen as a success also. With Nintendo failing with the Wii U it leaves plenty of room and potential for the Xbox One to blow past the 360's ~30% marketshare total.

Xbox One has had the best launch in Xbox history. Plenty of key software still to hit with plenty of room for pricecuts, hardware changes and new experiences to be brought to the table. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

@bolded: that doesnt mean that they cant win, or gave up on doing so.

Also, you are misunderstanding my point. i didnt say XB1 crashed or burned, i didnt say they cant win. or i didnt say the 360 was not a success. i am saying that its in microsofts nature to want to be number one, to want to be the market leader and to out do the competition. my post wasnt about Xbox success or failure. it was about microsofts competitive edge and their ambitions to always be the market leader. 

sales2099 said:
thismeintiel said:
No one can deny that Xbox One had a really good launch. Unfortunately for MS, the forward is dropping much like the Wii U, though not quite as quickly. MS keeps boasting about the One being over 360 sales, but in the coming months they are going to have to stop, as the 360 is starting to catch up quickly. Just last quarter it chipped away 550k from the One's lead. Next quarter it may chip away 1M, as it shipped 1.8M for the same time period, something the One has no prayer of doing.

360 truly didn't pick up until 2008 though MS has about a couple years of saying that point.

The 360 didn't really pick up til '08, yet it is already outlegging the One.  Kinda telling about the future of the One, isn't it?  Like I said the 360 is going to chip away ~1.5m from that small lead in the matter of 2 quarters (6 months.)  The One just had a much better first full month on the market compared to 360, but going forward, things aren't looking too good.  So, I give MS till late '14 to early '15 for them to stop the "One has outsold 360 by X amount."  That is, unless they do something drastic.

Oh, and sorry about the late reply.