By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One isn't Number One, but that does not equal 'Doing Terribly.'

cpg716 said:
The Xbox 360 had 6 million consoles sold before the PS3 and Wii even sold a SINGLE console.. how did that go for them? They ended up in 3rd place. Sorry.. the first few years mean nothing. While I still think the PS4 will WIN this generation... I don't think we can REALLY make any assumptions less then 6 months in.

While this is indeed true. The PS3 only closed that gap because of brand recognition and because Sony/Playstation is bigger than MS pretty much everywhere outside of US/UK. So while I agree that it is too early to tell you can't compare the 360/PS3 situation to the PS4/XB1 situation.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
Hankoney said:
Jereel Hunter said:
Hankoney said:
Of course it's not a failure to be number two, or even number three, but it sure seems like failure to have excess stock 5 months after launch, to need to give away for free a game you heavily invested in, to practically be DOA in half the countries you launched in, with barely a chance to even make a dent in all others you still haven't launched in. XOne's failure has just begun, but reality will set in when their only two exclusive old tiring franchises also fail to shift consoles barring a massive pricecut/free game combo.
Microsoft will be lucky if it manages to reach original XBox's sales, making this their last console ever.

Xbox one is starting this generation way, way WAY ahead of where PS3 began last generation. Whereas PS3 needed an early price drop just to compete, the X1 is selling solid, though unimpressive numbers. 

I'm not sure why I even responded, this is pretty obvious trolling.

I was not trolling, just stating my opinion. And nowhere have I even mentioned Playstation, I have no idea why you would bring it into this and try to stir trouble. 

XOne is a console of interest here, not some ozlther console from another manufacturer from a decade ago.

XBox is doing awfully, they have invested a billion into games, a hundred million into a controller, who knows how many hundreds of millions into Kinect, and I still haven't gotten to the console itself. And all they have to show for is giving away free games, slashing prices left and right, and hundreds of thousands of unsold stock gathering humidity in various warehouses.

Sure MS will sugarcoat any public relations message, but the fact is that they must be very dissatisfied with the consoles performance, losing marketshare in only two territories they ever had a competing chance, and being pushed into irrelevance in all other markets. That's why I think what I've written.

I wasn't stirring trouble. I was referring to the PS3 because it started last generation in the role the X1has now taken. (most expensive, less sales, talk of doooom) In this case though, the X1 is selling way better than the PS3 did int he same time frame, as a frame of reference, to show that it's not an indication of crashing and burning. (Not to mention MS is better financially prepared to change course, if necessary)

Xbox one is not doign badly as ALL. It's merely doing beneath expectations. To say Xbox is doing awfully is to say that every console ever released, with the exception of the Wii and a couple others has done "awfully" to begin with. The PS3, from a worse position, did some early price cuts and rebounded admirably. There's no reason the X1 can't do the same. 

As far as being 'lucky to reach the original Xbox's numbers', that's the trolling I'm referring to. All indications are that it will have outsold the original Xbox by the end of 2015, and if last generation showed us anything, it's that even with the Xbox not selling through in other regions, NA alone can carry it well past the original Xbox's numbers. The X1 is an investment for Microsoft, and even if it isn't very profitable it can benefit the brand in general. There is no chance, short of earth shattering events, that the X1 ends with less than 30m units sold... and even that would be well beneath every reasonable projection.

BeElite said:
cpg716 said:
The Xbox 360 had 6 million consoles sold before the PS3 and Wii even sold a SINGLE console.. how did that go for them? They ended up in 3rd place. Sorry.. the first few years mean nothing. While I still think the PS4 will WIN this generation... I don't think we can REALLY make any assumptions less then 6 months in.

Means everything, 360 did what it did partly to its early launch advantage.  Align launches and PS3 beats it, that early lead kept 360s ass ahead for 90% of the gen. 

There is no early launch to expalin and excuse X1 selling half of PS4.

Wow.. This just made NO sense..        The Xbox One is OUTSELLING the X360..  As of March 31st.. it was over a MILLION more sold during the same period. It makes sense to SELL LESS consoles when you have compeition. NOT MORE(Which the X1 has done)..  It is also MORE expensive then the X360.. and available in LESS Markets..

So to recap.  The Xbox One has sold more consoles with actually having to compete agaisnt 5 CONSOLES (X360 competed only with LAST gen of PS2/Gamecube not Wii or PS3).. being in LESS markets, and costing MORE money...

What again do they have to explain? 

XBLive: cpg716     PSN ID: cpg716  Steam: Luv4Tech77

Predictions on 12/01/15 - Generation 8 Totals:

PS4: 85-95m
X1: 55-65m
WiiU: 20-30m

cpg716 said:
BeElite said:
cpg716 said:

Means everything, 360 did what it did partly to its early launch advantage.  Align launches and PS3 beats it, that early lead kept 360s ass ahead for 90% of the gen. 

There is no early launch to expalin and excuse X1 selling half of PS4.

Wow.. This just made NO sense..        The Xbox One is OUTSELLING the X360..  As of March 31st.. it was over a MILLION more sold during the same period. It makes sense to SELL LESS consoles when you have compeition. NOT MORE(Which the X1 has done)..  It is also MORE expensive then the X360.. and available in LESS Markets..

So to recap.  The Xbox One has sold more consoles with actually have to compete agaisnt 2 CONSOLES (X360 competed only with LAST gen.. not Wii or PS3).. being in LESS markets, and costing MORE money...

What again do they have to explain? 

I dont care what X1 sales to 360, no one does.   What matter is how its selling compared to its competition, aka the PS4 duhhh.  Its getting crushed by it. 

X1 is not competing with 360 mmmkay.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

the xbox one, in truth, is one of the fastest selling consoles to have ever launched, and it is destroying XBOX 360 LTD numbers at the same time period..

people just like to match and have two companies go against each other, the ps4 is the fastest selling console in history, that's great, but the xbox one behind the wii ps2 and ps4, would be considered the fastest above the others

mM
BeElite said:
Just look at 2014 sales, its doing bad.
Outselling the wiiu is no accomplishment or a definition of doing good.
Doing less then half of your direct competitor is bad.

selling more than the 360 at the same tame frime should be considered selling well

mM
leo-j said:

selling more than the 360 at the same tame frime should be considered selling well

No, not when you are selling 46% of what your competition is ytd.

if camry sold 46% of accord does Toyota would harakiri its design team, it be a massive failure by any stretch of the imagination. 

Funny fact, after their holiday debut their first Jan to April both 360 and X1 sold 1.3 million. 

Its doing quite well overall, good sales in NA but poor in Europe.

kowenicki said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Not to mention the lingering Sony bankruptcy hopefuls are remnants of that glorious age of the Sony hate bandwagon.

The fact that MS has basically been forgiven for E3 is an unusual but not unexpected amount of mercy.

E3?  MS had a great E3.

Discussion and reporting of Sony's financial rank bad management isnt about hate... its about facts.

And the fact that you still can get Day One Edtions and Titanfall bundles are sitting on the shelves is all about good management?