By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One isn't Number One, but that does not equal 'Doing Terribly.'

VitroBahllee said:
Nem said:
Might not be doing terrible in the US, but it certainly is outside of it.

Selling twice as much as Wii U in Europe. It isn't number one but it isn't as awful as people like to pretend.

Wii U is doing even worse.  PS4 is outselling the X1 3x +  a week in average. In europe it is doing terrible. It will end up like PS2 vs Xbox gen.

Around the Network

Yeah, I don't get it either. And those screaming about PS4 selling 18-20 million by the end of 2014 CY seem to have missed that it is actually selling more or less exactly how I said it would; following the trend of the PS3's second full year on the market. For Q1 this year, the PS4 has a 200k lead on the PS3's Q1 in 2008, with about 2.6 million versus 2.4 million and the PS4's Q1 contained a Japan launch at that. The Wii sold about 2.9 million in its first Q1. The point is; the climb to the top is not as far as some may think, I hardly think the One will catch the PS4, not ever, but it won't end up miles and miles behind either when all is said and done because the pace simply isn't as fantastic as some make it out to be at present.

The One is doing fine, well even, and with a lower price and (hopefully) Kinect being removed as a mandatory pack-in, as well as more good software, it won't be doing that much worse than the market leader (I have stated that it will move about 70% of the PS4's numbers this year, could be wrong but it's too early to tell yet).

Carl2291 said:

They have been going at it for over 10 Years now and are yet to win. They have a 2nd place finish and are about to get a 3rd place finish.

They aint crashed, they aint burned and theyre still competing in markets where they are a force. Xbox One selling anywhere over 50 Million Worldwide would be a great success in itself, despite what the 360 managed to do. As long as they at least remain competitive in America and the UK in the long run, then the Xbox One will be seen as a success. They have the software to do it and they have the brand strength to do it. 

Wanting to win doesnt mean that they have to win for it to be classed as a success. The PSP was a success, despite selling over 70 Million units less than the Nintendo DS. The Xbox 360 is a gigantic success, despite not matching the Wii.

Furthermore, any increase in marketshare will be seen as a success also. With Nintendo failing with the Wii U it leaves plenty of room and potential for the Xbox One to blow past the 360's ~30% marketshare total.

Xbox One has had the best launch in Xbox history. Plenty of key software still to hit with plenty of room for pricecuts, hardware changes and new experiences to be brought to the table. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

You seriously believe that the Xbox One isn't going to pass Wii U?

Of course it's not a failure to be number two, or even number three, but it sure seems like failure to have excess stock 5 months after launch, to need to give away for free a game you heavily invested in, to practically be DOA in half the countries you launched in, with barely a chance to even make a dent in all others you still haven't launched in. XOne's failure has just begun, but reality will set in when their only two exclusive old tiring franchises also fail to shift consoles barring a massive pricecut/free game combo.
Microsoft will be lucky if it manages to reach original XBox's sales, making this their last console ever.

VitroBahllee said:

Oh, no. The Xbox One will easily outsell the Wii U.

What I was saying was that Xbox finished 2nd. Xbox 360 is going to finish 3rd. Xbox One is probably gonna sit in a comfortable 2nd place.

Edit -

Guys.

Guys. We are on VGChartz. If the OP wants to use VGC numbers then the OP can use VGC numbers. Get off his balls. Any user on VGChartz can use VGChartz numbers in a sales discussion.

Around the Network
VitroBahllee said:

I'm amazed by what I see repeatedly online, and especially in the forums here: an assumption that the Xbox One, by virtue of not being number one, is doing terribly. 

PS4 is doing great! I'm very happy to see it doing so well. It's an awesome, affordable, and powerful console with a lot of great experiences. It's selling great.

For the week of April 12th, the PS4 sold 127k. The Xbox One sold 92k. About a third less than the PS4. The Wii U sold 32k. That's less than one third OF the Xbox One's sales.

I will agree that PS4 is winning the generation. It doesn't always win the NA region (the Xbox One frequently sells more than PS4 in the NA region on a weekly basis), but it wins globally. It's doing great. The Xbox One, for its part, is outselling its predecessor, the Xbox 360, at the same point in time. It's selling well. Its software is consistently in the global top ten, despite the console only doing really great in a few regions. 

I'm just surprised at how many people act like not being number one is bad, or say that the Xbox One is doing just as poorly as the Wii U. It's just not number one. I don't understand how it became the most hated console of a generation for little to no reason. I love mine.

Question isn't being in last place considered poor?

I agree, just because the XB1 is not selling as good as the Ps4 deosn't mean it's doing poorly, however Vitrobahille you reasoing is a little off with Bananaking, I mean if every now and then the XB1 outsells the PS4 on a weekly basis but the PS4 wins the month overall it quite a moot point no?

Carl2291 said:
VitroBahllee said:

Oh, no. The Xbox One will easily outsell the Wii U.

What I was saying was that Xbox finished 2nd. Xbox 360 is going to finish 3rd. Xbox One is probably gonna sit in a comfortable 2nd place.

Ahh, that makes sense. And it's weird: 360 might be finishing third, but it seemed much more successful at the time. 

Barozi said:
bananaking21 said:
Barozi said:
Pretty much. X1 doesn't have to dominate to be a success. I'm sure Microsoft would be happy if they sell 50m consoles this generation.

no they wouldnt, this is microsoft we are takling about, microsoft. say what you want about them but they are comptitive and they want to "win". they even said it them selfs. These mega cooperation certainly dont get pleased with "settling". They are in it to win, they always been and always will be. if they lose that competitive edge they will crash and burn. 

This also applies for Sony and Nintendo. 

Samsung sells more phones than Apple. I bet Apple is crying right now that they only have the iPhone in that market.

"want" is the key word. Everyone wants to be the best, that obviously can't happen everywhere and before launch you wouldn't say that you would be happy with any result other than being number 1.

They still profit the most, they still sell the most high end smartphones (if i remember correctly), they are still the number 1 tablet maker.  and despite all this, they are at "war" with samsung. using apple actually just proves my point even further. Apple are duking it out with samsung in persuet to have the most market share.

Come on, apple was founded by steve jobs, the guy who wanted to crush IBM, then cursh Microsoft then crush Google. They certainly dont "cry" if their not number one, but they sure as hell want to be. same things goes for microsoft and any other big cooperation. they all have this competitive edge. 

When the ps3 was doing sub 100k at this point of it's lifetime it was doom so is the X1 it's the circle of life, also don't forget the X1 had plenty sub 70k and 80k weeks

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.