By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD March 2014 Thread - PS4 #1 (371k), Xbox One 311k, 360 111k, WiiU ~70k, Vita close to 4 digits. Titanfall tops software

Did the NPD results surprise you?

Yes 379 53.23%

No 308 43.26%

Total:687

sad for the vita ...

at least I did my part and bought one. and I was looking forward to import some new us games in the near future.
but wont see many new games coming with only 10k in a 5week month ...
but eu will even have less new games in the pipe :(

Around the Network
Barenziah said:
DélioPT said:

I think that right from the start it was obvious that PS4 was going to put one heck of a fight in the US. And given the hype before it was only natural for it to start above the XB1.
People are also very quick to forget what history has taught us. In 2007/8 people already claimed PS3 to be dead last and Wii to overcome everyone with ease. Look how things turned out.

We are 6 months into this cycle and people are already calling XB1 doomed. Even in the States, it`s too early to see how things will pan out.
With XB1 doing so well at 500$, it`s got a great future ahead of it.
And let`s not forget, MS is in a better condition to decrease the price gap and keep it competitive.

that's right xbox isn't doomed at all as we are continually informed microsoft will use their billions to suck up the losses of gen 8 no matter what and sony are going under with their unmanageable debt,it is just a matter of time and really between the Wiiu & One

I am super late but I jut have to ask. Are you being serious with this line? DO you really beleive Sony will go under with debt and that the PS4 will jsut disappear? THen it will only be between the Wii U and the XB1? I am seriously asking because I can't imagine someone truly believing that.

On Topic:

I DID NOT see this coming at all! The XB1 numbers are good but less than what I was expecting for the month of March! And the PS4 taking March NPD is the most surprising thing!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Much wow, such crow

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

thismeintiel said:

Those links that Dark_Feanor got me curious, so I actually looked up last year's 360 numbers compared to One's numbers. Things are much worse for the One than I thought. From January to April 6th of 2013, the 360 sold ~1.8M. From January to April 5th of this year, the One sold ~1.1M. That's ~700K in the 360's favor and it only went on to sell ~5.8M for the whole year. MS better do something and they better do it fast. Especially considering it looks like Sony is going to sell at least 10-12M PS4's this year.

Yeah 6~7 Million for the calendar year is plausible, although last year X360 declined more in the 2nd half due to the next-gen launches.  X1 can still have a better holiay this year.

My 8th gen collection

ryuzaki57 said:
Pathetic Titanfall boost. Doom it is then...

btw PS4 or X1 > Nintendo family

btw way 3DS outsells vita almost 16:1  :p

Around the Network

Nintendo's performance is utterly pathetic.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Sony must really do something for Vita in USA.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

DélioPT said:
Shinobi-san said:
DélioPT said:

The first MS fans had to endure the success of PS2, so it`s nothing new to them.
I´m not sure if MS can or cannot justify the price tag. From a manufacturing point of view, the price might be just about right. From a commercial point of view the only reason i`d say no, is because the basic premise of Kinect was already sold on XB360. From the angle, the new Kinect isn`t enough reason ot buy a 500$ console.
It`s a tough call. Personally, i never believed the new Kinect would make the same impact.

The thing is XB360 wasn`t doing that well in Europe as XB1 is doing, now, in the US. They are on par, but up there in sales numbers, not down there.
That`s why i don`t understand the doom comments. I understand that MS might be worried that it will be a tougher fight they originally thought, but there`s no reason to panic. Selling 311K is more than healthy for the Xbox business in the US.

In my opinion the new Kinect could have done wonders. But there's no software for it.

This is the biggest issue i have with MS's X1 launch. They are investing a lot in Kinect yet they didnt have any software for it? And apart from one or two games now they still dont have the software to sell the device.

I don`t think MS`s concern is to use Kinect alongside SW, but to use Kinect to provide a different experience when using XB1.

They had the time to develop SW with the first Kinect but they didn`t try to hard, i think.

I always saw the new Kinect as the Move was to Wii. It`s a better product, a better experience, but the premise was already sold with the "inferior" product. Gamers didn`t jump to Move because it wasn`t new. As the new Kinect isn`t new anymore. It`s a better experience, but just that.

Well if they planned not to have software for the kinect then thats even worse.

You cant sell a game console on a non gaming experience. Well you can but it hasnt been done successfully yet. MS needed to show off the capabilities of the new kinect with gaming software. They had absolutely nothing.

Also the way MS has marketed Kinect and spoken about it, as a gaming experience, doesnt fit your theory.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Sony must really do something for Vita in USA.

I know! Another damn price cut! I personally think that a GTA game ( among other things) could really help the Vita. I mean it worked pretty well for the PSP!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Hey guys just woke up. Lots of questions so I'll touch on them all here.

1. February wasn't an adjustment month, the One did worse in March then February. Tax returns did very well for the console in Feb and outside of Titanfall week sales for the One were sloooow in March.

2. April is looking to be rough. I honestly won't be surprised soon if we see the One hit around 100k months soon. If MS dont make some drastic moves this summer will be brutal.

3. Watch Dogs is going to be pretty huge on next gen. Most of the mass market consumers know nothing about the "drama" or "downgrade". That being said the delay has hurt the hype and if the game reviews low that could certainly hurt it. As long as it reviews even decently though should have an excellent launch / attach rate.

4. Sony saying the system is heavily supply constrained currently isn't true. It was in March but April has been pretty good all things considered. Not overflowing mind you but the best Ive seen since launch.

5. Destiny.......you guys have no idea how fucking huge this game is going to be.