By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD March 2014 Thread - PS4 #1 (371k), Xbox One 311k, 360 111k, WiiU ~70k, Vita close to 4 digits. Titanfall tops software

Did the NPD results surprise you?

Yes 379 53.23%

No 308 43.26%

Total:687
Shinobi-san said:
DélioPT said:
Shinobi-san said:
DélioPT said:

The first MS fans had to endure the success of PS2, so it`s nothing new to them.
I´m not sure if MS can or cannot justify the price tag. From a manufacturing point of view, the price might be just about right. From a commercial point of view the only reason i`d say no, is because the basic premise of Kinect was already sold on XB360. From the angle, the new Kinect isn`t enough reason ot buy a 500$ console.
It`s a tough call. Personally, i never believed the new Kinect would make the same impact.

The thing is XB360 wasn`t doing that well in Europe as XB1 is doing, now, in the US. They are on par, but up there in sales numbers, not down there.
That`s why i don`t understand the doom comments. I understand that MS might be worried that it will be a tougher fight they originally thought, but there`s no reason to panic. Selling 311K is more than healthy for the Xbox business in the US.

In my opinion the new Kinect could have done wonders. But there's no software for it.

This is the biggest issue i have with MS's X1 launch. They are investing a lot in Kinect yet they didnt have any software for it? And apart from one or two games now they still dont have the software to sell the device.

I don`t think MS`s concern is to use Kinect alongside SW, but to use Kinect to provide a different experience when using XB1.

They had the time to develop SW with the first Kinect but they didn`t try to hard, i think.

I always saw the new Kinect as the Move was to Wii. It`s a better product, a better experience, but the premise was already sold with the "inferior" product. Gamers didn`t jump to Move because it wasn`t new. As the new Kinect isn`t new anymore. It`s a better experience, but just that.

Well if they planned not to have software for the kinect then thats even worse.

You cant sell a game console on a non gaming experience. Well you can but it hasnt been done successfully yet. MS needed to show off the capabilities of the new kinect with gaming software. They had absolutely nothing.

Also the way MS has marketed Kinect and spoken about it, as a gaming experience, doesnt fit your theory.

But ironically thats EXACTLY what they tried to do. Their E3 presentation made that clear, DRM thing didnt help either. As for marketing delio's theory. IMHO its all lip service from MS they are saying what people want to hear. But their actions back up what Delio was saying.

Around the Network

Infamous second son sales are slightly disappointing given the strong PS4 sales. I wonder what PS4 exclusive will manage a million in its first month that's releasing this year.

Edit: I meant USA only

dsage01 said:
Infamous second son sales are slightly disappointing given the strong PS4 sales. I wonder what PS4 exclusive will manage a million in its first month that's releasing this year.

It sold a million units in 9 days. Didn't you know this already?

Ucell said:
dsage01 said:

I meant in the USA. 

dsage01 said:
Ucell said:
dsage01 said:

I meant in the USA. 

I don't see that happening until The Order: 1886 or Uncharted 4 then.

Around the Network
lucidium said:
askel50 said:
If they cut the price $100 they will outsell PS4 very comfortably. If they do a kinect-less SKU at $350 they will outsell it permanently. It's easy to see that the main factor hodling back people is the price. The 360 just sold 111K.

You mean like how the 360 being cheaper than the ps3?

Worked wonders for them that time, they only ended up last.

not only that but itassumes ps4 wont counter any price adjustments. Sony will want to sell as many ps4s as highof a price they can... but so will MS. that 350 price is just boarderline crazy wishful thinking. Even then, shortly after Sony could easily drop the ps4 to match. If someone thinks ms can cut 150 but sony cant drop 50.... 

AZWification said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Sony must really do something for Vita in USA.

I know! Another damn price cut! I personally think that a GTA game ( among other things) could really help the Vita. I mean it worked pretty well for the PSP!

Agree, but IMVHO the best Sony could hope for is that once it hits some still unknown sales milestone, Capcom announce the first true, new and full-fledged Monster Hunter for it. Not just an old port or a spin-off. Otherwise, Sony should develop its own first or second party new IP that exploit the same addictive psychological mechanisms Monster Hunter and Pokémon do.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

bigjon said:
Look I am a PS4/WiiU guy, but Sony fanboys in 2007-08 sounded a lot like XB1 fanboy do now. Back then it was Folklore will save it(seriously people said this), Lair will be a killer app(Would prove Six axis better than WiiMote), PS Home will sell millions, Haze will kill Halo (CoD was still only on 4), LBP Planet will take all the casuals from the Wii.... and on and on. PS3 finished strong, but it would have been dead if not for it being for BluRay, best specs, and great 1st party support, but Sony fans now all admit 07-08 were dark days, they only had Uncharted 1 to sooth their souls.

nobody said that about folklore and haze. the halo killer comment came from the original kz on ps2 and xb fanboys mocked ps fanboys concerning haze with it

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Agree, but IMVHO the best Sony could hope for is that once it hits some still unknown sales milestone, Capcom announce the first true, new and full-fledged Monster Hunter for it. Not just an old port or a spin-off. Otherwise, Sony should develop its own first or second party new IP that exploit the same addictive psychological mechanisms Monster Hunter and Pokémon do.

It's a pity a Monster Hunter game would do little to nothing for Vita in the West. But now that it's scratching at becoming the weekly best selling system in Japan with much more potential for growth than the 3DS, the likelihood of a Monster Hunter on the system is as good as it's ever going to be.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

It's a pity a Monster Hunter game would do little to nothing for Vita in the West. But now that it's scratching at becoming the weekly best selling system in Japan with much more potential for growth than the 3DS, the likelihood of a Monster Hunter on the system is as good as it's ever going to be.

Given current US sales, even getting a larger share of the Japanese style games fans minority would be a significant boost!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!