By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD March 2014 Thread - PS4 #1 (371k), Xbox One 311k, 360 111k, WiiU ~70k, Vita close to 4 digits. Titanfall tops software

Did the NPD results surprise you?

Yes 379 53.23%

No 308 43.26%

Total:687
oniyide said:

THats probably a fair and accurate assestment. Heres the problem with that. DO people eve CARE about those types of games anymore? Dont think even this Kinect will be able to play core games that much better, and the Just Dance sports crowd that did like Kinect I think the numbers have diminished. And even then they arent paying 450+ to play slightly better versions of games they've already played. People forget how cheap the WIii was in comparison.

I think we're on the same wave length. I'm not saying it's a great plan, but it's definitely the thinking behind bundling the Kinect with the system.

With the pricing front, I also think that's the thing holding the Wii U back right now. Like you say, the Wii was much cheaper, the type of audience drawn to the "motion" controlled games, aren't comfortable with the entry point of both the Wii U and the XB1. It may be that a lot of them have moved onto smartphones and tablets, but I also think a lot are waiting for much lower cost of entry with the hardware.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
ICStats said:
thismeintiel said:

Those links that Dark_Feanor got me curious, so I actually looked up last year's 360 numbers compared to One's numbers. Things are much worse for the One than I thought. From January to April 6th of 2013, the 360 sold ~1.8M. From January to April 5th of this year, the One sold ~1.1M. That's ~700K in the 360's favor and it only went on to sell ~5.8M for the whole year. MS better do something and they better do it fast. Especially considering it looks like Sony is going to sell at least 10-12M PS4's this year.

Yeah 6~7 Million for the calendar year is plausible, although last year X360 declined more in the 2nd half due to the next-gen launches.  X1 can still have a better holiay this year.

Yea, I'm guessing ~7M, myself.  I think the One is going to continue to fall behind the 360 for the following months.  But, there is no denying that the One will see a larger holiday boost this holiday season compared to the 2013's 360.  Of course, the boost is most likely just going help it overcome, and go slightly beyond, the deficit it has been racking up for the first half of the year.

MikeRox said:
oniyide said:

THats probably a fair and accurate assestment. Heres the problem with that. DO people eve CARE about those types of games anymore? Dont think even this Kinect will be able to play core games that much better, and the Just Dance sports crowd that did like Kinect I think the numbers have diminished. And even then they arent paying 450+ to play slightly better versions of games they've already played. People forget how cheap the WIii was in comparison.

I think we're on the same wave length. I'm not saying it's a great plan, but it's definitely the thinking behind bundling the Kinect with the system.

With the pricing front, I also think that's the thing holding the Wii U back right now. Like you say, the Wii was much cheaper, the type of audience drawn to the "motion" controlled games, aren't comfortable with the entry point of both the Wii U and the XB1. It may be that a lot of them have moved onto smartphones and tablets, but I also think a lot are waiting for much lower cost of entry with the hardware.

I still watch the E3 and laugh sometimes, i cant fathom what was going on in their heads, at least they quickly turned alot of stuff around

For Xbox? yes again another WTH decision, they should have learned that you cant sell a system for 500 and expect it to fly off shelves that is no way a casual entry point. Wii U? I dont know about that one. Ill have to disagree, i truly believe its just a system only Ninty fans want. GC was also pretty cheap. It fascinates me that Ninty can not sell a system above a certain price but the other two can. I dont know what that says about Ninty...well i do but people wont like it.

BenVTrigger said:

4. Sony saying the system is heavily supply constrained currently isn't true. It was in March but April has been pretty good all things considered. Not overflowing mind you but the best Ive seen since launch.

To be fair, they only said, "Today’s NPD report confirmed that PlayStation 4 was No. 1 in sales for March and extended its cumulative lead for next generation game consoles, despite continued supply constraints."  I think they were mainly speaking of early to mid March, before the large shipments came in for Infamous week.

thismeintiel said:

BenVTrigger said:

4. Sony saying the system is heavily supply constrained currently isn't true. It was in March but April has been pretty good all things considered. Not overflowing mind you but the best Ive seen since launch.

To be fair, they only said, "Today’s NPD report confirmed that PlayStation 4 was No. 1 in sales for March and extended its cumulative lead for next generation game consoles, despite continued supply constraints."  I think they were mainly speaking of early to mid March, before the large shipments came in for Infamous week.

Oh that makes sense then, they were definitley supply constrained in March 

Around the Network

Ouch dem vita numbers.. -65% of vgc estimations.

maximus22 said:
Turkish said:
bigjon said:
Look I am a PS4/WiiU guy, but Sony fanboys in 2007-08 sounded a lot like XB1 fanboy do now. Back then it was Folklore will save it(seriously people said this), Lair will be a killer app(Would prove Six axis better than WiiMote), PS Home will sell millions, Haze will kill Halo (CoD was still only on 4), LBP Planet will take all the casuals from the Wii.... and on and on. PS3 finished strong, but it would have been dead if not for it being for BluRay, best specs, and great 1st party support, but Sony fans now all admit 07-08 were dark days, they only had Uncharted 1 to sooth their souls.

This is revisionist history. Haze was never seen as a Halo killer. PS Home, announced a free service from day 1 would sell millions...?  Lol at "Sony fans only had UC1 in 07-08", disregarding all the good games that came out in that period just becuz they didnt sell 10m copies on day 1, truly some old fashioned thinking from that period. LBP sold over 5m (and only a few exclusives like the Halos, and Gears of Wars could do on the 360), and MGS4, which had a bigger impact on the 599 PS3 than Titanfall last month(on 5 weeks basis the weekly avg is actually down). Also PS3 got Warhawk, Motorstorm Pacifc Rift, Resistance, Valkyria Chronicles and many more during those "dark" days. For being the worst years of the PS3, it got great games.

Agreed that was a great time for PS3.  Except MGS4 launched when the PS3 was at $499 not $599.  I know because I bought mine as soon as that bundle released.

No its not revisionist history. At that point fanboys were saying all of those game were killer aps. Fact is, it was a slow roll back then and the fanboys were hyping anything you could think of. Sort like what MS fanboys do now with the XB1. 7 years from now you are going to accuse me of revisionist history when I claim MS fanboys said TF would save it and all that aren't you?

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:

No its not revisionist history. At that point fanboys were saying all of those game were killer aps. Fact is, it was a slow roll back then and the fanboys were hyping anything you could think of. Sort like what MS fanboys do now with the XB1. 7 years from now you are going to accuse me of revisionist history when I claim MS fanboys said TF would save it and all that aren't you?

It is revisionist history because NO ONE said that about Folklore. That was a hugely niche title that almost no one knew about by a mediocre developer. As for Haze, no. Nobody called it the Halo killer except xb fanboys making fun of ps fanboys because a dumb gaming journalist called KZ on PS2 a halo killer.

Since I know you are 100% incorrect on those two points I wouldn't be surprised if you were 100% wrong with the entire post

lol at Wii U outselling PS3.

and I really feel bad for Vita.

Click HERE and be happy 

CGI-Quality said:
EricFabian said:
lol at Wii U outselling PS3.

I'd actually find it more "lol" worthy if it was the other way around. Next gen machines should be outselling consoles from the previous era.

is Wii U >Wii U< Every victory is a victory, after all

Click HERE and be happy