By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD March 2014 Thread - PS4 #1 (371k), Xbox One 311k, 360 111k, WiiU ~70k, Vita close to 4 digits. Titanfall tops software

Did the NPD results surprise you?

Yes 379 53.23%

No 308 43.26%

Total:687
EricFabian said:
lol at Wii U outselling PS3.

lol at Wii U being close to PS3

Around the Network
TheBlackNaruto said:
Barenziah said:
DélioPT said:

I think that right from the start it was obvious that PS4 was going to put one heck of a fight in the US. And given the hype before it was only natural for it to start above the XB1.
People are also very quick to forget what history has taught us. In 2007/8 people already claimed PS3 to be dead last and Wii to overcome everyone with ease. Look how things turned out.

We are 6 months into this cycle and people are already calling XB1 doomed. Even in the States, it`s too early to see how things will pan out.
With XB1 doing so well at 500$, it`s got a great future ahead of it.
And let`s not forget, MS is in a better condition to decrease the price gap and keep it competitive.

that's right xbox isn't doomed at all as we are continually informed microsoft will use their billions to suck up the losses of gen 8 no matter what and sony are going under with their unmanageable debt,it is just a matter of time and really between the Wiiu & One

I am super late but I jut have to ask. Are you being serious with this line? DO you really beleive Sony will go under with debt and that the PS4 will jsut disappear? THen it will only be between the Wii U and the XB1? I am seriously asking because I can't imagine someone truly believing that.

On Topic:

I DID NOT see this coming at all! The XB1 numbers are good but less than what I was expecting for the month of March! And the PS4 taking March NPD is the most surprising thing!

of course, as it is pointed out by certain posters on a weekly basis at least,don't you visit sony threads

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt

Max King of the Wild said:
bigjon said:

No its not revisionist history. At that point fanboys were saying all of those game were killer aps. Fact is, it was a slow roll back then and the fanboys were hyping anything you could think of. Sort like what MS fanboys do now with the XB1. 7 years from now you are going to accuse me of revisionist history when I claim MS fanboys said TF would save it and all that aren't you?

It is revisionist history because NO ONE said that about Folklore. That was a hugely niche title that almost no one knew about by a mediocre developer. As for Haze, no. Nobody called it the Halo killer except xb fanboys making fun of ps fanboys because a dumb gaming journalist called KZ on PS2 a halo killer.

Since I know you are 100% incorrect on those two points I wouldn't be surprised if you were 100% wrong with the entire post

I remember several people on this site hyping Folklore (yes it was not many but some). People may not have said Haze would kill Halo, but they looked at it as Sony's answer to Halo and hyped it alot as a potential system seller. 06-08 were not good years for the PS3 no matter how you spin it, yes there were a few good games but they were few and far between, by the end of 08 things were getting better. I loved my PS3, so I am not a fanboy trying to bash Sony, I am just recalling how desperate sony fanboys were for the "savior" against the Wii and then 360.  

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:

I remember several people on this site hyping Folklore (yes it was not many but some). People may not have said Haze would kill Halo, but they looked at it as Sony's answer to Halo and hyped it alot as a potential system seller. 06-08 were not good years for the PS3 no matter how you spin it, yes there were a few good games but they were few and far between, by the end of 08 things were getting better. I loved my PS3, so I am not a fanboy trying to bash Sony, I am just recalling how desperate sony fanboys were for the "savior" against the Wii and then 360.  

Haze was hyped because it was developed by the same people who did time splitters. However, that was when it was first announced (as multiplat) then it got reinvigorated with exclusive announcement. But as it suffered delay and previews started trickling in hype drastically died and it was obvious the game would be crap. If you need a refresher of the exact type of treatment Haze had then just think of Fuse. Announced. Looked cool. Made by insomniac. Hyped. Name change and direction change. Started looking generic. Delayed. Hype died. Launch. Bomba

MikeRox said:
The thing is, when more dedicated XB1 software launches, it can be developed with the full knowledge that any Kinect features can be used by 100% of the userbase.

IMO it's a huge factor in the success of a lot of Wii titles.

But, 100% of the XBONE userbase is still <50% of the market.

If the game is coming to PS4 as well then Kinect being bundled or not becomes pointless.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
bigjon said:

Haze was hyped because it was developed by the same people who did time splitters. However, that was when it was first announced (as multiplat) then it got reinvigorated with exclusive announcement. But as it suffered delay and previews started trickling in hype drastically died and it was obvious the game would be crap. If you need a refresher of the exact type of treatment Haze had then just think of Fuse. Announced. Looked cool. Made by insomniac. Hyped. Name change and direction change. Started looking generic. Delayed. Hype died. Launch. Bomba

Exactly. My whole point was the Haze and other games that were really bad were hyped at one point. Honestly the P360 turned a corner in 08. GTA4 released, and while COD WaW was not the best game in the series the fact it maintain the momentum from CoD MW1 told us it was going to be a monster for some time.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

tbone51 said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Pathetic Titanfall boost. Doom it is then...

btw PS4 or X1 > Nintendo family

btw way 3DS outsells vita almost 16:1  :p

It's fine as long as Vita gets more games #20V1T4

Can I ask who BenV is and why I should take note of what he says? This is out of pure ignorance on my part and in no way am I trying to discredit what he says.

The PS5 Exists. 

pezus said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Can I ask who BenV is and why I should take note of what he says? This is out of pure ignorance on my part and in no way am I trying to discredit what he says.

He's a bigshot at Gamestop

Thanks. So he's aware of shipments and trends all around their branches?

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:

Thanks. So he's aware of shipments and trends all around their branches?

No one knows his exact position within the company. But he claims to see numbers of shipments, stock and sell through of gamestop and also research on other rival companies as well.

PS - Dont take my wording to mean I dont believe him. I use the word claim because I dont know who he is and dont know what numbers he has access to. Since I can not be 100% for sure know he is who he says he is then I cannot say with certainty he does what he says he does. (think of Mr. Pinks conversation with Mr White in Resevoir Dogs in the bathroom.)