By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD March 2014 Thread - PS4 #1 (371k), Xbox One 311k, 360 111k, WiiU ~70k, Vita close to 4 digits. Titanfall tops software

Did the NPD results surprise you?

Yes 379 53.23%

No 308 43.26%

Total:687
Ucell said:
dsage01 said:
Ucell said:
dsage01 said:
Infamous second son sales are slightly disappointing given the strong PS4 sales. I wonder what PS4 exclusive will manage a million in its first month that's releasing this year.

It sold a million units in 9 days. Didn't you know this already?

I meant in the USA. 

I don't see that happening until The Order: 1886 or Uncharted 4 then.

Uncharted 4 is going to be HUGE. If TLOU can hit a million in a month in the states that UC4 should be spinning off some crazy numbers. 

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
MikeRox said:

It's a pity a Monster Hunter game would do little to nothing for Vita in the West. But now that it's scratching at becoming the weekly best selling system in Japan with much more potential for growth than the 3DS, the likelihood of a Monster Hunter on the system is as good as it's ever going to be.

Given current US sales, even getting a larger share of the Japanese style games fans minority would be a significant boost!   

Very true >_<

Quite a few games people on here said would make them get a Vita seem to be happening so even with what's just been announced for localisation so far may shift a few Vitas into homes, especially  as there is finally some high quality exclusive stuff on the way this year. 

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

bigjon said:
It seems clear that NDP under tracker XB1 in Jan which then made VGC look like they overtracked, overtract XB1 in Feb which made VGC look even worse, then was possible back on track for March.

Fact is while NDP numbers are accurate over a 2-3 month span they are not too good month to month, the way they adjust is by basically taking the current total- what they were tracking = current month.

lol no. XB1 had a terrible Jan. Target was sending xb1 back to MS which in turn had to convert old stock into Titanfall and Forza budles to resell back to retailers

Shinobi-san said:
DélioPT said:

I don`t think MS`s concern is to use Kinect alongside SW, but to use Kinect to provide a different experience when using XB1.

They had the time to develop SW with the first Kinect but they didn`t try to hard, i think.

I always saw the new Kinect as the Move was to Wii. It`s a better product, a better experience, but the premise was already sold with the "inferior" product. Gamers didn`t jump to Move because it wasn`t new. As the new Kinect isn`t new anymore. It`s a better experience, but just that.

Well if they planned not to have software for the kinect then thats even worse.

You cant sell a game console on a non gaming experience. Well you can but it hasnt been done successfully yet. MS needed to show off the capabilities of the new kinect with gaming software. They had absolutely nothing.

Also the way MS has marketed Kinect and spoken about it, as a gaming experience, doesnt fit your theory.

Let`s put it this way: how many games have you seen MS announce that are really tailored for Kinect?
I can only remember that fighting game.

I`m not saying that MS isn`t interested in putting out games that use Kinect. It`s just that from the presentation until (commercials that i have seen, aswell) all show that Kinect is being pushed for the non gaming apps/interface.

It can change, come E3. But until that happens MS is showing Kinect not as a gaming tool but a tool to interact with the console.

oniyide said:
Shinobi-san said:

You cant sell a game console on a non gaming experience. Well you can but it hasnt been done successfully yet. MS needed to show off the capabilities of the new kinect with gaming software. They had absolutely nothing.

Also the way MS has marketed Kinect and spoken about it, as a gaming experience, doesnt fit your theory.

But ironically thats EXACTLY what they tried to do. Their E3 presentation made that clear, DRM thing didnt help either. As for marketing delio's theory. IMHO its all lip service from MS they are saying what people want to hear. But their actions back up what Delio was saying.

Things dont always go to plan though. Im just saying that surely the approach with Kinect 2.0 wasnt entirely deliberate?

They should know based on the success of the Wii and the first Kinect that the real selling point of these devices is its "innovative" or new approach to gaming.

In any case i dont think MS had a very clear strategy or plan. Seemed like bad leadership all round. And i think arguing about what their plan was is a bit pointless considering that a doesnt seem like they had one.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
DélioPT said:
Shinobi-san said:
DélioPT said:

I don`t think MS`s concern is to use Kinect alongside SW, but to use Kinect to provide a different experience when using XB1.

They had the time to develop SW with the first Kinect but they didn`t try to hard, i think.

I always saw the new Kinect as the Move was to Wii. It`s a better product, a better experience, but the premise was already sold with the "inferior" product. Gamers didn`t jump to Move because it wasn`t new. As the new Kinect isn`t new anymore. It`s a better experience, but just that.

Let`s put it this way: how many games have you seen MS announce that are really tailored for Kinect?

I`m not saying that MS isn`t interested in putting out games that use Kinect. It`s just that from the presentation until (commercials that i have seen, aswell) all show that Kinect is being pushed for the non gaming apps/interface.

It can change, come E3. But until that happens MS is showing Kinect not as a gaming tool but a tool to interact with the console.

Its a bit tough to sell the Kinect on gaming software when there hardly is any for it.

See my above reply to oniyide....i dont think MS had a clear plan with XB1 as a whole.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
DélioPT said:

Its a bit tough to sell the Kinect on gaming software when there hardly is any for it.

See my above reply to oniyide....i dont think MS had a clear plan with XB1 as a whole.

I think their plan of selling Kinect on XB1 might include SW in the future - would be really strange if not. They just took an initial aproach of selling it as a tool of interaction, if you will. Basically, a continuation of what they had already done on XB360, but having it now as an integral part of the console as opposed to selling it as an increment to the XB experience.

That, to me, is what they intended on doing with the integration of Kinect since day one and how they have showed the console to the consumer.

The thing is, when more dedicated XB1 software launches, it can be developed with the full knowledge that any Kinect features can be used by 100% of the userbase.

IMO it's a huge factor in the success of a lot of Wii titles.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Shinobi-san said:
oniyide said:
Shinobi-san said:

But ironically thats EXACTLY what they tried to do. Their E3 presentation made that clear, DRM thing didnt help either. As for marketing delio's theory. IMHO its all lip service from MS they are saying what people want to hear. But their actions back up what Delio was saying.

Things dont always go to plan though. Im just saying that surely the approach with Kinect 2.0 wasnt entirely deliberate?

They should know based on the success of the Wii and the first Kinect that the real selling point of these devices is its "innovative" or new approach to gaming.

In any case i dont think MS had a very clear strategy or plan. Seemed like bad leadership all round. And i think arguing about what their plan was is a bit pointless considering that a doesnt seem like they had one.

What wasnt deliberate about it? Even if there plan was to do nothing that is still technically a plan.

@bolded its funny you use the words "should know" we are talking about a company that was going to cram DRM down their customers throats. They SHOULD have known that wasnt going to fly anyone with common sense would have known that, but here we are. They HAD a plan, but it was just a really crappy one, its that simple. Now why they had that crap plan, could be arrogance or simply bad leadership as you say.

IMHO I think they put alot more faith into Kinect than they probably should have I think they thought lighting would strike twice and people would run to buy it ala the first Kinect, then worry about software later. But that didnt really pan out so I dont think we will see alot of games coming to Kinect, hell they might not even try to shoehorn it in.

MikeRox said:
The thing is, when more dedicated XB1 software launches, it can be developed with the full knowledge that any Kinect features can be used by 100% of the userbase.

IMO it's a huge factor in the success of a lot of Wii titles.

THats probably a fair and accurate assestment. Heres the problem with that. DO people eve CARE about those types of games anymore? Dont think even this Kinect will be able to play core games that much better, and the Just Dance sports crowd that did like Kinect I think the numbers have diminished. And even then they arent paying 450+ to play slightly better versions of games they've already played. People forget how cheap the WIii was in comparison.