By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD March 2014 Thread - PS4 #1 (371k), Xbox One 311k, 360 111k, WiiU ~70k, Vita close to 4 digits. Titanfall tops software

Did the NPD results surprise you?

Yes 379 53.23%

No 308 43.26%

Total:687
pezus said:
askel50 said:
If they cut the price $100 they will outsell PS4 very comfortably. If they do a kinect-less SKU at $350 they will outsell it permanently. It's easy to see that the main factor hodling back people is the price. The 360 just sold 111K.

Completely disagree. They'd outsell it in America and maybe the UK, but WW would still be PS4 zone.

I was talking about US sales, it's the NPD thread. But US and UK could balance sony domination in continental Europe and Japan and WW would be a much closer fight.

Around the Network
askel50 said:
pezus said:
askel50 said:
If they cut the price $100 they will outsell PS4 very comfortably. If they do a kinect-less SKU at $350 they will outsell it permanently. It's easy to see that the main factor hodling back people is the price. The 360 just sold 111K.

Completely disagree. They'd outsell it in America and maybe the UK, but WW would still be PS4 zone.

I was talking about US sales, it's the NPD thread. But US and UK could balance sony domination in continental Europe and Japan and WW would be a much closer fight.

If US and UK ended up in a close race, then PS4 already won with a huge gap by 10s of millions in global sales. PS3 was down by 25 million in US+UK and it managed to outsell 360 in worldwide numbers, just imagine if PS3 closed that 25m gap in US+UK.

pezus said:

Where did the PS3 number come from though?

Also, looks like PS4 software is undertracked by almost 200k. XBO software basically spot on

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108604416&postcount=4101

And X1 software is not quite accurate if we consider that Titanfall is undertracked by about 140k, that means the rest of the software is overtracked by about 170k, not much but not nothing either.

Can't believe the PS4 still comfortably outsold the X1 after it got such a big push.

Those Vita numbers are beyond shocking. FFX HD didn't do a thing.

TheShogun said:
BeElite said:
TheShogun said:

You can't honestly belive current sales are the best the Xbox One will have, I mean for Christs sake Wii U is up YOY for hardly any reason, it has no 3rd pary support and really just the promise of a few exclusives on the horizons.

Do you honestly believe the One will only outsell the PS4 in NA during Halo week? I mean that, objectivley look at the question and tell me you belive that.  Because if so that's quite a shocking outlook.

Again your misunderstanding my entire point in this thread. Overall sales, X1 is fucked in terms of outselling the competition. The ship has sailed, its over. Sony won this generation. The momentum they have isn't something MS can get back.  But who knows how trends will go, which games that are new IP's could blow up, etc. I mean look at Gears of War, that game turned into a huge IP and now people are saying its one of the only weeks MS can win NA when the next one launches.

Again its WAY too early to make these kinds of large scale predictions and those that do end up looking very foolish when people dig these threads up years from now.

X1 will have better sales then this, issue is PS4 will have much much better sales then they have now.  So no matter what PS4 is well PS4ing the competition no matter how well they do.  They couldnt out sale it with Titanfall free bundles, i dount anything other then Halo will out sale it.  Even Gears is not a sure bet. 

It in no way to early, price can only be cut so much before its to big a loss to sale to shareholders and higher ups.  We know the big franchises and more or less when they will come. 

PS4 is the platform for 3rd parties, so other then a big exclusive liek Halo nothing is really gonna push X1.  

Again, no we don't.

Last generation Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Gears of War, and The Last of Us were all new IP's with zero previous games to judge sales on.  We have no idea what big new IPs will be born this generation.  One or more of them very well could come from MS Game Studios.

It is very likely that the PS4 will consistantly outsell the Xbox One for the forseeable future, but in year one its FAR too early to start calling something as bold as PS4 outselling the X1 every single week of the year. We litteraly have no idea what this generation is going to look like or which games will be the big players yet.

Most new IPs have slow starts unless they are launch window games or late gen highly acclaimed gens. So if they are going to have an effect it probably won't be the month of release.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DélioPT said:

Once there`s two or more competitors, there`s always a brand war. It`s only natural.
the difference that generation is that neither GC nor XB stood a chance to even have a "war". The war was already before they came to the market.

I`m sure that many MS and Nintendo fans went through a tough time back then.

That's just speculation based on last gen and this gen. The PS2 released after the GC and Xbox yes, so it was definetly not designed to compete against their hardware. Thus the GC and Xbox were a lot more powerful. However, The Console War that we have now that started last gen is not the same one that we had prior in with the PS1, Saturn, and 64 in the 5th Gen, that "war" was incited by the companies to increase market awareness.

The 7th gen War was started by fans and thanks to the internet and social media fanbases can communciate with each other and against other groups. 

In 5th gen most people here had dial up, you didn't have internet communities for the PS2, it barely had online gaming. Only having one console for some kind of brand identity was even more insane then it is now because, social networking didn't really exist so you could barely even voice your opinions. It only made sense if it was an issue of price, or convience (many people were introduced into gaming because of the Xbox)

MS fans were such because they liked Xbox, but it had nothing to do with whether or not they where fans of PS2 or Nintendo.

Being more vocal now is easier but doesn`t mean that the brand wars didn`t have a big weight before. The internet just made it more visible.

I think the "my console is better than yours" goes back further that you think. I have been hearing that argument ever since the SNES and Genesis/MD days.
To me it`s nothing new. It just seems worse because it`s more widespread now than ever before.

All i was saying is that MS fans aren`t experiencing anything new. Is it on a different scale? Yes. But it`s nothing new.

Shinobi-san said:
DélioPT said:
xenogears1234 said:
DélioPT said:

I think that right from the start it was obvious that PS4 was going to put one heck of a fight in the US. And given the hype before it was only natural for it to start above the XB1.
People are also very quick to forget what history has taught us. In 2007/8 people already claimed PS3 to be dead last and Wii to overcome everyone with ease. Look how things turned out.

We are 6 months into this cycle and people are already calling XB1 doomed. Even in the States, it`s too early to see how things will pan out.
With XB1 doing so well at 500$, it`s got a great future ahead of it.
And let`s not forget, MS is in a better condition to decrease the price gap and keep it competitive.

Microsoft is not sony they dont have the track record  with studios/indy support in terms of titles.  Nor do they have the fanbase built up to take this kind of a hit like sony did last gen and recover from it.  Also sony could justify the price of the ps3 cause of blu ray, microsoft can not do the same cause of kinect, and trust me if sony launched the ps3 and was losing head to head to the 360 in europe and japan the way xbox is losing america sony fans would have been rightfully just as panicked.

The first MS fans had to endure the success of PS2, so it`s nothing new to them.
I´m not sure if MS can or cannot justify the price tag. From a manufacturing point of view, the price might be just about right. From a commercial point of view the only reason i`d say no, is because the basic premise of Kinect was already sold on XB360. From the angle, the new Kinect isn`t enough reason ot buy a 500$ console.
It`s a tough call. Personally, i never believed the new Kinect would make the same impact.

The thing is XB360 wasn`t doing that well in Europe as XB1 is doing, now, in the US. They are on par, but up there in sales numbers, not down there.
That`s why i don`t understand the doom comments. I understand that MS might be worried that it will be a tougher fight they originally thought, but there`s no reason to panic. Selling 311K is more than healthy for the Xbox business in the US.

In my opinion the new Kinect could have done wonders. But there's no software for it.

This is the biggest issue i have with MS's X1 launch. They are investing a lot in Kinect yet they didnt have any software for it? And apart from one or two games now they still dont have the software to sell the device.

I don`t think MS`s concern is to use Kinect alongside SW, but to use Kinect to provide a different experience when using XB1.

They had the time to develop SW with the first Kinect but they didn`t try to hard, i think.

I always saw the new Kinect as the Move was to Wii. It`s a better product, a better experience, but the premise was already sold with the "inferior" product. Gamers didn`t jump to Move because it wasn`t new. As the new Kinect isn`t new anymore. It`s a better experience, but just that.

DélioPT said:

Being more vocal now is easier but doesn`t mean that the brand wars didn`t have a big weight before. The internet just made it more visible.

I think the "my console is better than yours" goes back further that you think. I have been hearing that argument ever since the SNES and Genesis/MD days.
To me it`s nothing new. It just seems worse because it`s more widespread now than ever before.

All i was saying is that MS fans aren`t experiencing anything new. Is it on a different scale? Yes. But it`s nothing new.

Before the internet however, the brand wars were not relevant, at least from the consumer point of view. Consoles were not mainstream back then.

It was only because of advertising that media had any invovement with brands, today we have entire sites dedicated to fanbases, trolling of those fanbases, and making objective comparisons between consoles to satisfy those fanbases just because of the Console War. it is a different beast regardless if it originated from fans in pre-6th gen.

The first console war was incited by the companies, now its the community who is propogating it.

The scale makes it different.

Was anybody even tracking the og Xbox at the time? It was established fact at that point that PS2 owned gaming in 6th gen, nobody even considered otherwise. There were no reasonable expectations that the Xbox was going to somehow sell tens of millions of consoles monthly in its short life with a higher price, no company would be able to make that many consoles anyway.

Ultimately, its your opinion, whether or not MS fans are used to losing which I find ludicrous considering Last Gen happened.

They might be two similar wars but they are not the same, they took advantage of different tensions and where incited by different reasons.

CWI was incited by the companies making PR claims such as Blast Processing and the works, and exploited the lack of technical knowledge of the mainstream and buyers remorse.

CWII was incited by the communities expectations for 7th and 8th Gen, the advent of social media that allowed the community to be vocal, and the media outlets who magnify the exposure of gaming news illiciting a response from the community. It exploits buyers remorse as well but the avaliability of information thanks to the internet and social media.

Just like WWI and WWII, were not just the same war at different scale, the same holds for CWI and CWII.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

BenVTrigger said:
Man I knew going into week 3 of the month this was going to get crazy.

Titanfall week Xbox One was in the lead, but man Titanfall was a flash in the pan. Huge opening week and nice hardware boost and a big drop off. By the time Infamous release rolled around I wasn't sure who would win NPD, as there was a huge momentum swing in favor of the PS4.

Crazy stuff.

how's the legs on infamous looking to you?   i was hoping good, one of those game that new buyers pick up i mean.   really, i just want to see it outsell the orginal infamous's 2.75M.

...and yes, this has been a fun NPD thread.  i might not be posting much but i'm enjoying the hell out of this.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DélioPT said:

Before the internet however, the brand wars were not relevant, at least from the consumer point of view. Consoles were not mainstream back then.

It was only because of advertising that media had any invovement with brands, today we have entire sites dedicated to fanbases, trolling of those fanbases, and making objective comparisons between consoles to satisfy those fanbases just because of the Console War. it is a different beast regardless if it originated from fans in pre-6th gen.

The first console war was incited by the companies, now its the community who is propogating it.

The scale makes it different.

Was anybody even tracking the og Xbox at the time? It was established fact at that point that PS2 owned gaming in 6th gen, nobody even considered otherwise. There were no reasonable expectations that the Xbox was going to somehow sell tens of millions of consoles monthly in its short life with a higher price, no company would be able to make that many consoles anyway.

Ultimately, its your opinion, whether or not MS fans are used to losing which I find ludicrous considering Last Gen happened.

They might be two similar wars but they are not the same, they took advantage of different tensions and where incited by different reasons.

CWI was incited by the companies making PR claims such as Blast Processing and the works, and exploited the lack of technical knowledge of the mainstream and buyers remorse.

CWII was incited by the communities expectations for 7th and 8th Gen, the advent of social media that allowed the community to be vocal, and the media outlets who magnify the exposure of gaming news illiciting a response from the community. It exploits buyers remorse as well but the avaliability of information thanks to the internet and social media.

Just like WWI and WWII, were not just the same war at different scale, the same holds for CWI and CWII.

"Ultimately, its your opinion, whether or not MS fans are used to losing which I find ludicrous considering Last Gen happened."

You misunderstood me here.
When i said that it`s nothing new to MS fans, i never meant for it to cover both MS consoles, just the first one.

As i agreed before, it really is a different thing nowdays, as it`s easier to hear and be heard.