By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD March 2014 Thread - PS4 #1 (371k), Xbox One 311k, 360 111k, WiiU ~70k, Vita close to 4 digits. Titanfall tops software

Did the NPD results surprise you?

Yes 379 53.23%

No 308 43.26%

Total:687
bananaking21 said:
BenVTrigger said:

In terms of vs the PS4? Yes that is probably true 

But in terms of units May actually might be better as Watch Dogs is gonna have a solid launch on the One. 

looking at VGC pre-order numbers Watch Dogs has around 645K pre-orders in the USA. im prett sure the delay hurt Watch Dogs in terms of sales, but do you think it can still surprise us and actually be a big seller?  i personally feel the general consciousness right now is watch dogs just wont be that big, but pre-order numbers are good. mostly likely at this rate it will end with 800k~850k pre orders in the USA alone (according to VGC). how do you think it will perform?

also, do you think it will push PS4+XB1 sales? 

IMO if watch dogs is reviewed well it will be a smash hit. Everyone I talk to wants to think this game will rock, but most have not committed to buying. I think this game defines the cliche " hit or miss "

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
BMaker11 said:
Dark_Feanor said:
Everything in this discussion could be answer if this simple statment:

XOne is 25% more expensive than the PS4 and its selling 20% less units on the USA.

-------------------------------

But then people will call out the bundle and the limited time disconts... well so be it.

The fact is that as long as the Xone is more expensive than the competition it won´t outsell then, unless there are many significant advantages to do so.

However, Sony can´t just seat on the montain of PS4 sold and do nothing to improve the system and ad features to the console.

PS3 has never ever been cheaper than Xbox 360, yet PS3 outsold 360, even with the year head start. Your argument is invalid.

Not in the USA.

In the last, let´s say, 3 years the 360 outsould the PS3 in every but one month in the USA, September last year with the GTA V bundle and cross marketing.

Besides, the PS3 had many advantages over the 360... it has BluRay disc, Multplay was free and later had free games with PSN+...

My argument is rock solid.

If you want to limit things to the US, sure. But the PS4 is outselling the Xbone everywhere else, as did the PS3 over 360. And you're making the argument that XBone needs to drop the price because being more expensive means it will never outsell the competition. And to deflect the fact that the PS3 was more expensive and outsold the competition, you say "it had advantages. Blu ray, free online, etc." What about the XBone's suppposed advantages? Kinect, snap, TV stuff via HDMI in, XBL being "superior", SmartGlass integration, etc. Do "advantages" not matter now? Your argument is flip flopping more than a fish out of water.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

So we have total X1 software at 7.48 million vs 7.51 million on vgchartz, since Titanfall is apparently undertracked by about 140k that means, we have the other games on X1 overtracked by ~170k.

With the PS4 it's 6.78 million vs 6.59 million on vgchartz, with Infamous being over by about 30k that means that the other games are undertracked by ~220k.

Not a huge difference but I thought it's worth mentioning.

BenVTrigger said:
BeElite said:
BenVTrigger said:

Just wait for April......its gonna be ugly most likely at this rate.

May will be far worse.

MLB14 (ex)
Bound by flame (ex/pc)
Wolfenstein (multi)
Watch Dogs (multi/sony ex marketing)

But in terms of units May actually might be better as Watch Dogs is gonna have a solid launch on the One. 

The gap will be bigger in May though, MS has no exclusives till the Fall season. Sony has exclusive marketing for Watch Dogs, it will have PS4 bundles. It will be HUGE, it's one of the most anticipated next gen titles, it's one of the biggest in terms of youtube views and social media mentions and they are all mostly about the PS4 version. Sony did good by securing the marketing for the biggest 3rd party games this year: Watch Dogs, Destiny, Arkham Knight, (and probably AC Unity). These games will be basically seen as PS4 games, like the deal MS has going on with Call of Duty.

bigjon said:
bananaking21 said:
BenVTrigger said:

looking at VGC pre-order numbers Watch Dogs has around 645K pre-orders in the USA. im prett sure the delay hurt Watch Dogs in terms of sales, but do you think it can still surprise us and actually be a big seller?  i personally feel the general consciousness right now is watch dogs just wont be that big, but pre-order numbers are good. mostly likely at this rate it will end with 800k~850k pre orders in the USA alone (according to VGC). how do you think it will perform?

IMO if watch dogs is reviewed well it will be a smash hit. Everyone I talk to wants to think this game will rock, but most have not committed to buying. I think this game defines the cliche " hit or miss "

People may be expecting a GTA effect from this game. I might get it because it's based in my home town and has tons of hours to play, havent pre-ordered. I hope it's reviews are good.

Around the Network
DerNebel said:

So we have total X1 software at 7.48 million vs 7.51 million on vgchartz, since Titanfall is apparently undertracked by about 140k that means, we have the other games on X1 overtracked by ~170k.

With the PS4 it's 6.78 million vs 6.59 million on vgchartz, with Infamous being over by about 30k that means that the other games are undertracked by ~220k.

So that Titanfall Xbox One >1m was retail only?

jlmurph2 said:
DerNebel said:

Including bundle, but yes.

bananaking21 said:
BenVTrigger said:

You shouldnt look at the preorder numbers, it's generally accepted as the most unreliable data on this site.

Watch Dogs will be big, atleast on the PS4. It's getting exclusive marketing and bundles. It''s one of the next gen games with the biggest buzz since 2012. May will probably be the biggest month this year so far.

jlmurph2 said:
bigjon said:
bananaking21 said:
BenVTrigger said:

People may be expecting a GTA effect from this game. I might get it because it's based in my home town and has tons of hours to play, havent pre-ordered. I hope it's reviews are good.

yes, again I think this is a game many people are hoping is good. Fanboyism aside this a game the industry needs to do well.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

DerNebel said:
jlmurph2 said:
DerNebel said:

Including bundle, but yes.

I figured, but I know Titanfall was the #1 downloaded game for about 2 weeks on Xbox Live Store being over free games like Project Spark, Killer Instinct and Xbox Fitness. Its settled in the top 5 but I do wonder how much the game sold digitally.