By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Could The Vita Ever Catch The 3DS?

NobleTeam360 said:
Not a chance. Sony could drop the price of Vita to 99 and I still don't think anyone would buy it.

Vitas won't even sell at $99?

Your business must really be in trouble. :-/

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Not a chance. Sony could drop the price of Vita to 99 and I still don't think anyone would buy it.

Vitas won't even sell at $99?

Your business must really be in trouble. :-/

It is actually.......... Think I'm going to have to go down to 50 for it to sale.

for the Vita to become successful it needs the following things: a significant memory card price cut or a way to use more conventional storage options that cannot be hacked, an e3 over hyped 1st party exclusive app (3rd parties will always go to the most successful platform in the handheld market), super casual games, becomes a companion to smartphones and tablets (entering into direct competition is fruitless)

To be honest, Vita TV is more liable to be successful if it is released in the states as a full micro console/media hub, but it could also cut into PS4 marketshare if they aren't careful.

PS4 Vita bundle would help, but PS4 + Vita TV bundle for 450 and Vita TV for 100 would be better for the bottom line and overall.
(all figures USD)

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

U wot m8? Srsly though Nintendo as always dominated the handheld gaming market since the Gameboy. Blockbuster games, good hardware designs, good battery life, etc.. Vita is great but obviously can´t match the popularity of Nintendo´s handhelds (in this case 3DS).

tpjp said:
U wot m8? Srsly though Nintendo as always dominated the handheld gaming market since the Gameboy. Blockbuster games, good hardware designs, good battery life, etc.. Vita is great but obviously can´t match the popularity of Nintendo´s handhelds (in this case 3DS).

I'd be happy to see the Vita sell even half of what the PSP sold. In my mind that would make the Vita a sucess. 

Around the Network

at the rate ps vita is going now, not a chance. its dead in NA doing okay in japan. We have to face it people never really got caught on to the vita, i enjoy the vita but i don't think id recommend it to anyone it just doesn't have that gaming soul the 3ds has that everyone has taking a liking to. vita will probably max out 25 mil lifetime.

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but the chances aren't high at all.

The more I think about it, the most likely way for the Vita to catch up with the 3DS is the Micro Console. Competing with a cheaper, more favored, larger game library having, competitor in a shrinking Red Ocean is pointless. Dropping the Vita would be detrimental to the brand however, so like the Wii U they should just keep swimming.

The Micro Console market is basically a Blue Ocean though, and for 100$ vita TV has barely any competition anywhere. Plus it would move a lot of software.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

NobleTeam360 said:
tpjp said:

I'd be happy to see the Vita sell even half of what the PSP sold. In my mind that would make the Vita a sucess. 

Same here.

Now, no matter how much I enjoy my Vita, I can't tell other people to enjoy it. You need only look at sales in the US and how the sales gap between the two is growing by about 100k a week consistently. For the Vita to turn things around, it needs to close down the rough 35 mil sales gap, or that's outselling the 3DS for every week by the same margin as the 3DS is outselling it now, for a constant 5 years, assuming it starts happening right now.

Even if, by some Miracle, the Vita does live on for several years after the 3DS, it's have to be pulling numbers around 150k a week pretty reliably, around 4-5x what it's doing now in what is normally the "peak year", to even have a chance of catching.

So yeah, I really like my Vita, but I know it's no sales success. Same with the Wii U. Sometimes it's easier to accept these things and just enjoy the games than hope for the impossible.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.