By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo do what Sony did next-gen?

Conina said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Conina said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:

Cool thanks. I want a PS4, but I don't want to pay for online.

Then pay for the great value of the PS+ games and get online for free as a bonus to the games ;)

Alas, I don't currently own a credit card...

PS+ cards (retail), PSN cards (retail), PayPal...

Thanks. I thought they only worked for digital games.

Around the Network
Trunkin said:
prayformojo said:
DucksUnlimited said:
The Gamecube was a "powerful hardware console at an attractive price."

The right moves for Sony =/= the right moves for Nintendo.

Why I have to correct statments like yours over and over again is beyond me. The only thing the Gamecube shared with MS and Sony was the power. The controller was not standard, being that it only had one analog stick and a tiny little plastic nub. The media was not a standard DVD. The console was purple with a handle and it didn't push online gameplay AT ALL.

Nitnendo hasn't released a console that uses intdustry standards since the SNES. Ironically, that was the last sucessful "hardcore" console they released. That's what people mean when they say "pull a Sony". They mean, release something like a PS4, only with Nintendo games.

You sound like you've never held a GC controller before. It was pretty standard. The shape of the nub didn't detract from it's useablility in any substantial way. It's main drawbacks were it's lack of an L bumper and clickable joysticks, but even those could be worked around. Hell, I didn't even know the PS2 had clickable analogs until well after the gen was over.

TBH I don't think miniDVDs were too much of an issue either, as devs could always use multiple discs if they absolutely had to. Honestly, I think the GC's main issue was Nintendo's self important, stuck up, "quality over quantity" attitude when it came to third party devs and multiplats. The way I see it, that's what they've been paying for since the N64 days.

I got a Gamecube at launch. That little nub would NOT have worked for FPS, as evident by the fact that even Prime 1,2 didn't even use it. The one game that did, Geist, controlled like ass (I owned it). Not only was it too small, it didn't even have the same degree of motion. That's why it was used for camera movement.

Everything I said (media, lack of second full size analog stick, color, no online play/support) is the reason is bombed. It was the odd ball of the three.

Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

last gen sold the most consoles if combining all major brands and I really doubt the core market is anywhere near that size.

The most logical explanation I can think of is that the market temporarily expanded because it was wow'd by the wii but eventually lost interest. Maybe for a brief period of time, gaming was considered 'cool' because of the wii and socially acceptable for more people? (honestly cant see a family sitting around a tv playing GTA or battlefield)

This makes sense because traditionally nintendo home consoles havent sold anywhere near 100m units, while the wii was able to do it alongside the successfull xbox 360 and PS3 which are both on 80m units.

Again, I just dont think the market is that big. I dont know where they all went, but evidently the vast majority dont seem to be coming back for the wii U, hence my reply that the market has abandoned them.

its called the blue ocean, the blue ocean isnt around anymore, judging by the lower sales of blue ocean type software and HW but some people still are in denial. They went to the phones and tablets or they just stopped playing games, period. Pick your poison.

The blue ocean is *always* around. The point of it is that nobody is hunting there.

iOS and android is

Cobretti2 said:
oniyide said:
Cobretti2 said:
They can't do a PS4 next gen for two reasons.

1. No 3rd party support
2. Most people don't seem to value a Nintendo system for more than $250. So how are they going to pack PS4 parts in for that price from the start and make money?

damn i didnt even think about that, thats really messed up. So are people naturally expecting it to be lower value?

Well I think they have been conditioned to it by Nintendo. It would be hard to justify them going up to say $400-$500 at launch even if it had alll the media player funcitons like the competition. 

The thinkg that shits me about consoles in general is that people value them less then their mobile phones (and mobiles even cost more), yet peopel change them every year (granted they do upgrade and sell the old).  Imagine how much better consoles would have been if people accepted a $800 norm price for consoles. 

you cant compare phones to consoles, you cant. you will come up short every time. you are making the same mistake i think Ninty has been making. YOu dont NEED consoles, but you do need a phone, and if you might as well get something nice if you need it, hell the contracts make it so you dont even have to spend that much on phones anyway and the are kind of a status symbol were consoles are not. No one was ever going to accept 800 norm because you dont need consoles. The portable market is effected more IMHO at least with consoles it can be like a media box, but how many people are going to want to carry their phone and their Vita or 3ds? the number is going down. You cant look at it as a gamer you have to look at it as a non gamer. IMHO thats what Ninty problem is the longer they fight it the more money they leave on the table.

prayformojo said:
Trunkin said:
prayformojo said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Why I have to correct statments like yours over and over again is beyond me. The only thing the Gamecube shared with MS and Sony was the power. The controller was not standard, being that it only had one analog stick and a tiny little plastic nub. The media was not a standard DVD. The console was purple with a handle and it didn't push online gameplay AT ALL.

Nitnendo hasn't released a console that uses intdustry standards since the SNES. Ironically, that was the last sucessful "hardcore" console they released. That's what people mean when they say "pull a Sony". They mean, release something like a PS4, only with Nintendo games.

You sound like you've never held a GC controller before. It was pretty standard. The shape of the nub didn't detract from it's useablility in any substantial way. It's main drawbacks were it's lack of an L bumper and clickable joysticks, but even those could be worked around. Hell, I didn't even know the PS2 had clickable analogs until well after the gen was over.

TBH I don't think miniDVDs were too much of an issue either, as devs could always use multiple discs if they absolutely had to. Honestly, I think the GC's main issue was Nintendo's self important, stuck up, "quality over quantity" attitude when it came to third party devs and multiplats. The way I see it, that's what they've been paying for since the N64 days.

I got a Gamecube at launch. That little nub would NOT have worked for FPS, as evident by the fact that even Prime 1,2 didn't even use it. The one game that did, Geist, controlled like ass (I owned it). Not only was it too small, it didn't even have the same degree of motion. That's why it was used for camera movement.

Everything I said (media, lack of second full size analog stick, color, no online play/support) is the reason is bombed. It was the odd ball of the three.

outside of the NInty games the system itself had no clear advantages over the other two. Sure it was more powerful than PS2 but not more than xbox and it didnt have online like you said. That was really the system to get for Ninty games.

Around the Network
prayformojo said:
Trunkin said:
prayformojo said:
DucksUnlimited said:

I still maintain that the C-stick's flaws weren't enough to make it unusable, or even detract from a game to the extent that it wasn't worth porting a title to the system, but, as I never played an FPS on the system(besides Prime) I'll just have to take your word for it. Makes me tempted to get one of those Mayflash adapters to test it out with COD or something. FPS's weren't so big as they are these days, though, so meh.

It was a bit of an oddball, though, that's true, and, besides the substantial price advantage(which should've been enough to mitigate the lack of multimedia functions, but IDK), it had no distinct draw over M$ and Sony's offerings, and people were clearly getting a little tired of Mario and Zelda at that point. Their kiddy image wasn't helping them any, either. That said, I think that reaching out to third parties to increase their software library would've gone a long way to making their system a more attractive purchase, and drawing consumers' attention away from the systems shortcomings and towards its' positive points, as the efforts of only their own developers clearly weren't enough. :/ 

prayformojo said:
DucksUnlimited said:

What? You corrected nothing. You literally just said that the only thing they had in common was the thing that I just said they had in common.

McDonaldsGuy said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Exactly. Hardcore gamers abandoned Nintendo years ago.

Nintendo needs to go for another thing like the Wii. I was surprised they thought the Wii U controller would be as popular as the Wiimote.

But is there another thing like Wiimote? I don't think lurching from gimmick to gimmick is sustainable. I've suggested VR could be the next thing. But really unless it becomes an essential part of all gaming (like the controller, analog stick and buttons) then it's just another gimmick aqnd it will fade. But also it's not so much about the method of control, it's actually about the games. For all that Nintendo's longstanding franchises are so highly regarded, they still have limited appeal. Franchise longevity is one thing, but creating fresh new IP is so important because eventually fatigue does set in and only the truly devoted fans (which are never all that many in the grand schem of things) will keep buying.

Nintendo needs to get out of making cartoony games about a tubby Italian plumber, and a child-like elf and start making the hard hitting stuff that brings in the big boys. Well they don't need to stop with Link and Mario, but they need to do other, very different, hard core things. That's if they ever want to capture and keep a >50 million fanbase for their home consoles. If they are happy with sub 50 million unit sales in home consoles with the occasional blip when they come out with a neat hardware gimmick then by all means stick with Link and Mario as your premier franchises.

But maybe home consoles as we know them only have 2, maybe 3, generations left in them. And perhaps Nintendo needs to start strategising about a post-console world.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

They have a real opportunity to blindside Microsoft and Sony around 2016 with a beastly system. Doubt it will happen though. Iwata doesn't have the balls to take them on 'directly'.

oniyide said:
Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

last gen sold the most consoles if combining all major brands and I really doubt the core market is anywhere near that size.

The most logical explanation I can think of is that the market temporarily expanded because it was wow'd by the wii but eventually lost interest. Maybe for a brief period of time, gaming was considered 'cool' because of the wii and socially acceptable for more people? (honestly cant see a family sitting around a tv playing GTA or battlefield)

This makes sense because traditionally nintendo home consoles havent sold anywhere near 100m units, while the wii was able to do it alongside the successfull xbox 360 and PS3 which are both on 80m units.

Again, I just dont think the market is that big. I dont know where they all went, but evidently the vast majority dont seem to be coming back for the wii U, hence my reply that the market has abandoned them.

its called the blue ocean, the blue ocean isnt around anymore, judging by the lower sales of blue ocean type software and HW but some people still are in denial. They went to the phones and tablets or they just stopped playing games, period. Pick your poison.

The blue ocean is *always* around. The point of it is that nobody is hunting there.

iOS and android is

That makes iOS and Android the red ocean. You have to read at least a summary of the source material here.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.