By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo do what Sony did next-gen?

Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:
Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:

its called the blue ocean, the blue ocean isnt around anymore, judging by the lower sales of blue ocean type software and HW but some people still are in denial. They went to the phones and tablets or they just stopped playing games, period. Pick your poison.

The blue ocean is *always* around. The point of it is that nobody is hunting there.

iOS and android is

That makes iOS and Android the red ocean. You have to read at least a summary of the source material here.

The first iPhone followed the blue ocean strategy. It brought multitouch and a user interface working smoothly without (most) hardware buttons to the table and combined phone, MP3-player and PDA.

The first iPad also followed the blue ocean strategy. The only tablets before that were heavy, clunky and without a multitouch user interface.

Even iTunes was a blue ocean strategy: the first legal way to easily download songs, with 30-second-previews and the option between buying whole albums or individual songs.

Android on the other hand...

Around the Network
DucksUnlimited said:
The Gamecube was a "powerful hardware console at an attractive price."

The right moves for Sony =/= the right moves for Nintendo.

Its not as simple as that. The gamecube arrived a year after the ps2, had inferior 3rd party support  and no DVD drive.

The equivalent would be the ps4 launching a year after the Xbox One, without bluray and with no hope of Final fantasy or GTA appearing on the system.

prayformojo said:
Trunkin said:
prayformojo said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Why I have to correct statments like yours over and over again is beyond me. The only thing the Gamecube shared with MS and Sony was the power. The controller was not standard, being that it only had one analog stick and a tiny little plastic nub. The media was not a standard DVD. The console was purple with a handle and it didn't push online gameplay AT ALL.

Nitnendo hasn't released a console that uses intdustry standards since the SNES. Ironically, that was the last sucessful "hardcore" console they released. That's what people mean when they say "pull a Sony". They mean, release something like a PS4, only with Nintendo games.

You sound like you've never held a GC controller before. It was pretty standard. The shape of the nub didn't detract from it's useablility in any substantial way. It's main drawbacks were it's lack of an L bumper and clickable joysticks, but even those could be worked around. Hell, I didn't even know the PS2 had clickable analogs until well after the gen was over.

TBH I don't think miniDVDs were too much of an issue either, as devs could always use multiple discs if they absolutely had to. Honestly, I think the GC's main issue was Nintendo's self important, stuck up, "quality over quantity" attitude when it came to third party devs and multiplats. The way I see it, that's what they've been paying for since the N64 days.

I got a Gamecube at launch. That little nub would NOT have worked for FPS, as evident by the fact that even Prime 1,2 didn't even use it. The one game that did, Geist, controlled like ass (I owned it). Not only was it too small, it didn't even have the same degree of motion. That's why it was used for camera movement.

Everything I said (media, lack of second full size analog stick, color, no online play/support) is the reason is bombed. It was the odd ball of the three.

It worked just perfectly.  The reason Prime didn't use it was because that wasn't really a FPS.  It was an adventure game from the first-person perspective.

James Bond 007: Nightfire, TimeSplitters 2, and XIII all played great on the Gamecube controller.  There were plenty of others, but I am only speaking for the FPS I personally played.

If you are looking for third-person shooters, those played great as well.  Some examples would be Freedom Fighters, Gun, Resident Evil 4, and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

no, they would need 3rd parties for that, and I think they won't be able to let the casual dollars go

Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:
Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

last gen sold the most consoles if combining all major brands and I really doubt the core market is anywhere near that size.

The most logical explanation I can think of is that the market temporarily expanded because it was wow'd by the wii but eventually lost interest. Maybe for a brief period of time, gaming was considered 'cool' because of the wii and socially acceptable for more people? (honestly cant see a family sitting around a tv playing GTA or battlefield)

This makes sense because traditionally nintendo home consoles havent sold anywhere near 100m units, while the wii was able to do it alongside the successfull xbox 360 and PS3 which are both on 80m units.

Again, I just dont think the market is that big. I dont know where they all went, but evidently the vast majority dont seem to be coming back for the wii U, hence my reply that the market has abandoned them.

its called the blue ocean, the blue ocean isnt around anymore, judging by the lower sales of blue ocean type software and HW but some people still are in denial. They went to the phones and tablets or they just stopped playing games, period. Pick your poison.

The blue ocean is *always* around. The point of it is that nobody is hunting there.

iOS and android is

That makes iOS and Android the red ocean. You have to read at least a summary of the source material here.

he's in denial. He still believes there are people waiting in the wings to buy Wii U from the blue ocean

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:
Mr Khan said:

iOS and android is

he's in denial. He still believes there are people waiting in the wings to buy Wii U from the blue ocean

? Who is in denial. Me?

The issue i'm taking is that you're running off with the terminology and completely misusing it. The concept of the blue ocean is a market that is underserved or totally untapped. Markets that have more than one major competitor are, by definition, red ocean markets. Hence, the blue ocean is not one specific thing, and it is accessible to any business in any industry at any time (though it is by no means easy to do so)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Miguel_Zorro said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Look at it.  The Gamecube looked ridiculous.  I'd be embarrassed to have that thing in my house.  It was the first Nintendo console that I didn't buy. Nintendo needs to get serious.

I don't think hardware appearance determine most peoples' choice in consoles.

Not sure but I do sense a huge change of mangement comibg to Nintendo soon. Poeple are still suggestion for Mr. Iwata to leave the CEO position and demand change soon. Pay cuts hit employers by the end of this month, soon people being let go. Things get serious once people start losing their jobs.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

DucksUnlimited said:
Miguel_Zorro said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Look at it.  The Gamecube looked ridiculous.  I'd be embarrassed to have that thing in my house.  It was the first Nintendo console that I didn't buy. Nintendo needs to get serious.

I don't think hardware appearance determine most peoples' choice in consoles.

Its was the choice of a small 1.2 gb disc and lack of DVD what killed it. Other then that, the Gamecube was a kickass console.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Kinda hard for Nintendo to do what Sony did because that all depends on if their primary competition blatantly shoots themselves in the foot. If M$ never announced their plans for Xbone being always online with Kinect required and instead released the console at $399 alongside PS4, this discussion would be moot.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.