By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo do what Sony did next-gen?

Miguel_Zorro said:
DucksUnlimited said:
The Gamecube was a "powerful hardware console at an attractive price."

The right moves for Sony =/= the right moves for Nintendo.

Look at it.  The Gamecube looked ridiculous.  I'd be embarrassed to have that thing in my house.  It was the first Nintendo console that I didn't buy. Nintendo needs to get serious.

The best thing is Nintendo's reasoning for the GC's small design, lunchbox handle and all, was because they said space in Japanese homes was at a premium, therefore they wanted their console to take up as little space as possible.  This reasoning was later tweaked with the Wii and Wii U saying they were targeting low power consumption in addition to being spacially efficient.

Meanshile, Sony put out two beasts over the past couple of gens with the PS2 and PS3 phat, but that didn't seem to deter folks over in the homeland from purchasing them.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
Suke said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Miguel_Zorro said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Look at it.  The Gamecube looked ridiculous.  I'd be embarrassed to have that thing in my house.  It was the first Nintendo console that I didn't buy. Nintendo needs to get serious.

I don't think hardware appearance determine most peoples' choice in consoles.

Its was the choice of a small 1.2 gb disc and lack of DVD what killed it. Other then that, the Gamecube was a kickass console.

My favorite console of all time

Miguel_Zorro said:
DucksUnlimited said:

It does for the grown-ups.

Then clearly not a lot of adults bought the PS3, because the general consensus is that it looked stupid.

As long as Sony doesn't pull another PS3 with the people will buy our product because we're Sony attitude, Nintendo may never lead home console sales again.

The platinum silver GameCube which I owned honestly looked really cool, but alas the damage had been done by then I suppose.

People don't want game consoles that look like children's toys.

Nintendo did make the very slick looking Wii though afterwards ... the black Wii is one of the nicer looking consoles ever made IMO.

Generally speaking people don't care that much about console appearance, but they don't want something that stands out too much either. "Bland/non-descript" seems to be what people are OK with, lol. 

Around the Network

no well unless iwata and reggie get fired and get some open minded people there and change there terms for developers especially the one about religion if the next bioshock has something like that then it won't be on nintendos console

Miguel_Zorro said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Miguel_Zorro said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Then clearly not a lot of adults bought the PS3, because the general consensus is that it looked stupid.

I think you live in a parallel universe where people have bad taste.  The PS3 looks good.  It has a better appearance than most consoles in history, and it's miles ahead of the children's lunch box that you call the Game Cube.  

Then you clearly didn't see the multitude of pictures and threads mocking the PS3's appearance in the first few years of the PS3's life like the one I posted.

Either way, if you think any significant portion of people buy a gaming console for anything other than the games, it's more than obvious who is living in a parallel universe here.

DucksUnlimited said:

Thats what i dont understand... they tried doing powerful hardware at 99$ you could not beat the gamecube but for some reason the ps2 won.

now everyones saying that the reason nintendo is doing bad is because of hardware.. when clearly its not. its the damn gimmicks

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Miguel_Zorro said:
DucksUnlimited said:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Miguel_Zorro said:
DucksUnlimited said:

you know they come in platinum and black right? why would an adult care about the appearance of something that's primary goal is to play games? your not even going to be looking at the thing most of the time. Did you care what people thought that much?