By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo do what Sony did next-gen?

oniyide said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

last gen sold the most consoles if combining all major brands and I really doubt the core market is anywhere near that size.

The most logical explanation I can think of is that the market temporarily expanded because it was wow'd by the wii but eventually lost interest. Maybe for a brief period of time, gaming was considered 'cool' because of the wii and socially acceptable for more people? (honestly cant see a family sitting around a tv playing GTA or battlefield)

This makes sense because traditionally nintendo home consoles havent sold anywhere near 100m units, while the wii was able to do it alongside the successfull xbox 360 and PS3 which are both on 80m units.

Again, I just dont think the market is that big. I dont know where they all went, but evidently the vast majority dont seem to be coming back for the wii U, hence my reply that the market has abandoned them.

its called the blue ocean, the blue ocean isnt around anymore, judging by the lower sales of blue ocean type software and HW but some people still are in denial. They went to the phones and tablets or they just stopped playing games, period. Pick your poison.

The blue ocean is *always* around. The point of it is that nobody is hunting there.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Cobretti2 said:
They can't do a PS4 next gen for two reasons.

1. No 3rd party support
2. Most people don't seem to value a Nintendo system for more than $250. So how are they going to pack PS4 parts in for that price from the start and make money?

damn i didnt even think about that, thats really messed up. So are people naturally expecting it to be lower value?

Well I think they have been conditioned to it by Nintendo. It would be hard to justify them going up to say $400-$500 at launch even if it had alll the media player funcitons like the competition. 

The thinkg that shits me about consoles in general is that people value them less then their mobile phones (and mobiles even cost more), yet peopel change them every year (granted they do upgrade and sell the old).  Imagine how much better consoles would have been if people accepted a $800 norm price for consoles. 

Shadow1980 said:
DucksUnlimited said:

I think a large portion of the third party issue is due to demographics though. Hence why third party games were more prevelant and generally sold better on the Xbox than the Cube, despite similar power/ install bases.

I think format issues were perhaps a more likely reason. Just like how third parties first started leaving Nintendo due to the latter's insistence on sticking with carts in the fifth generation, Nintendo's proprietary miniDVD-based format, which could hold only a third as much data as a single-layer DVD, didn't win them back anybody else. If Nintendo had switched to CDs with the N64 and used ordinary DVDs for the GC, both systems likely would have been able to compete favorably with Sony as they would have never lost so much third-party support.

That would have had some influence on the quantity of third party game, certainly, but I still don't think it would have ultimately made that much of a difference since a lot of the third party games that were on the system sold poorly anyway.

Zero999 said:
C0LINx said:

Will Nintendo make all the right moves and side with the gamers after the Wii U. Will they make a powerful hardware console at an attractive price?

I don't understand, sony didn't make any of those things, except for the powerfull hardware, wich is the most irrelevant part for gaming (especially now).

Have you been living under a rock? Sony listened to the gamers this time around. They refused to incorporate all that DRM garbage, didn't make the system always online, changed the controller, got rid of the Cell, made the PS4 easier to develop 4, charged a reasonable price for powerful hardware, and didn't force a camera down our throats. Face the facts Zero, Sony's making a lot of right calls this gen. Don't let your hatred of them blind you. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

They would firstly need to catch up from the far distance in most aspects and offer at the same time new things to get the majority of people interested in Nintendo again.
At the same time Sony and Microsoft will move forward too especially cause Sony already was in such a weird situation for them(and probably won't slack off again) and Microsoft just pulled back before they slaughtered themself early on.They never ever will take their success for granted again.
Things like their devs not knowing XboxLive and PSN and their relationships with 3rd Party got even worse over the years aren't easy to make forgotten.People and Developers feels safe with Sony/Microsoft and their strategy.

Around the Network
DucksUnlimited said:
The Gamecube was a "powerful hardware console at an attractive price."

The right moves for Sony =/= the right moves for Nintendo.

Why I have to correct statments like yours over and over again is beyond me. The only thing the Gamecube shared with MS and Sony was the power. The controller was not standard, being that it only had one analog stick and a tiny little plastic nub. The media was not a standard DVD. The console was purple with a handle and it didn't push online gameplay AT ALL.

Nitnendo hasn't released a console that uses intdustry standards since the SNES. Ironically, that was the last sucessful "hardcore" console they released. That's what people mean when they say "pull a Sony". They mean, release something like a PS4, only with Nintendo games.

Fusioncode said:

Have you been living under a rock? Sony listened to the gamers this time around. They refused to incorporate all that DRM garbage, didn't make the system always online, changed the controller, got rid of the Cell, made the PS4 easier to develop 4, charged a reasonable price for powerful hardware, and didn't force a camera down our throats. Face the facts Zero, Sony's making a lot of right calls this gen. Don't let your hatred of them blind you. 

expensive device with few games, most of wich are cross gen multiplats and paid online. lot's of wrong calls.

Zero999 said:
Fusioncode said:

expensive device with few games, most of wich are cross gen multiplats and paid online. lot's of wrong calls.

Expensive? I think it's reasonably priced, Sony's probably making a loss on it. And of course it doesn't have that many games! It just came out! The WiiU didn't get a decent library until a year after launch. PS4's got Infamous, Transistor, Uncharted, Rime, Shadow of the Beast, and Driveclub all coming this year. They also have new indie titles releasing every month. The paid online is annoying but PS+ is a great service and I'll happily continue paying it. 

Fusioncode said:
Zero999 said:

Expensive? I think it's reasonably priced, Sony's probably making a loss on it. And of course it doesn't have that many games! It just came out! The WiiU didn't get a decent library until a year after launch. PS4's got Infamous, Transistor, Uncharted, Rime, Shadow of the Beast, and Driveclub all coming this year. They also have new indie titles releasing every month. The paid online is annoying but PS+ is a great service and I'll happily continue paying it. 

it's 400 dollars, it's expensive. this isn't a dsicussion about wii u but now that you mentioned, it will take at least a year for ps4 to (maybe) have a decent library too.

Zero999 said:
Fusioncode said:
Zero999 said:

it's 400 dollars, it's expensive. this isn't a dsicussion about wii u but now that you mentioned, it will take at least a year for ps4 to (maybe) have a decent library too.

I used the WiiU as a example to prove my point that no system is going to have a massive library just a couple months after launch.