By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo do what Sony did next-gen?

They should have done VR. I'm serious. This is literally the perfect time to have done that. THAT would have captured the market. The Nintendo Dreambox or something.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Mr Khan said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Mr Khan said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Its so funny how Sony and Microsoft s "unsustainable business models" have given them a future and how Nintendo's suddenly looking for an escape route. Life.

Because Nintendo abandoned what made the Wii successful, and the Sony/MS model is still unsustainable.

Or that the market that made the wii successful abandoned nintendo?

Again, i highly doubt this, especially on the Wii side which promoted local multiplayer and more physically interactive games. Phones aren't taking that away (unlike, say, from handhelds), and Kinect was not nearly so popular as to explain total flight. Reasoning would need to be provided to explain why a vast, diverse group of customers suddenly gained a hive mind.

last gen sold the most consoles if combining all major brands and I really doubt the core market is anywhere near that size.

The most logical explanation I can think of is that the market temporarily expanded because it was wow'd by the wii but eventually lost interest. Maybe for a brief period of time, gaming was considered 'cool' because of the wii and socially acceptable for more people? (honestly cant see a family sitting around a tv playing GTA or battlefield)

This makes sense because traditionally nintendo home consoles havent sold anywhere near 100m units, while the wii was able to do it alongside the successfull xbox 360 and PS3 which are both on 80m units.

Again, I just dont think the market is that big. I dont know where they all went, but evidently the vast majority dont seem to be coming back for the wii U, hence my reply that the market has abandoned them.

its called the blue ocean, the blue ocean isnt around anymore, judging by the lower sales of blue ocean type software and HW but some people still are in denial. They went to the phones and tablets or they just stopped playing games, period. Pick your poison.

I have these two cousins. The older a guy and the younger a girl. He had a PSOne towards the end of the 5th gen with a few titles. He then got a PS2 very early in the 6th generation, and by the time it was ending he had raked up quite a collection (20+ games). His (much younger) sister got a Wii + WiiFit bundle around 2009. Fast forward to today and thats all she has, Im trying to buy the Wiimote off her on the cheap >_>. She also has a DS, but only with Mario. Logically, Id bet on gamers like her brother rather than "gamers" like her.

People like her wont get the Wii U, or 3Ds, or whatever Nintendo decides to throw out next. I know thats just 2 people I know but it feels like thats the general state of affairs right now. The people who got a Wii simply dont give a damn anymore. The blue ocean strategy probably wont work again. They can try but I feel they will just fall flat on their face, literally if they chose VR.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Cobretti2 said:
They can't do a PS4 next gen for two reasons.

1. No 3rd party support
2. Most people don't seem to value a Nintendo system for more than $250. So how are they going to pack PS4 parts in for that price from the start and make money?

damn i didnt even think about that, thats really messed up. So are people naturally expecting it to be lower value?

spemanig said:
They should have done VR. I'm serious. This is literally the perfect time to have done that. THAT would have captured the market. The Nintendo Dreambox or something.

yeah because that would not have been expensive at all.

SubiyaCryolite said:
oniyide said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Mr Khan said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Mr Khan said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Its so funny how Sony and Microsoft s "unsustainable business models" have given them a future and how Nintendo's suddenly looking for an escape route. Life.

Because Nintendo abandoned what made the Wii successful, and the Sony/MS model is still unsustainable.

Or that the market that made the wii successful abandoned nintendo?

Again, i highly doubt this, especially on the Wii side which promoted local multiplayer and more physically interactive games. Phones aren't taking that away (unlike, say, from handhelds), and Kinect was not nearly so popular as to explain total flight. Reasoning would need to be provided to explain why a vast, diverse group of customers suddenly gained a hive mind.

last gen sold the most consoles if combining all major brands and I really doubt the core market is anywhere near that size.

The most logical explanation I can think of is that the market temporarily expanded because it was wow'd by the wii but eventually lost interest. Maybe for a brief period of time, gaming was considered 'cool' because of the wii and socially acceptable for more people? (honestly cant see a family sitting around a tv playing GTA or battlefield)

This makes sense because traditionally nintendo home consoles havent sold anywhere near 100m units, while the wii was able to do it alongside the successfull xbox 360 and PS3 which are both on 80m units.

Again, I just dont think the market is that big. I dont know where they all went, but evidently the vast majority dont seem to be coming back for the wii U, hence my reply that the market has abandoned them.

its called the blue ocean, the blue ocean isnt around anymore, judging by the lower sales of blue ocean type software and HW but some people still are in denial. They went to the phones and tablets or they just stopped playing games, period. Pick your poison.

I have these two cousins. The older a guy and the younger a girl. He had a PSOne towards the end of the 5th gen with a few titles. He then got a PS2 very early in the 6th generation, and by the time it was ending he had raked up quite a collection (20+ games). His (much younger) sister got a Wii + WiiFit bundle around 2009. Fast forward to today and thats all she has, Im trying to buy the Wiimote off her on the cheap >_>. She also has a DS, but only with Mario. Logically, Id bet on gamers like her brother rather than "gamers" like her.

People like her wont get the Wii U, or 3Ds, or whatever Nintendo decides to throw out next. I know thats just 2 people I know but it feels like thats the general state of affairs right now. The people who got a Wii simply dont give a damn anymore. The blue ocean strategy probably wont work again. They can try but I feel they will just fall flat on their face, literally if they chose VR.

Thats exactly right, thats why Sony and MS are having the success they are having now, and why I always felt that whole mostly cater to the Wii demograph was never going to last long. They are not gamers, period. These arent the people buying SW all year round.

its not just two people you can see it on the charts. They need something BRAND new

Around the Network
oniyide said:
spemanig said:

No. This isn't the oculus rift. Two 720p monitors and some moderately beefy hardware with the Wii Remotes or a redesign of them. Bundle it with a 5 simulation games like the five sports games of the Wii. One haunted house horror game, one driving game, one roller coaster game, one Space travel game, and one exotic pet game. Call the game Impossible Simulator. Have the big first party launch game be a 1st person Metroid game and the standart 2D Mario. There you have it. It's relatable, it's understandable, it's new, it's desirable, and it's affordable. Still within console price range, but it would have way more selling power than the Wii U.

"Side with the gamers?" I don't think it's good for the gamers for all three consoles to have nearly identical hardware and be around the same price. I don't want to pay extra for a massive HDD I'll never use and if I want to buy really powerful hardware I'll get a PC.

If you want to call me a gamer, you may; if you don't, I won't care. Nintendo makes appropriate hardware for me... usually. The Wii U and 3DS launch prices were a little steep, and I bought neither at launch.

Short answer: Nope.

They'll make a tablet that has a home TV dock for home play + portable play. They won't compete directly with Sony/MS because there's no room in that market left anymore. 

Maybe they'll introduce like a VR home console in 2016 or something if they are really sold on that idea, though I'm not sure what Nintendo's upper brass thinks of mom coming home to find her little Billy with a giant headset over his face staring off into space for hours on end. 

spemanig said:
oniyide said:
spemanig said:

No. This isn't the oculus rift. Two 720p monitors and some moderately beefy hardware with the Wii Remotes or a redesign of them. Bundle it with a 5 simulation games like the five sports games of the Wii. One haunted house horror game, one driving game, one roller coaster game, one Space travel game, and one exotic pet game. Call the game Impossible Simulator. Have the big first party launch game be a 1st person Metroid game and the standart 2D Mario. There you have it. It's relatable, it's understandable, it's new, it's desirable, and it's affordable. Still within console price range, but it would have way more selling power than the Wii U.

thats not VR, thats just souped up motion control tech. Not even close to VR. and you think those monitors will be cheap.

C0LINx said:

Will Nintendo make all the right moves and side with the gamers after the Wii U. Will they make a powerful hardware console at an attractive price?

I don't understand, sony didn't make any of those things, except for the powerfull hardware, wich is the most irrelevant part for gaming (especially now).