By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Don't Want Super Mario Galaxy 3

Tagged games:

I don't think SMG2 was bad, it was just as good as the first. Only thing is that the first one was revolutionary while the second, well, was not. I've completed it two times as of now.

But for the next "true" 3D Mario, I don't necessarily want a Galaxy 3. All I want is a Mario game with 120 stars. And hopefully an overworld that is fun to explore.

EDIT: Hopefully the team will learn from the Zelda team that you don't need super linearity or handholding in every game.

Yep.

Around the Network

FINALLY! I'm so glad someone agrees. Mario Galaxy 2 was the most disappointing Mario game I've ever played. It seriously pisses me off that Nintendo made it. The story was literally a dumbed down retelling of the first game for the most part, it revisted a lot of ideas from the first game, and in general just felt like a more linear, watered down version of the first game. That's the opposite of what a 3D Mario title should be, but then I guess it's what I should have expected just by looking at the title of the game, the same as the last game, but with a 2 on the end.

Seriously, every game in the mainline 3D console Mario franchise has been revolutionary except this one. Super Mario 64 created the hubworld and brought Mario to 3D. Super Mario Sunshine had unique mechanics provided by F.L.U.D.D. and showed that Mario games could provide variety in the levels without resorting to "grass world, desert world, water world, lava world, ice world, etc.", not to mention it actually had somewhat of a story aside from "the princess is gone, go through levels and you'll find her eventually." Rather than go through the Mushroom Kingdom again breaking bricks and stomping enemies, you were actually helping to fix the destruction Bowser caused and got to see the effects of your help. Then Super Mario Galaxy came and made you rethink platforming altogether with its gravity mechanics, and allowed for limitless level variety, creating all sorts of bizarre worlds. It also had a vaguely interesting story in terms of discovering Rosalina's past, bringing an interesting new character to the franchise that deserves all the love she gets from fans.

Then Galaxy 2 comes along, and it's exactly what the title says, more of Galaxy. Except now the levels are more linear, simpler, and the story is a dumbed down version of the last one, as if a Mario game needed its story dumbed down. The hub world was completely unecessary, providing nothing more than a place to rest between levels. Seriously the most uninteresting and pointless hub world in the series. Where as every 3D Mario before it was a delight to complete 100%, this was a chore, no two ways about it. I HATE it. I'll acknowledge that it's a good game, I'll even acknowledge they made better use of the gravity mechanics at times. But I hate that this is a separate Mario game. They could have released the levels individually as DLC for Galaxy 1 and I wouldn't have hated it. That would've been awesome and would've made me buy it all as it came out, instead of borrowing it from a friend after the Wii U was already out. Imagine if they'd released a bunch of level packs each containing a world worth of levels, and it was all accessible from the hub world of Galaxy 1? How cool would that have been? I dunno, I still think I would've been pissed at how linear the levels are, but I would've excused it because Nintendo hadn't tried to pass it off as the next mainline 3D Mario.

Seriously, if Nintendo makes Super Mario Galaxy 3, I will never forgive them. I'll ignore the damn thing and hope that it flops. The next game needs to be a completely fresh Mario game with a new theme, new mechanics, and new worlds to explore. It should be as revolutionary as its predecessors, and Super Mario Galaxy 3 could never accomplish something like that.

I don't want Galaxy 3 either but not because I didn't like 2, it was phenomenal. Super Mario 3D is absolutely fantastic too. I just think EAD should be left to their devices and they'll deliver.

Some people say Galaxy 2 isn't as good as 1 but I think that's largely because it lacked the freshness of the first, not because it was actually, in any significant way, inferior. I think wishing for a 'true' sequel to Mario 64 is just begging for the same problem. I know Mario 64 was a long time ago but I don't know that another game can capture 'that' particular feeling again.

Too bad. Sequels to Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Twilight Princess, and Super Smash Bros Brawl are all going to come out sooner or later. Mwahahahahahahahaha.

i want a mario 64 type game.
full ability to roam.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Around the Network

OP is an insane person.

kekrot said:

I don't think SMG2 was bad, it was just as good as the first. Only thing is that the first one was revolutionary while the second, well, was not. I've completed it two times as of now.

But for the next "true" 3D Mario, I don't necessarily want a Galaxy 3. All I want is a Mario game with 120 stars. And hopefully an overworld that is fun to explore.

EDIT: Hopefully the team will learn from the Zelda team that you don't need super linearity or handholding in every game.

What as "revolutionary" about Galaxy? It didn't reinvent the wheel like SM64. Nothing in it's mechanics was new. Gravity play had been done before in many of platformers, Rachet and Clank for one. It didn't change the industry like SMB and SM64 etc. Those are definition of revolutionary because it changed the entire industry. 

Galaxy was great, but revolutionary? I don't see it.

prayformojo said:
kekrot said:

What as "revolutionary" about Galaxy? It didn't reinvent the wheel like SM64. Nothing in it's mechanics was new. Gravity play had been done before in many of platformers, Rachet and Clank for one. It didn't change the industry like SMB and SM64 etc. Those are definition of revolutionary because it changed the entire industry. 

Galaxy was great, but revolutionary? I don't see it.

Maybe I'm overestimating Galaxy a little, but it sure looked and was fresh when it came out. To the world it looked amazing, yes some games with some small gravity aspect had been released before, but you mentioned Ratchet and Clank which is a bad example since it was limited to some small unimportant stuff like going two metres up on a reactor or another tower of that kind. That felt more on rails since you couldn't jump and stuff. Galaxy took it to a whole new level, and if we go by your logic Super Mario 64 isn't any revolutionary either since 3D platformers existed before even if they sucked in comparison.

Of course Galaxy didn't anything new in terms of open worlds which was new in SM64. So I fully agree with you that SM64 is much, much more revolutionary than Galaxy. But the reason that Galaxy didn't change anything in the industry is the fact that nobody but Nintendo makes platformers nowadays. At least they don't try much.

Another thing, while Wii Sports is much more revolutionary than Galaxy with its accessible design, I still think Galaxy was revolutionary in terms of the scope of the controls. Super Mario 64 was just much more revolutionary.

Yep.

xJbownagex said:

[...]it was too linear for a "true 3D mario"[...]

I don't understand how this can be a complaint of Galaxy 2, but not Galaxy 1.  Galaxy 1 was a 3D Mario game designed to be as much like the 2D games as possible.  It was all about getting from point A to point B.  Very little exploration involved.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Whatever Tokyo EAD do with the next Mario, it will be great regardless. I have learn not to doubt and that crows taste horrible.