By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Don't Want Super Mario Galaxy 3

Tagged games:

To me Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are the absolute best Mario games of all time. The original game is better than the sequal though. I would love to see a third instalment in the series. However, I believe we will just see a spiritual sequal, borrowing parts of the game play mechanics from the Galaxy series, but with a new title attached to it. What name you might ask?

SUPER MARIO U-NIVERSE!! :)

Expect a release sometime in Q3 or Q4 2015...hehe

Around the Network
xJbownagex said:

As much as I want a true 3D mario title, the last thing I want it to be is Galaxy 3.

Super Mario Galaxy is one of the greatest and most well designed games of the 7th generation. The amount of creativity shown in the game is almost mind blowing. I've beaten the game atleast 5+ times. But, I view Galaxy as it's own standalone masterpiece, similar to games like Metroid Prime, I always felt that the game didn't really need a sequel. But it got one.

Galaxy 2 wasn't a game I owned until 2013 when it dropped to $30. It was a major disappointment, in fact I'd go as far to say that it was my biggest disappointment of Gen 7 aside from Twilight Princess and Super Smash Bros Brawl. It just felt, for lack of a better word, shittier.

The condensed overworld was unexciting, the Yoshi mechanic I found to be dull, it was too linear for a "true 3D mario", the levels we're too easy, and the power ups we're just meh. It's not at bad game by any means, it's just "shittier" than the original Galaxy.

If Galaxy 2 was like this, I can only imagine what a Galaxy 3 would be like. I would much rather have a game in the same vain as Super Mario 64 or the original Galaxy. Unfortunetly, Galaxy 3 has sort of kind of already been confirmed by the creator who said that they weren't abandoning the Galaxy formula. I can only hope that they make use of the Wii U's capabilities and make the scale of the levels and the overworld huge. If it isn't I'll just keep playing 3D World to be honest.

You dont want a 3D mario game. You want a Mario RPG

I want Nintendo to come up with a fully open world Mario game concept. One that has no "levels". Just a big map that you explore (maybe something like starting from Mushroom Kingdom, and you make your way to Bowser's keep.). Unlocking new parts when you get new power-ups or achieve certain objectives.

TK14 said:
I'm not crazy about Galaxy 2 either…it felt like a "level expansion pack" more than a true new game. Sure it was a more refined version of the gameplay and level design mechanics from Galaxy…but I felt like it didn't have the heart that Galaxy had. I also prefer Galaxy's hub world, OST, and "story" to Galaxy 2. That being said...I can acknowledge that both Galaxy games are closer to the "core" of Mario gameplay in terms of having a definite goal and direction…and I can see why Nintendo was drawn to that as it is closer to 2D Mario, just as 3D Land/World are closer to 2D Mario in design as well. However…I was put off by the linearity in both. Galaxy 1 was fine…it was new and fresh and something different at the time. But what I really want is another sandbox, open-world, NON-linear Mario game…one about exploration…a true sequel or spiritual successor to Super Mario 64. Unfortunately, I don't get the sense that Nintendo thinks that's worth pursuing anymore as they don't seem to consider that style to truly be the "essence" of Mario. To Nintendo, Mario seems to imply stricter linearity…and more focused gameplay. Which is understandable, but it's disappointing to fans like me who consider Super Mario 64 one of the greatest and most exciting games of all time.

I still believe they'll make a game called Super Mario Universe…as the title writes itself and they could make it a grander Galaxy successor…keep some of the gravity and planet mechanics and some of the linearity from the Galaxies…but I would hope they'd also make some larger environments that are more open to explore. The Galaxies did have a few levels that had some room to move around…like the Honey Queen bee level…but those were few and far between. Plus, Galaxy never let you move backwards…once you launched yourself forward to a new section of the stage, most of the time you couldn't go back. I just didn't like the lack of freedom…and the lack of open area to run around and explore. Let 2D Mario or the 3D Land/World hybrid exist for the linear design of Mario, but I think it's time for them to go back to Super Mario 64 and create a proper successor to it. (I didn't like Sunshine, so I don't consider that a proper successor, sorry :p)

I think you have it backwards. The Mario Galaxy games have WAY more side paths and secrets than Mario 64 did. Mario 64 was also overall a much smaller game, it can be comfortably finished in less than a quarter of the time that it takes to finish Mario Galaxy 2.

Mario 64 may have been good at the time, but I think of it more as a prototype for the Mario Galaxy games that were to come in the future. They're just so much more polished and perfect, with much more creative platforming. In othwer words, the Mario Galaxy franchise is what Mario 64 was leading towards; it is the realization of what 3D Mario should be. If you look at Mario 3D World, while it is good, it is obviously lacking without the gravity mechanics and possibilities available to the galaxy setting; it should have been Mario Galaxy 3, not Super Mario World 3D.

Like what looks like the majority of people here, I consider Mario Galaxy 2 to be the greatest platformer ever made. I wouldn't stop there though, I would also consider it the greatest Nintendo game ever made, and perhaps even the greatest game currently existing. I can't think of any other game so execellently crafted.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

theRepublic said:
xJbownagex said:

[...]it was too linear for a "true 3D mario"[...]

I don't understand how this can be a complaint of Galaxy 2, but not Galaxy 1.  Galaxy 1 was a 3D Mario game designed to be as much like the 2D games as possible.  It was all about getting from point A to point B.  Very little exploration involved.

It was more linear than other 3D titles, but it wasn't "linear."

There were plenty of levels in Galaxy that required you to explore, whether it be looking for launch star shards, silver stars, to find a secret star, etc. In Galaxy 2, the levels are pretty much all linear and more in the style of "Point A to Point B"

Around the Network
Hynad said:

I want Nintendo to come up with a fully open world Mario game concept. One that has no "levels". Just a big map that you explore (maybe something like starting from Mushroom Kingdom, and you make your way to Bowser's keep.). Unlocking new parts when you get new power-ups or achieve certain objectives.

This. I've dreamed of this since the Wii U's launch. Sort of like a mix between the Zelda and Mario formula, except Mario obviously has platforming elements and stars to collect, etc.

I'd love a big open world like Mario 64 in the next 3d Mario as well as some fresh art design, but as long as the gameplay is stellar it's hard to get a platforming fix anywhere else these days (I love ND platformers but they seem determined never to make one again).

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

xJbownagex said:
Hynad said:

This. I've dreamed of this since the Wii U's launch. Sort of like a mix between the Zelda and Mario formula, except Mario obviously has platforming elements and stars to collect, etc.

Thats Metroid.

Basically you want Starfox Adventures.

Jumpin said:
TK14 said:
I'm not crazy about Galaxy 2 either…it felt like a "level expansion pack" more than a true new game. Sure it was a more refined version of the gameplay and level design mechanics from Galaxy…but I felt like it didn't have the heart that Galaxy had. I also prefer Galaxy's hub world, OST, and "story" to Galaxy 2. That being said...I can acknowledge that both Galaxy games are closer to the "core" of Mario gameplay in terms of having a definite goal and direction…and I can see why Nintendo was drawn to that as it is closer to 2D Mario, just as 3D Land/World are closer to 2D Mario in design as well. However…I was put off by the linearity in both. Galaxy 1 was fine…it was new and fresh and something different at the time. But what I really want is another sandbox, open-world, NON-linear Mario game…one about exploration…a true sequel or spiritual successor to Super Mario 64. Unfortunately, I don't get the sense that Nintendo thinks that's worth pursuing anymore as they don't seem to consider that style to truly be the "essence" of Mario. To Nintendo, Mario seems to imply stricter linearity…and more focused gameplay. Which is understandable, but it's disappointing to fans like me who consider Super Mario 64 one of the greatest and most exciting games of all time.

I still believe they'll make a game called Super Mario Universe…as the title writes itself and they could make it a grander Galaxy successor…keep some of the gravity and planet mechanics and some of the linearity from the Galaxies…but I would hope they'd also make some larger environments that are more open to explore. The Galaxies did have a few levels that had some room to move around…like the Honey Queen bee level…but those were few and far between. Plus, Galaxy never let you move backwards…once you launched yourself forward to a new section of the stage, most of the time you couldn't go back. I just didn't like the lack of freedom…and the lack of open area to run around and explore. Let 2D Mario or the 3D Land/World hybrid exist for the linear design of Mario, but I think it's time for them to go back to Super Mario 64 and create a proper successor to it. (I didn't like Sunshine, so I don't consider that a proper successor, sorry :p)

I think you have it backwards. The Mario Galaxy games have WAY more side paths and secrets than Mario 64 did. Mario 64 was also overall a much smaller game, it can be comfortably finished in less than a quarter of the time that it takes to finish Mario Galaxy 2.

Mario 64 may have been good at the time, but I think of it more as a prototype for the Mario Galaxy games that were to come in the future. They're just so much more polished and perfect, with much more creative platforming. In othwer words, the Mario Galaxy franchise is what Mario 64 was leading towards; it is the realization of what 3D Mario should be. If you look at Mario 3D World, while it is good, it is obviously lacking without the gravity mechanics and possibilities available to the galaxy setting; it should have been Mario Galaxy 3, not Super Mario World 3D.

Like what looks like the majority of people here, I consider Mario Galaxy 2 to be the greatest platformer ever made. I wouldn't stop there though, I would also consider it the greatest Nintendo game ever made, and perhaps even the greatest game currently existing. I can't think of any other game so execellently crafted.

Galaxy is nothing like Mario 64.

Sorry its not. Galaxy is more condensed.

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
xJbownagex said:
Hynad said:

Thats Metroid.

Basically you want Starfox Adventures.

Have you ever played the second and third Sly Cooper titles? Those are essentially what I'd want the game to be like, except with one big world, and obviously without the stealth elements.