By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bethesda: Wii U is "not on our radar". "It's largely a hardware thing."

Tagged games:

RolStoppable said:
I am not just surprised, I am honestly shocked. Historically, Bethesda has had very strong ties with Nintendo, so perhaps now it's really time to get worried about the Wii U.

Yes, such wonderful connections as "Where's Waldo" and "Home Alone." Both from way back in the NES days of 1991.

No, seriously, the Wii U could have an install base of 100 million ALREADY and Bethesda wouldn't be interested in it. The Wii has an install base of 100 million now and the DS over 150 million. Bethesda has never developed a single game for either of them. (Developed =/= published).

Around the Network
noname2200 said:

Well that's easy enough to fix: a couple hundred bucks to form a new corporation, and we'll have the new Not-endo Wee U, now with the latest third-party titles!

No No it has to sound hardcore. Something like Nin-core Blood U could do the job. That will attract 3rd parties.

Nintendo and PC gamer

goodgamesir said:
Most likely they got paid by EA to not support the wii U those bastards

You do realize Bethesda is a publisher and publishes their own stuff, don't you?  They have nothing to do with EA.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

justinian said:
I do not have data regarding Bethesda game sales on the wii platform b

I have that data in front of me. The zero titles they developed for the system had a pathetic zero sales. I can see why they're staying away!

Egann said:
RolStoppable said:
I am not just surprised, I am honestly shocked. Historically, Bethesda has had very strong ties with Nintendo, so perhaps now it's really time to get worried about the Wii U.

Yes, such wonderful connections as "Where's Waldo" and "Home Alone." Both from way back in the NES days of 1991.

No, seriously, the Wii U could have an install base of 100 million ALREADY and Bethesda wouldn't be interested in it. The Wii has an install base of 100 million now and the DS over 150 million. Bethesda has never developed a single game for either of them. (Developed =/= published).

And the only thing that sells on it are Nintendo games and party/minigames geared towards the casual set.

Even the mighty COD franchise had abysmal sales on the Wii considering its install base and how popular COD is, especially here in the West.  The fact of the matter is that Bethesda's target audience does not game on the Wii or DS, or if they own them it's because they want access to Nintendo's 1st party selection and nothing else.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:

When they made the engines for those games the PS3 and 360 were new and the most powerful consoles available. There's a reason (actually, probably 2 reasons) why Morrowind never made it to PS2 even though it had the largest user base.

OT: Completely expected. If they release the same games (from PC/PS4/X1) on PS3/360 but not WiiU then there's obviously a non-hardware issue, but I see no reason not to believe them until someone proves otherwise.

Edit- Just realised the games in the OP are also coming to PS3/360, so this isn't solely a hardware issue.

Irrelevant to the point, because no matter how powerful Xbox 360 and PS3 were, they were nothing compared to a good gaming PC. They put the games on weaker hardware with PS3 and 360.

Its worth noting too, that the Gamebryo Engine which was used on Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas was also used on Morrowind which was an Xbox/PC game released in 2002.

noname2200 said:
justinian said:
I do not have data regarding Bethesda game sales on the wii platform b

I have that data in front of me. The zero titles they developed for the system had a pathetic zero sales. I can see why they're staying away!

Thanks. I recall they did some Nintendo stuff but wasn't quite sure if anything was on the wii.

I agree. Besides if they didn't develope anything on a weak 100m selling wii I do not see them doing it on a poorly selling "weak" wii u.

Carl2291 said:
Scoobes said:

When they made the engines for those games the PS3 and 360 were new and the most powerful consoles available. There's a reason (actually, probably 2 reasons) why Morrowind never made it to PS2 even though it had the largest user base.

OT: Completely expected. If they release the same games (from PC/PS4/X1) on PS3/360 but not WiiU then there's obviously a non-hardware issue, but I see no reason not to believe them until someone proves otherwise.

Edit- Just realised the games in the OP are also coming to PS3/360, so this isn't solely a hardware issue.

Irrelevant to the point, because no matter how powerful Xbox 360 and PS3 were, they were nothing compared to a good gaming PC. They put the games on weaker hardware with PS3 and 360.

Its worth noting too, that the Gamebryo Engine which was used on Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas was also used on Morrowind which was an Xbox/PC game released in 2002.

The game was also designed to run on PC hardware that was less capable than the 360 and PS3. My brother managed to run Oblivion on a crappy dual core AMD with an NVidia 7600. They (PS3/360) weren't the lowest common denominator so it becomes very relevant. Assuming they're designing these games for PS4/X1/mid-range PC, then it's quite possible that the 1Gb of RAM in the WiiU just isn't enough for what they plan on doing.

Also, the Gamebyro engine has been updated heavily since Morrowind. Engines evolve heavily over time and incorporate new features that become integral to the game(s). Just look at how Valve have updated the Source Engine since Half-Life 2.

Well that's not surprising but Bethesda's games only work well on the platform they prefer. This generation it was the 360 and next gen it will probably be the PS4. They will just port their games to the WiiU which will mean the WiiU versions will most likely suck.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Scoobes said:

The game was also designed to run on PC hardware that was less capable than the 360 and PS3. My brother managed to run Oblivion on a crappy dual core AMD with an NVidia 7600. They (PS3/360) weren't the lowest common denominator so it becomes very relevant. Assuming they're designing these games for PS4/X1/mid-range PC, then it's quite possible that the 1Gb of RAM in the WiiU just isn't enough for what they plan on doing.

Also, the Gamebyro engine has been updated heavily since Morrowind. Engines evolve heavily over time and incorporate new features that become integral to the game(s). Just look at how Valve have updated the Source Engine since Half-Life 2.

I need to point you back to the original post I quoted -

Daisuke72 said:

Or maybe they don't want to compromise their vision by putting it on weak hardware and dumbing it down?

Are you willing to argue that Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas on PS3 and 360 were just as good as they were on PC. Or are you going to say they were dumbed down on PS3 and 360 when compared to the stronger hardware of PC?

If they didnt want to compromise their vision by putting it on weak hardware and dumbing it down, the games would have been PC exclusives.