By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo hardly showed anything new AT ALL; have they run out of ideas? (Rant)

happydolphin said:
DanneSandin said:

2) So you weren't surprised at all that Nintendo landed that exclusive?!

3) I wasn't expecting a new core IP. I was expecting A new IP.

4) I hope you're right.

@3. Why though? It makes absolutely no sense given Nintendo's history of IPs and newness of IPs.

Nintendo has always come out with new IP's. Pikmin. Eternal Darkness. Wii Sports. Wii Fit.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
osed125 said:
DanneSandin said:

Actually no. The game looks great don't get me wrong, but the Wii had a couple of exclusive Sonic games, this wasn't really a surprise. 

Then you're a wiser man than me good sir =)

Nintendo might do a repeat of last year. Show all the good stuff at a later date.

I'm thinking this is how they are going to work from now on. Announce games in a Nintendo Direct and show them off at E3.

DanneSandin said:
F0X said:
DanneSandin said:
F0X said:
DanneSandin said:
F0X said:
I don't think you can determine which path 3D Mario should take until after we see sales figures for 3D World. If it passes Galaxy 2 like 3D Land did, then this is a step forward.

I can already play this game - on 3DS! That's the problem. I really do hope thet 3dLand/World becomes a new spin off - but it's not a "proper" 3D Mario like Galaxy or 64.

Truth be told, it seems as if this was envisioned as part of the same sub-set as 3D Land to begin with. Like how Galaxy 1-2 is a sub-set. And NSMB is a sub-set.

Which means it'll probably end at some point. I don't see EAD Tokyo pushing further after they play the multiplayer card... they seem to be focused on delivering upon ideas that couldn't be done in 3D Land (since it's a handheld title), similar to how Galaxy 2 existed because of the many leftover concepts from Galaxy 1.

I hope you're right. I hope they're making another 3D Mario! That will make me love 3DWorld for what it is! But right now, to me, it's the successor to Galaxy... And that's one of my gripes with it.

I don't think Nintendo sees it the same way. They probably see 3D Land as the Galaxy successor, and 3D World as building upon 3D Land.

I guess it makes sense that after writing themselves into a corner (seriously, what comes after Galaxy?), Nintendo would go for a back-to-basics approach. Or an extremely different and strange one (like Sunshine). I do have a feeling that we'll see a second Mario game by EAD Tokyo on Wii U. It is a two-team developer, after all. Unless the second team is working on something different. Like Miyamoto's new IP or something (this is not a prediction).

I so hope you're right!! With everything you said.

As far as I know they only have a home console team and a handheld team, or have that changed?

It's much stranger than that, actually. Tokyo Team 1 made the first Galaxy game and have been quiet since. Tokyo Team 2 made Galaxy 2, 3D Land, and now 3D World. My best guess is that Team 1 is the division responsible for many of Nintendo's in-house game engines, and they've been busy with their next-gen engines. Which I hope we'll get to see soon, if we haven't already.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

DanneSandin said:
happydolphin said:
DanneSandin said:
happydolphin said:

@ONE Zelda: 4 Swords, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess. I'd count that as 2 ;) 4 Swords: ½, WW: 1, TP: ½

@ONE Metroid: Prime, Other M And N64 didn't have ANY Metroid game...

@ONE 3D Mario: 3DWorld, upcoming 60-man orchestra Mario game. I'm so hoping this is true! THAT would be awesome!

The numbers just do not fit your point of view, they have resources assigned for the next big-production Mario game and it doesn't fit in a game of the caliber (or lack thereof) of 3DW.

I can't believe I have to argue this it is just so glaringly obvious to me.

Stop hoping and get real!!! Given what we know, that's the only conclusion. 3DW does not in any way exclude a proper successor to Galaxy, not in any way. Your logic for the examples I gave though funny couldn't convince anyone with half a brain.

Then I'm guessing that you're fully believe that Retro will have another game to show soon as well? Because a 2D platformer doesn't take 3 to make, right?

Depends. Retro may have had to create a new game engine, beef up on staff because of the new hardware, ect.

And they may be creating a metric crapton of content for DKC:TF.

Or they have some people working on another project which will start full development after DKC:TF is finished.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
happydolphin said:

@3. Why though? It makes absolutely no sense given Nintendo's history of IPs and newness of IPs.

Nintendo has always come out with new IP's. Pikmin. Eternal Darkness. Wii Sports. Wii Fit.

You're naming IPs across various platforms from various devs. To ED I give you Wonderful 101. To pikmin I give you some unannounced Miyamoto project.

To Wii Sports and Wii Fit I give you Nintendoland and then a plethora of sequels to the Wii Series (Wii Fit U, Wii Party U). As time goes on it takes money to make sequels to these new IPs which constantly grow, much like they did in the NES days with their New IPs (Mario 2J, Mario 3, Zelda 2, etc. etc. etc.).

F0X said:
ksv said:
The funniest thing is that they didn't showcase ANY use of the gamepad except for Tingle.

So Nintendo were going to revolutionize gaming yet again with their controller, but they themselves have found no use for it yet. I remember when Nintendo actually designed their hardware around their brilliant game ideas. Now they came up with a silly hardware gimmick and have no idea how to use it, or how to promote it. Such a joke.

Incorrect. The Wonderful 101 also used the GamePad as a primary control feature.

And the interview with the Platinum-dev was talking about Bayonetta using touch-controls.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

DanneSandin said:
happydolphin said:
DanneSandin said:

3) I wasn't expecting a new core IP. I was expecting A new IP.

4) I hope you're right.

And you have a newP IP, it's just that it was revealed last year and has not released yet. In other words, W101. You should know yourself that Nintendo creates new IPs not too often and there you have one. If you think that they would reveal a new one each year, then you must be really hopeful.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

KHlover said:
Close the thread, the WiiFit instructor seems to be a character in Super Smash Bros. If THAT isn't an unique idea I have no idea how you guys ever will be satisfied :P

The trailer with the WiiFit-instructor is quite fun by the way and it looks like the gameplay is not bad. But yes, W101 and X are the things I look forward too, the other stuff was meh.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

F0X said:

It's much stranger than that, actually. Tokyo Team 1 made the first Galaxy game and have been quiet since. Tokyo Team 2 made Galaxy 2, 3D Land, and now 3D World. My best guess is that Team 1 is the division responsible for many of Nintendo's in-house game engines, and they've been busy with their next-gen engines. Which I hope we'll get to see soon, if we haven't already.

Yeah that is a bit strange...