By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witness Uses 5GB RAM Right Now

Tagged games:

RolStoppable said:
Any game that uses less than 10GB of RAM doesn't cut it for me. Jonathan Blow lacks ambition, if he is willing to compromise his vision so much.

Extra RAM was the reason the GameCube was a better system than the PS2. 36 MB of RAM was decent for the time, but the extra 7 MB the GameCube offered gave it the upper hand. Considering how the Dreamcast had a measly 16 MB of RAM, it's no wonder it died an early death.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

A good software architecture to begin with is required for good reliable software. If that software is a game and it runs well by using up all (free) available resources (easy to do in a fixed hardware environment, you know what you have) then additional optimisation is not needed and it's a waste of resources (that is developer time that costs money).
By this logic though, all amounts of ram will always be used up on any fixed system ever by ambitious game crators. So have both Xbone and PS4 had 16GB of ram, the game above would have already used up 13 and someone would have wandered why there isn't more since DDR3 is soo cheap.

walsufnir said:
MDMAlliance said:
I dunno, a lot of people in the past told me that RAM isn't that important compared to other units like the GPU and CPU. This makes it seem like RAM should be a first priority. I wouldn't know, though.

No, RAM isn't the most important thing. I don't want to go into detail but less RAM can block the computing units, "enough" RAM doesn't increase computing.

Given that XBone is rumored to have 5GB RAM free for games, given that the Witness by now seems to be PS4-console-exclusive, given the game also releases on iOS and the dev wants to use more than 5GB of RAM, it seems $ony bought a dev-statement. Nothing wrong with that, but to me quite obvious.

Well spotted. That must be the case.

Annoying. It doesn't suit an indie dev to take sides like that, especially not if he was bought with money.

I find that somewhat hard to believe. As others have said, it's coming to iOS! And it doesn't look that great for using 10x more RAM than the PS3 had in total

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Yet somehow he'll get it to look and play the exact same with less RAM on PC.

Around the Network

Nice, my 4 year old pc has exactly 5gb of system ram. Add 1gb video ram to that and my pc will kill that b.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Seems like BS :/

MDMAlliance said:

I think you're just offended.  Everyone knows that people get paid to make PR statements all the time, and you're only fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

What are people talking about?  Johnathan Blow already stated that he didn't get paid a dime to make The Witness exclusive.  He simply wasn't going to make an Xbox version anytime soon, so he said "why not?" when Sony asked about being a timed exclusive.

Loading your entire game onto system memory is not lazy, it's the best possible approach. Imagine if you could wander the entire world of Skyrim, without a loading screen. Going in and out of cities and dungeons, like you would in real life.

OP needs to stop posting negative threads about Sony.