By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witness Uses 5GB RAM Right Now

Tagged games:

Porcupine_I said:
He is the typical artist who doesn't really want to deal with the technical aspect of things, so if something is easier for him to do he is happy about it. He wants to concentrate on making a great game without being forced to tackle hardware restrictions to his vision.

i can't really blame him for that, although honestly the game really doesn't look THAT demanding.

Well, I can see how they spent those 5GB so easily if the whole island is preloaded into RAM.

Anyway, we haven't had a good Myst-like in a long time, so I'm hoping he'll deliver.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
MDMAlliance said:
I dunno, a lot of people in the past told me that RAM isn't that important compared to other units like the GPU and CPU. This makes it seem like RAM should be a first priority. I wouldn't know, though.

No, RAM isn't the most important thing. I don't want to go into detail but less RAM can block the computing units, "enough" RAM doesn't increase computing.

Given that XBone is rumored to have 5GB RAM free for games, given that the Witness by now seems to be PS4-console-exclusive, given the game also releases on iOS and the dev wants to use more than 5GB of RAM, it seems $ony bought a dev-statement. Nothing wrong with that, but to me quite obvious.

When you develop a game of this scope or better why don't you comment then. Until you do that you should cut the Sony paying devs. crap. I think it's more Sony is supporting the indie movement so indies are showing their support for Sony.

NYCrysis said:
walsufnir said:
MDMAlliance said:
I dunno, a lot of people in the past told me that RAM isn't that important compared to other units like the GPU and CPU. This makes it seem like RAM should be a first priority. I wouldn't know, though.

No, RAM isn't the most important thing. I don't want to go into detail but less RAM can block the computing units, "enough" RAM doesn't increase computing.

Given that XBone is rumored to have 5GB RAM free for games, given that the Witness by now seems to be PS4-console-exclusive, given the game also releases on iOS and the dev wants to use more than 5GB of RAM, it seems $ony bought a dev-statement. Nothing wrong with that, but to me quite obvious.

When you develop a game of this scope or better why don't you comment then. Until you do that you should cut the Sony paying devs. crap. I think it's more Sony is supporting the indie movement so indies are showing their support for Sony.

I think you're just offended.  Everyone knows that people get paid to make PR statements all the time, and you're only fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

NYCrysis said:
walsufnir said:
MDMAlliance said:

No, I won't if it is as obvious as in this case and I couldn't care less about your opinion :)

MDMAlliance said:
NYCrysis said:
walsufnir said:

I think you're just offended.  Everyone knows that people get paid to make PR statements all the time, and you're only fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

But it's funny how he came to the conclusion that this is a sony paid pr statement when he doesn't mention the ps4 #1 goes on talking about gaming pc's and the talking smack about the xbox one. What if 5gb means 5gb on the PC? He vocally seems to hate M$ and you conclude it's just Sony paying him SMH.

Around the Network

I don't get the fascination over RAM optimization. As gamers, we really shouldn't care about this, because developers WILL make the necessary optimizations to get all their desired features in the package. If 8GB proved to be insufficient for their game they will start optimizing, but as it stands (esp. with the game in question), they don't need it. Skipping unnecessary task such as this frees up resources and therefore allows the developers to work on the other aspects of the game.

walsufnir said:
MB1025 said:
Thread title needs to be changed.

He doesn't say it uses more than 5GB of RAM. He says it "WANTS" to use more than 5GB of RAM. Which to mean is a hint at how much RAM will be available for games on the PS4.

Wrong. "8 Gigs isn't that much. The Witness is 5GB so far."

In his second tweet he says it WANTS to use more. The thread title said "IT USES MORE". Whether you want to use his second tweet of WANTS or SO FAR doesn't change the fact that the thread title was wrong. As of right now it doesn't use more.

NYCrysis said:
walsufnir said:
MDMAlliance said:

isn't it usually argued that Sony is broke and can't afford anything anyway?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

HoloDust said:
Porcupine_I said:
He is the typical artist who doesn't really want to deal with the technical aspect of things, so if something is easier for him to do he is happy about it. He wants to concentrate on making a great game without being forced to tackle hardware restrictions to his vision.

i can't really blame him for that, although honestly the game really doesn't look THAT demanding.

Well, I can see how they spent those 5GB so easily if the whole island is preloaded into RAM.

Anyway, we haven't had a good Myst-like in a long time, so I'm hoping he'll deliver.

i can only agree with both statements

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

NYCrysis said:
MDMAlliance said:

But it's funny how he came to the conclusion that this is a sony paid pr statement when he doesn't mention the ps4 #1 goes on talking about gaming pc's and the talking smack about the xbox one. What if 5gb means 5gb on the PC? He vocally seems to hate M$ and you conclude it's just Sony paying him SMH.

Well, apparently, at least according to some people here, devs can't express their opinions anymore without being called corporate shills.

And yes, I find it funny too, specially since it 's Jonathan Blow in question...but not that I expect any better from lot of folks here tbh.