By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witness Uses 5GB RAM Right Now

Tagged games:

I like how somehow using 5gb minimum of ram is somehow a good thing now.

Been a computer gamer for a long time and pretty sure from my recollection games that require a mass amount of Ram to run are not looked at favorably. Not that computer gamers don't have enough ram (heck now adays most computer gamers have like 16 gb of ram, but regardless always had way more ram than any console), but just that we see it as a system hog and feel the developer was lazy and made a bad game assuming there will be driver updates or patches or something that will improve it and reduce the ram usage.

But now this guy is bragging basically about using a crap load of ram and not caring.  Seems he wouldn't mind using up all ram possible.  Hey I'm all for filling up a disc to teh max in terms of game size, but you never like to hear that a developer is using up as much of your systems specs as possible, and not because he is pushing boundaries but because he is just not optimizing his engine.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Any game that uses less than 10GB of RAM doesn't cut it for me. Jonathan Blow lacks ambition, if he is willing to compromise his vision so much.

Hear Hear

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Surely people saying how lazy he must be are just reinforcing part of his point? Does any dev actually want to spend thousands of man hours simply getting a game to run properly, surely that time would rather be spending making the game and optimising the gameplay, not the ram usage?

At the same time I assume 5GB is plenty for seasoned developers to work with for the  better part of the next decade hence why microsoft stopped at that point. Also the Xbox One could have 16GB of ram but wouldn't all its other components act as bottlenecks. I'm assuming having 2x as much ram does not equate to having twice the graphics/performance as you have to consider CPU/GPU and all their specs.

Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

one of my most anticipated games. it looks so awesome.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:

No, I won't if it is as obvious as in this case and I couldn't care less about your opinion :)

In this case though, I don't think that Sony has anything to do with this. Blow just really dislikes MS and has stated so many times.

Talal said:
walsufnir said:

No, I won't if it is as obvious as in this case and I couldn't care less about your opinion :)

In this case though, I don't think that Sony has anything to do with this. Blow just really dislikes MS and has stated so many times.

I looked at more posts he twitters - seems to be the usual type of ms-rant-guy - I am wondering if he has an account here.

Galaki said:
OP needs to stop posting negative threads about Sony.

pokoko said:
MDMAlliance said:

I think you're just offended.  Everyone knows that people get paid to make PR statements all the time, and you're only fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

What are people talking about?  Johnathan Blow already stated that he didn't get paid a dime to make The Witness exclusive.  He simply wasn't going to make an Xbox version anytime soon, so he said "why not?" when Sony asked about being a timed exclusive.

I am responding in reference to this comment specifically: "When you develop a game of this scope or better why don't you comment then."

My comment isn't about this case specifically as I don't really know much of anything about it.  However, it's the fact that you do NOT need to do X and Y to know Z.  Like for example, you don't need to be a surgeon in order to know that sometimes surgeons make mistakes that result in a patient's death.

1. 8GB = RAM + Video RAM. A game that "only uses 4GB of RAM" on a PC will also be using 2GB of Video RAM easy

2. Using more RAM is very easy to do, helps you not have to load stuff from the slow hard-drive, and costs nothing. All games should use all of the RAM available or they're being inefficient.

3. Conversely, more RAM does not by itself equal faster.