By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witness Uses 5GB RAM Right Now

Tagged games:

I dunno. Sounds like BS to me. Better not use that much RAM on PC, though.

Around the Network
Salnax said:
RolStoppable said:
Any game that uses less than 10GB of RAM doesn't cut it for me. Jonathan Blow lacks ambition, if he is willing to compromise his vision so much.

Extra RAM was the reason the GameCube was a better system than the PS2. 36 MB of RAM was decent for the time, but the extra 7 MB the GameCube offered gave it the upper hand. Considering how the Dreamcast had a measly 16 MB of RAM, it's no wonder it died an early death.

You know, the 3DS has more RAM than the gamecube and wii, but people say the 3DS is weaker than the wii.  So if RAM was really the deciding factor in power, then everyone should be saying that the 3DS is decisively more powerful than the Wii as it also uses a more efficient form of RAM as well (FCRAM).

Wow that is alot! I hope 8gb is enough for future games

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

MDMAlliance said:
Salnax said:
RolStoppable said:
Any game that uses less than 10GB of RAM doesn't cut it for me. Jonathan Blow lacks ambition, if he is willing to compromise his vision so much.

Extra RAM was the reason the GameCube was a better system than the PS2. 36 MB of RAM was decent for the time, but the extra 7 MB the GameCube offered gave it the upper hand. Considering how the Dreamcast had a measly 16 MB of RAM, it's no wonder it died an early death.

You know, the 3DS has more RAM than the gamecube and wii, but people say the 3DS is weaker than the wii.  So if RAM was really the deciding factor in power, then everyone should be saying that the 3DS is decisively more powerful than the Wii as it also uses a more efficient form of RAM as well (FCRAM).

The 3DS is designed to output at a much lower resolution than the Wii, since it's a handheld, and can't generate as many polygons. Though it does have some advantages like a more modern GPU and CPU. More RAM and normal shader support is probably the biggest reason why Resident Evil looked pretty decent.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

sad

color me interested.  I like the art style.

I agree.  If more RAMs makes it easier for indie devs to crank something out, so be it.  As long as the gameplay is good and fun I'm happy.  Not everything will look like Crysis.

Also, thats a pretty cool art style and nice draw distance.   Some of you are such graphics whores lol.

Around the Network
F0X said:
MDMAlliance said:
Salnax said:

The 3DS is designed to output at a much lower resolution than the Wii, since it's a handheld, and can't generate as many polygons. Though it does have some advantages like a more modern GPU and CPU. More RAM and normal shader support is probably the biggest reason why Resident Evil looked pretty decent.

I was trying to make the point that you can't say that RAM is the reason why one system was better than the other.

g911turbo said:

sad

color me interested.  I like the art style.

I agree.  If more RAMs makes it easier for indie devs to crank something out, so be it.  As long as the gameplay is good and fun I'm happy.  Not everything will look like Crysis.

Also, thats a pretty cool art style and nice draw distance.   Some of you are such graphics whores lol.

The PS4 is so powerful there is no Draw Distance.  The entire world is rendered and loaded the whole time in its games.  

That's the power of 8gb ram

What is that a joke?  Blu-Ray can only load at 70 MB/s. 

5 GB / 70 MB = 71.41 seconds

The hard drive is even slower then the blu-ray drive at loading the games.  Thus - The Witness must take 1 minute and 11 seconds to load at best, probably more like 1 minute and 20 seconds.  No thanks.

NobleTeam360 said:
Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

It's a good thing.  You're paying for the RAM, devs might as well use it to crank out games faster.

Cyborg13B said:

What is that a joke?  Blu-Ray can only load at 70 MB/s.

5 GB / 70 MB = 71.41 seconds

The hard drive is even slower then the blu-ray drive at loading the games.  Thus - The Witness must take 1 minute and 11 seconds to load at best, probably more like 1 minute and 20 seconds.  No thanks.

Ahahaha, no, please. not again... Please don't tell me another one confusing bits and bytes, please! I had a surgery today and feel pain when laughing... PLEASE!