By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witness Uses 5GB RAM Right Now

Tagged games:

MDMAlliance said:
F0X said:
MDMAlliance said:
Salnax said:

Extra RAM was the reason the GameCube was a better system than the PS2. 36 MB of RAM was decent for the time, but the extra 7 MB the GameCube offered gave it the upper hand. Considering how the Dreamcast had a measly 16 MB of RAM, it's no wonder it died an early death.

You know, the 3DS has more RAM than the gamecube and wii, but people say the 3DS is weaker than the wii.  So if RAM was really the deciding factor in power, then everyone should be saying that the 3DS is decisively more powerful than the Wii as it also uses a more efficient form of RAM as well (FCRAM).

The 3DS is designed to output at a much lower resolution than the Wii, since it's a handheld, and can't generate as many polygons. Though it does have some advantages like a more modern GPU and CPU. More RAM and normal shader support is probably the biggest reason why Resident Evil looked pretty decent.

I was trying to make the point that you can't say that RAM is the reason why one system was better than the other.

Right, but I wouldn't use 3DS and Wii as an example because of the inherent differences between home consoles and handhelds.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

Almost doesn't matter if he is confusing it.  The game can load data into RAM in the background.  Perhaps during the intial loading screens (picking save files etc) and when you first enter said world.  Once everything is dumped into RAM you're good to go.

More RAM is NEVER a bad thing except in terms of cost (and maybe power, but that's almost negligible in this case).

5GB of RAM? For what? I see only a puzzle game when I look at this title. Mabye I'm missing something. Can someone clarify this game for me?

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DialgaMarine said:
5GB of RAM? For what? I see only a puzzle game when I look at this title. Mabye I'm missing something. Can someone clarify this game for me?

Makes sense if you load the world (or at least a lot ot it) in the RAM.

So you have no dynamic loading while walking in the World.

F0X said:
MDMAlliance said:
F0X said:
The 3DS is designed to output at a much lower resolution than the Wii, since it's a handheld, and can't generate as many polygons. Though it does have some advantages like a more modern GPU and CPU. More RAM and normal shader support is probably the biggest reason why Resident Evil looked pretty decent.

I was trying to make the point that you can't say that RAM is the reason why one system was better than the other.

Right, but I wouldn't use 3DS and Wii as an example because of the inherent differences between home consoles and handhelds.

When the point is that "RAM" is the reason one system is more powerful than another, it wouldn't matter if it's between "home consoles" and "handhelds."  128 is still larger than 88.  If RAM were the reason one system was more powerful than another, then it shouldn't make a difference if it's handheld or home console.

Around the Network

I expected that this game would be a resource hog.

ethomaz said:
DialgaMarine said:

Makes sense if you load the world (or at least a lot ot it) in the RAM.

So you have no dynamic loading while walking in the World.

I'm no expert on RAM (obviously). It's Just wierd seeing as a game long God of War 3 does something similar, but with about a 20th of the memory, and still looks amazing. Either way, I'm not too interested in this...

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DialgaMarine said:

I'm no expert on RAM (obviously). It's Just wierd seeing as a game long God of War 3 does something similar, but with about a 20th of the memory, and still looks amazing. Either way, I'm not too interested in this...

Devs do some tricks to use low RAM like dymanic and constant load of the scenario to the RAM while you walk... they just load a part of the scenario and you go ahead it discart the previous and load a new part... this sometimes causes screen tearing because the load is not fast enough.

Load all the scenario to the RAM is the best way when you have RAM available.

He should realize that Sony is really spoiling with that 8 GB RAM, and so is MS.

ethomaz said:
DialgaMarine said:

Devs do some tricks to use low RAM like dymanic and constant load of the scenario to the RAM while you walk... they just load a part of the scenario and you go ahead it discart the previous and load a new part... this sometimes causes screen tearing because the load is not fast enough.

Load all the scenario to the RAM is the best way when you have RAM available.

Right. BTW not always RAM usage optimization is equivalent to higher performances, for example loop unfolding consumes more memory but increases performances. On top of this "optimization"can mean a quite broad range of things: if you have to multitask many processes, even more in a multiuser environment, you'll want to minimize both RAM usage and disk access, even sacrificing some performances to obtain this, but in a single user machine, even more on a gaming console, with one privileged application that receives most of the RAM, unless the application is small enough to occupy less than the maximum available, you'll want to use ALL the RAM reserved to it to minimize disk access, that is several orders of magnitude slower than RAM. Obviously this doesn't mean wasting that RAM, but trying to use it all in the most efficient way possible, while if possible not exceeding its size.
Morrowind used a dynamic loading that had to fit in the narrow constraints of XB's 64MB RAM (what's worse that 64MB was a half of the originally planned 128MB, this caused further troubles to devs that had start planning their games before), this made the game not fully exploiting larger RAM when running on PCs: for example it was possible to extend the visibility radius, but beyond a given distance the world remained "frozen" until the player got closer. Gothic, from the same period, but PC exclusive, ran smoother and allowed continuity between indoors and outdoors.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!