By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony Lost The Console War In North America.

Jay520 said:
Lawlight said:

The PS3 isn't about to fade away or anything like that anytime soon.

Define fade away. It's currently down 25% YoY. By the end of the year that figure is going to be even lower with the PS4/720 and no remodel. It's pretty much freefall from that point on. 

It's definitely in the "fading" stage. And it looks like it's going to be "away" too quickly to catch up.

Down 25% YoY? I'd like to see a source for that. But even then, the PS3 hasn't had a price drop (it actually had a price increase) in nearly 2 years. It is reaching saturation at that price. It still has a lot of room for price drops before reaching that $129 price point.

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
foodfather said:

I don't think america is very brand loyal in general, they go for whatever is best and thats the 360. 

Therefore PS4 has a chance in NA providing Sony don't fuck up the launch like they did with PS3. Unlike Japan and Europe where brand name means everything. I'm surprised 360 made it this far in Europe considering how big the Sony brand is over there.

Thats a much better thing to do than blindly follow brands like alot of Europeans do lol.  I am one so I am allowed to say it.

(and when I ask friends why they buy  XY-brand's TV or whatever their answer is   "Because its  XY it must be good  my vibrator/toaster/flusher is made by the same company OR THEY SAY  my  grand grand grand fathers WW1 radio was made by them SO IT MUST BE FACT THAT AFTER 1000000 YEARS A COMPANY HAS THE SAME QUALITY!"......  pffft pathetic line of thought)

As an American, I'd switch to whichever company making the vibrator/toaster/flusher in a heartbeat.

Alright guys stop the madness.

We all need to realize that Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo have been extremely successful with a 30% 3 way tie

when all is said and done.

Nintendo is successful so is Sony and Microsoft.

We should all be happy None of these companies are going to go away and I personally don't want to see anyone

of these companies go away.

I really want to see some innovative games coming from sony with PS4 Hopefull Knack is going to be good.

I like the fact that Microsoft is part of the industry because of them we get to play PC games we would have

never known about.

And I hope Nintendo really take their franchises to the next level with Wii U.

Guys we should all be happy Microsoft Sony and Nintendo are doing well.

I think we are looking for one company to just push ahead and dominate.

I think those days are over, PS2 was the last console I think will dominate PS2 I believe had 75% Market Share.

I don't think Nintendo or Microsoft or Sony can ever do that again .

Each company got their fanbase and following. And neither company will get left behind.

There is nothing to fear just great gaming consoles to play on.

Remember at the end of the day, we are all gamers, no matter what gaming device we choose to play on.

WiiUPlayBox.

Mazty said:
There was never a console war in the US. The US always buys home grown products over international firms and everyone tends to know this - there's a good reason multinationals from Europe don't bother with the US.

You are fucking clueless about America. So I guess Nintendo, Toyota and Samsung are American grown company. I'll give you a guess why I mention these three companies.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
RenCutypoison said:

North americans are loyals. Why would they buy iThings if it wasn't the case ?

What in the blue hell? Americans are the least loyal buyers on earth. 

The "iThings" is irrelevant to game consoles. Apple devices are mostly just some hipster bullshit.

In regards to game consoles, consumers primarily just go where the game they want are. Whether they be Americans, or Japanese.

The 360 showed the Japanese will buy an American game console if it just gets games they want. As it got less exclusive games Japanese consumers enjoy, sales declined.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
bonkers555 said:
Mazty said:
There was never a console war in the US. The US always buys home grown products over international firms and everyone tends to know this - there's a good reason multinationals from Europe don't bother with the US.

You are fucking clueless about America. So I guess Nintendo, Toyota and Samsung are American grown company. I'll give you a guess why I mention these three companies.

Calm down it's not that serious.

Read my post above.

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
RenCutypoison said:

North americans are loyals. Why would they buy iThings if it wasn't the case ?

What in the blue hell? Americans are the least loyal buyers on earth. 

The "iThings" is irrelevant to game consoles. Apple devices are mostly just some hipster bullshit.

In regards to game consoles, consumers primarily just go where the game they want are. Whether they be Americans, or Japanese.

The 360 showed the Japanese will buy an American game console if it just gets games they want. As it got less exclusive games Japanese consumers enjoy, sales declined.

The Truth.

The Japanese console market is pretty dismal and has been for a long time.

The console sales there a horrible compared to the rest of the world.

I think the Japanese just love their mobile gaming devices 3DS and such Hopefully PSVITA sales pick up if they haven't already.

Mazty said:

You're right, there wasn't a console war....with the original Xbox.

Lawlight said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Lawlight said:

How could they have won when they dropped out of the race and the race is still ongoing?

Last week, I ran against Usain Bolt and he crossed the finish line way ahead of me. He stopped and sat on a bench but I kept running until I reached the finish line. Does this mean I won?

Poor, poor analogy. The race has a fixed target - 100m, 200m, etc. A console race doesn't. Anything else to say?

Sorry, what you said initially was:

Lawlight said:
A thread title of "Sony won the console war" is also valid.

No, because Sony hasn't won yet, it is behind Wii. You may say "Sony will maybe win the console war - I hope", but that you could also say about Microsoft.

Also Nintendo didn't dropped out yet, the Wii is selling.

Stop stating as a fact, that Sony will close the gap. That is highly unlikely. But if you bet on that event - say that you hope for it will happen, not say it happened.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Lawlight said:
You're right - the PS3 might ship 11M instead of  13M. Unless, of course, the PS3 gets a price drop, which is very likely. So, I'd say sales will be stable.

LOL, wanna bet?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]