By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony Lost The Console War In North America.

Microsoft and Sony both lost to Nintendo this console generation....Say what you want but numbers don't lie. Wii had the best rpgs of this generation with Xenoblade and The Last Story. I also think that people will not buy too much Microsoft consoles next gen. A lot of people are tired of having to pay for everything, including online play. We will see what Microsoft does though. Doesn't help if there is rumors of having to always being online however.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Lawlight said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Lawlight said:

How could they have won when they dropped out of the race and the race is still ongoing?

Last week, I ran against Usain Bolt and he crossed the finish line way ahead of me. He stopped and sat on a bench but I kept running until I reached the finish line. Does this mean I won?

Poor, poor analogy. The race has a fixed target - 100m, 200m, etc. A console race doesn't. Anything else to say?

Sorry, what you said initially was:

Lawlight said:
A thread title of "Sony won the console war" is also valid.

No, because Sony hasn't won yet, it is behind Wii. You may say "Sony will maybe win the console war - I hope", but that you could also say about Microsoft.

Also Nintendo didn't dropped out yet, the Wii is selling.

Stop stating as a fact, that Sony will close the gap. That is highly unlikely. But if you bet on that event - say that you hope for it will happen, not say it happened.

Technically, you're right. They haven't won anything yet. But at this point, it's just a formality.

Mnementh said:
Lawlight said:
You're right - the PS3 might ship 11M instead of  13M. Unless, of course, the PS3 gets a price drop, which is very likely. So, I'd say sales will be stable.

LOL, wanna bet?

Sure.

KingKazuma34 said:
Microsoft and Sony both lost to Nintendo this console generation....Say what you want but numbers don't lie. Wii had the best rpgs of this generation with Xenoblade and The Last Story. I also think that people will not buy too much Microsoft consoles next gen. A lot of people are tired of having to pay for everything, including online play. We will see what Microsoft does though. Doesn't help if there is rumors of having to always being online however.

Actually Wii didn't get Oblivion, Skyrim, Fable 2/3, Demon Souls, Fallout 3 or the Mass Effect series so Nintendo really didn't get the best RPG's this generation, in fact it lagged woefully behind both the 360 and PS3 in that regard.  Rumours don't mean anything if they turn out to be false but you're entitled to your wishful thinking.

Mazty said:
There was never a console war in the US. The US always buys home grown products over international firms and everyone tends to know this - there's a good reason multinationals from Europe don't bother with the US.

What? Are you serious?

I'm a german, german companies have very much reason to bother with the american market.

And last time I checked Sony and Nintendo were japanese companies, and PS2, Wii and DS sold pretty well in the US.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
bonkers555 said:
Mazty said:
There was never a console war in the US. The US always buys home grown products over international firms and everyone tends to know this - there's a good reason multinationals from Europe don't bother with the US.

You are fucking clueless about America. So I guess Nintendo, Toyota and Samsung are American grown company. I'll give you a guess why I mention these three companies.

Many Europeans have a very bad opinion about americans.

KingKazuma34 said:

The 7th gen isn't over yet, that much I can agree with some posters. It's ridiculous to claim Sony WON the gen, as it isn't the current leader and far behind the Wii at the moment. But I would say, that it isn't impoossible for the PS3 to catch the Wii, but we will have to wait some time to find out about that.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Lawlight said:
Mnementh said:
Lawlight said:
You're right - the PS3 might ship 11M instead of  13M. Unless, of course, the PS3 gets a price drop, which is very likely. So, I'd say sales will be stable.

LOL, wanna bet?

Sure.

So you win if they ship more then 11 million the year and I if they ship less? Should we take this calendar-year (2013) or the financial year, which starts and ends in April I think?

Mnementh said:
Lawlight said:
Mnementh said:
Lawlight said:

LOL, wanna bet?

Sure.

So you win if they ship more then 11 million the year and I if they ship less? Should we take this calendar-year (2013) or the financial year, which starts and ends in April I think?

Yes. And let's make it calendar. Financial is too far away.

slowmo said:
KingKazuma34 said:

Actually Wii didn't get Oblivion, Skyrim, Fable 2/3, Demon Souls, Fallout 3 or the Mass Effect series so Nintendo really didn't get the best RPG's this generation, in fact it lagged woefully behind both the 360 and PS3 in that regard.  Rumours don't mean anything if they turn out to be false but you're entitled to your wishful thinking.

Which is why Xenoblade is one of the top rated game in the rpg genre right? Look up how much a copy of Xenoblade is on Amazon, then look up any of those games that you listed. People are willing to pay crazy amounts of money for that game. I never said Nintendo had ALL of the rpgs this generation, I said it had the best, meaning being argued about the best rpg of this generation. It is not wishful thinking on my part if pretty much every major gaming website and insider on the gaming industry have stated that the next Xbox will have DRM and will have to be connected to the internet...