By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony Lost The Console War In North America.

Jay520 said:
Lawlight said:

Poor, poor analogy. The race has a fixed target - 100m, 200m, etc. A console race doesn't. Anything else to say?

Last week, I ran a race against Patrick Makau Musyoki. The race didn't have any fixed target; we were just racing to see who would get the furthest before one of us collapsed and gave up. After a few hours, Patrick has ran about 30 miles. I have ran about 20 miles. Patrick looked back and saw the 10 mile gap and he laughed at my ridiculous pace. He started to walk, then he literally stopped. At one moment, it looked like he even went in reverse a bit. But I kept going and, for a while, I was moving at a faster pace then he was (since he was walking). I got that 10 mile gap down to 8, but I don't know if I can run another 5 miles, let alone 8, before I pass out. Who knows though, maybe I'll get lucky and unlock my hidden potential and I will be able to the entire 8 miles without passing out. Maybe, maybe....

Who is winning?!? I know I'm 8 miles behind but I'm moving faster!

Except your target was who would last longer. It's not the same as who would sell the most (which would be equivalent to who ran the greater distance).

Sorry you had to waste your time and another poor analogy V_V

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Jay520 said:

Last week, I ran a race against Patrick Makau Musyoki. The race didn't have any fixed target; we were just racing to see who would get the furthest before one of us collapsed and gave up. After a few hours, Patrick has ran about 30 miles. I have ran about 20 miles. Patrick looked back and saw the 10 mile gap and he laughed at my ridiculous pace. He started to walk, then he literally stopped. At one moment, it looked like he even went in reverse a bit. But I kept going and, for a while, I was moving at a faster pace then he was (since he was walking). I got that 10 mile gap down to 8, but I don't know if I can run another 5 miles, let alone 8, before I pass out. Who knows though, maybe I'll get lucky and unlock my hidden potential and I will be able to the entire 8 miles without passing out. Maybe, maybe....

Except your target was who would last longer. It's not the same as who would sell the most (which would be equivalent to who ran the greater distance).

Read the bolded. 

Sony may have lost the financial war, but Sony fans/buyers didn't lose at all. They got great games and great service(minus some blips) this gen for a great console.

Xbox buyers also won for the great games they got.

Both consoles have enormous userbases.

And those who bought both systems, got the best of both worlds. Don't understand fanboys at all.

Jay520 said:
Lawlight said:
Jay520 said:

Read the bolded. 

Ok. Isn't it obvious then? He's in the lead. And he will win if you pass out before you catch up to him. But again, it is a bad comparison. The PS3 isn't about to fade away or anything like that anytime soon.

prayformojo said:
foodfather said:

I don't think america is very brand loyal in general, they go for whatever is best and thats the 360. 

Therefore PS4 has a chance in NA providing Sony don't fuck up the launch like they did with PS3. Unlike Japan and Europe where brand name means everything. I'm surprised 360 made it this far in Europe considering how big the Sony brand is over there.

We don't go for what's "best". We go for what's "cool". If we went for what's "best", shows like Jersey Shore, musicians like Justin Bieber and skinny jeans wouldn't be popular here.

Dude, exactly!

Around the Network
Lawlight said:

The PS3 isn't about to fade away or anything like that anytime soon.

Define fade away. It's currently down 25% YoY. By the end of the year that figure is going to be even lower with the PS4/720 and no remodel. It's pretty much freefall from that point on. 

It's definitely in the "fading" stage. And it looks like it's going to be "away" too quickly to catch up.

There was never a console war in the US. The US always buys home grown products over international firms and everyone tends to know this - there's a good reason multinationals from Europe don't bother with the US.

Jay520 said:
Lawlight said:

The PS3 isn't about to fade away or anything like that anytime soon.

Define fade away. It's currently down 25% YoY. By the end of the year that figure is going to be even lower with the PS4/720 and no remodel. It's pretty much freefall from that point on. 

It's definitely in the "fading" stage. And it looks like it's going to be "away" too quickly to catch up.

Fading? Certainly. Too far away to catch up? That's a tough one as it's bluray drive may help it gain ground in developing nations but that's complete speculation on my behalf.

foodfather said:

I don't think america is very brand loyal in general, they go for whatever is best and thats the 360. 

Therefore PS4 has a chance in NA providing Sony don't fuck up the launch like they did with PS3. Unlike Japan and Europe where brand name means everything. I'm surprised 360 made it this far in Europe considering how big the Sony brand is over there.

Thats a much better thing to do than blindly follow brands like alot of Europeans do lol.  I am one so I am allowed to say it.

(and when I ask friends why they buy  XY-brand's TV or whatever their answer is   "Because its  XY it must be good  my vibrator/toaster/flusher is made by the same company OR THEY SAY  my  grand grand grand fathers WW1 radio was made by them SO IT MUST BE FACT THAT AFTER 1000000 YEARS A COMPANY HAS THE SAME QUALITY!"......  pffft pathetic line of thought)

JazzB1987 said:
foodfather said:

Thats a much better thing to do than blidly follow brands like alot of Europeans do lol.  I am one so I am allowed to say it.

(and when I ask friends why they buy  XY-brand's TV or whatever their answer is   "Because its  XY it must be good  my vibrator/toaster/flusher is made by the same company OR THEY SAY  my  grand grand grand fathers WW1 radio was made by them SO IT MUST BE FACT THAT AFTER 1000000 YEARS A COMPANY HAS THE SAME QUALITY!"......  pffft pathetic line of thought)

I can give credit to what this man says. I'm European too.