By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else have a soft spot for the Saturn?

BaldrSkies said:

This one game...

That looks really good. What is the game called when not written in kanji?

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

One of the gens i skipped as a gamer was the 32 bit era. However in summer 1998 i bought a Saturn cheap, it was coming to the end of its life and its only upcoming releases were Burning Rangers and deep fear. It was great, i had a right blast with it from Nights, Burning Rangers and the excellent Saturn Bomberman (still by far the best Bomberman game). I picked up a lot of the stellar titles for next to nothing, and it served me well until Dreamcast was released. Saturn wasnt the best console ever made, but i had heaps of fun on it.

walsufnir said:

The N64 never got me. The controller was so awful, even worse than DS, and the graphics were so foggy sometimes... Best game was definitely Zelda:OOT and thanks to UltraHLE I could finish this masterpiece :)

While I loved the N64 as a whole, the controller left a LOT to be desired. Analogue was nice, but the stick was flimsy and the whole thing was to big and designed for three-handrd aliens. XD

I have minimal experience with the Saturn, but to me, it sort of seems like the exact opposite of the Dreamcast. But not in a bad way!

The Dreamcast was a bit weak for a Generation 6 console, but was ahead of its time, with the VMU and the online play and whatnot. Despite releasing in 1999, it was the first 21st century console, if that makes any sense.

The Saturn, on the other hand, was actually pretty powerful. In some ways, it was a more powerful machine than the N64 or PlayStation. But it was designed primarily to play 2D games, something that was going out of fashion. In that respect, it was sort of the last console of the 1980's.

Despite my lack of Saturn knowledge, I respect that little system. And I haven't played many of its games, but...

I can see why they're worth loving.

Love and tolerate.

I played Panzer Dragoon 2 weeks ago, couldn't get past the 4th level.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:

They made'em tough back  then. ;)

Honestly, so many gamers today would be absolutey broken by 90s games, not to mention 80s ones...

curl-6 said:
brendude13 said:

They made'em tough back  then. ;)

Honestly, so many gamers today would be absolutey broken by 90s games, not to mention 80s ones...

Hahaha, right! Nowadays games are really quite easy. Switches are blinking, waypoints, puzzles that aren't puzzling... Yes, games were more changelling back then. But I gladly welcome this as I don't have the time anymore - I just want to finish games and get the story instead of dying a thousand times to beat a level ;)

Nights is one of the most magical experiences of all time. I can still hear that beautiful opening score in my head. Saturn was a great console, much like the Dreamcast that came after it.

Back when I had no money - I got a hand-me-down Saturn from someone for free. It had no game other than a demo disc with Panzer Dragoon, a football/soccer game and some track and field game... I remember playing that Panzer Dragoon level a billion times and loving it to death.

My first actual game on the Saturn was of course Panzer Dragoon.