By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else have a soft spot for the Saturn?

zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

The Saturn came out almost 20 years ago.  Half of the kids around here weren't even born.

This! I recently had a small discussion with whateverhisname was and he said that (essentially) playstation was the reason grown-ups also started playing consoles which is definitely wrong ;) Sega was there before I told him but he said they "failed" and so didn't mention them. I think he just didn't know and probably never played on any Sega-console ;)

idk about sega being a big reason for adults playing games, maybe a little but not nearly as much as Playstation did. Sega did the whole mocking Nintendo thing during the Genesis days but that type of marketing seems to be directed more towards 10-15 year olds that dont want to be seen as kids anymore. Mortal Kombat is an example of this, blood for the sake of blood and over the top kills. Adults arent really into those type of things, more like teenagers and the dude-bros.

??? Mortal Kombat was also on Snes. 

The games in general were always more targeted to more mature people, way more than Nintendo. Given that Sega was especially strong in arcades also proves what I mean. Of course they had also games that appealed more to kids because consoles are (still) considered as a toy but they also had the "mature" games where Nintendo did not (talking about exclusives, of course).

But I think we won't agree on this ever.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

The Saturn came out almost 20 years ago.  Half of the kids around here weren't even born.

This! I recently had a small discussion with whateverhisname was and he said that (essentially) playstation was the reason grown-ups also started playing consoles which is definitely wrong ;) Sega was there before I told him but he said they "failed" and so didn't mention them. I think he just didn't know and probably never played on any Sega-console ;)

idk about sega being a big reason for adults playing games, maybe a little but not nearly as much as Playstation did. Sega did the whole mocking Nintendo thing during the Genesis days but that type of marketing seems to be directed more towards 10-15 year olds that dont want to be seen as kids anymore. Mortal Kombat is an example of this, blood for the sake of blood and over the top kills. Adults arent really into those type of things, more like teenagers and the dude-bros.

The games in general were always more targeted to more mature people, way more than Nintendo. Given that Sega was especially strong in arcades also proves what I mean. Of course they had also games that appealed more to kids because consoles are (still) considered as a toy but they also had the "mature" games where Nintendo did not (talking about exclusives, of course).

And it sold considerably less on SNES because of lack of blood. And which exclusives are you referring to that were more mature on Genesis?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Never played one and don't know anyone that had/has one.

zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

And it sold considerably less on SNES because of lack of blood. And which exclusives are you referring to that were more mature on Genesis?

Sonic is, at least to me, way more mature than Mario, by design.

Shinobi, of course.

Landstalker, Thunder Force IV, Streets of Rage, Virtua Racing, Shadow Dancer, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe...

walsufnir said:

How so?

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

Shinobi, of course.

Landstalker, Thunder Force IV, Streets of Rage, Virtua Racing, Shadow Dancer, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe...

Sonic is a little more mature because he had "attitude" but still to me seemed like it was marketed towards 12 year olds so they would feel hip and cool compared to Mario, who Sega tried acting like was for kids.

Ninja Gaiden, Zelda, Final Fantasy and the SNES shoot/beat 'em ups were just as mature as those Genesis games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

curl-6 said:
walsufnir said:

How so?

Of course only my opinion but I think the design of Sonic and especially the level-art-design appeals more to mature gamers. It's also way faster than Mario.

zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

Shinobi, of course.

Sonic is a little more mature because he had "attitude" but still to me seemed like it was marketed towards 12 year olds so they would feel hip and cool compared to Mario, who Sega tried acting like was for kids.

Ninja Gaiden, Zelda, Final Fantasy and the SNES shoot/beat 'em ups were just as mature as those Genesis games.

Yes, we disagree in this point (and Ninja Gaiden wasn't exclusive). 

walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

Shinobi, of course.

Yes, we disagree in this point.

All im saying is an adult who was shopping for a new console at the time wouldnt go to a store and assume those Genesis games were more mature than the SNES games. I agree tho that Sega 1st party games were more mature than many Nintendo 1st party games but adults who were just getting into games wouldnt care or know the difference between 1st and 3rd party.

walsufnir said:
curl-6 said:
walsufnir said:

How so?

Of course only my opinion but I think the design of Sonic and especially the level-art-design appeals more to mature gamers. It's also way faster than Mario.

Sonic's world is bright, colourful, and cartoony just like Mario. It's a bit edgier but that always struck me as appealing to adolescent rather than adults.