By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else have a soft spot for the Saturn?

BaldrSkies said:

This one game...

That music O_O

I must know the name of this game! Was it ever translated to English?

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
adriane23 said:
BaldrSkies said:

This one game...

That music O_O

I must know the name of this game! Was it ever translated to English?

Madou Monogatari (Sorcery Story) made by Compile, nowadays it's been reduced to PuyoPuyo puzzle games by Sega... but it was an RPG series in the past. I'm not sure if it has come out in English though.

curl-6 said:

The Saturn was where Sega's fortunes took a turn for the worse. It was difficult to program for, had a botched surprise launch, and it was expensive compared to the PS1. 

The console itself seems to have gone down in history as "like a PS1, but crappy."

I disagree.

It might not have had the PS1's extensive libary or the N64's first party masterpieces, but games like Panzer Dragoon, Saturn Bomberman, and Nights into Dreams were great fun.

I owned an N64 and had access to a friend's PS1, but playing my cousin's Sega Saturn was awesome in its own right.

Am I the only one?

Ahhhh yes Saturn Bomberman 10 player....I WAS THERE!!!!, what was that like 97?

Remember at a local youth club doing a 24 hour stay awake for charity and playing that for literally 16 hours winner stays on.

Disagree with the rest though, it was a pretty crap console not capable of enough 3d skills to make any kind of open world 3d game except Nights Into Dreams, the best we had other than "Bug" and "Bug Too!"...which wasn't proper 3d open world.

Real crappy 3d and no hardware transparency made it a dead dog, unfortunately. I loved mine...but the ports between it and the PS1 were sorely lacking usually a lower resolution and lacking the gourad shading the PS1 could do (Resident Evil port for example).

There's no denying it was a piece of crap compared to the PS1 in terms of hardware I'm afraid, and that's coming from someone who was a teenage Sega fanboy and even tried to defend his purchase of a 32x!

Virtua Cop 2 was fantastic mind you...

Actually thinking about it, I did actually have more fun with my Saturn during 2 years owning it before getting a PS1 with games like Sega Rally, VF2, Sonic Jam, VC2...Daytona port was awful mind and didn't look anything like or run even like the Arcade.

I still haven't had a chance to try NiGHTS.

Here's hoping for Wii U VC Saturn Emulation. Maybe at last consoles will have the power to do it

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

curl-6 said:

The Saturn was where Sega's fortunes took a turn for the worse. It was difficult to program for, had a botched surprise launch, and it was expensive compared to the PS1. 

The console itself seems to have gone down in history as "like a PS1, but crappy."

I disagree.

It might not have had the PS1's extensive libary or the N64's first party masterpieces, but games like Panzer Dragoon, Saturn Bomberman, and Nights into Dreams were great fun.

I owned an N64 and had access to a friend's PS1, but playing my cousin's Sega Saturn was awesome in its own right.

Am I the only one?

And Virtua Cop!

Virtua Fighter too

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Around the Network

I love it. I have 2.

Younger people may not know this - but back in the 16-bit days , before the launch of the Saturn and PS1 - apart from the console exclusive platformers (Sonic and Mario) - and the RPGs (which had a pretty limited mass market reach beyond Zelda) - the reason most people made their console choices were based on who had the best arcade conversions.

Sega, with their AM2 - were ruling the arcades in terms of 3D - and the mind boggled at the possibility of faithful home conversions of Daytona, VF, Virtua Cop et. al.

Capcom had the best 2D arcade games around - whether fighter (SF2) or multiplayer beat em up (D&D, AvP etc).

Namco - had started to make inroads in Sega's 3D driver/fighter market (Ridge Racer/Tekken) - but we3ren't nearly as well known.

Well the next part is pretty obvious - when the PSX/Saturn launched - Sega got the Sega Arcade conversions (obviously) - and the best Capcom ones (Sony were pushing 3D pretty hard, and requiring devs to release 3d games over 2d ones, this is the year when SSFIITurbo was king of the hill in the arcades - they didn't even let Capcom release a SF until SFAlpha) - And Sony got the exclusive conversions of the lesser known Namco 3D arcade games (Tekken/RidgeRacer).

It seemed pretty assured for Sega - they had the exclusives of the more popular 3D arcade games, and the better versions of the Capcom 2D games. Sony had exclusives of the lesser known Namco games, and very little in the way of 2D fighters (the dominant genre of that period) - in fact I think MK3 was the first major 2D PSX game/conversion released.

Well - when the Namco 3d conversions turned out to look a lot better on PSx than the Sega 3d conversions on Saturn (they even released a better looking VF1 to keep up - protip - skip the first and get that one) - suddenly the Tekkens and Ridge Racers grew in stature and status. And comparing games like Wipeout on both systems - PSX's advantage in polygon pushing was quite marked. Remember I'm talking year one here.

I'd gone from wanting a Saturn - to wanting a PSX - big time. I'm glad I've got one (two actually a PAL and a JAP one) now, but regret I didn't support Sega more at the time, as I deeply loved their IP's, attitude, and core approach. But hey I was 18 - Sony were advertising in music magazines, and realy reaching out to the teen/young adult market. Friends who ho-hummed at my SNES and MegaDrive all wanted to play this Sony Playstation thing I'd paid AUD$700 for (Dec 1995 RRP) - and I got caught up in the hype.

Looking back now though - as far as first party goes - Saturn shits from a great height on PSX. Those "OMG Polygons! It's like a PC with one of those fancy 3D graphics cards" moments on PSX haven't aged as well as the 2D sprite art of Saturn's titles. People also don't remember that before this gen - Sony's 1st party was pretty rare - and unlike MS - who bought their first major 1st party studio before the Xbox released (Bungie), and planned their launch around their output - Sony didn't buy Psygnosis (Sony Liverpool) until the 11th hour. Sure they bought Psygnosis after PSX released - but apart from Wipeout and GT, and the random one off like PaRappa/Lammy or VibRibbon - they didn't really do much first party stuff in the PsX days. PS2 they added Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank (pretty much killed PaRappa with the average PaRappa2), Socom and GoW near trhe end of the consoles life - but it was around this time they started PacMann-ing up the studios (Guerilla etc) so they'd have a wide range of 1st party for Ps3. It's funny - but people bash MS for lack of 1st party, ignoring the fact that it took Sony 10+ years to build up a decent armory of studios. The 360's (MS second gen) Forza/Halo/GoW/VivaP/Fable/Kinect measures up pretty equally to Ps2's (Sony's second gen) - JakDaxter/RatchetClank/GT/Socom/GoW. I'd expect them to be about equal next gen as MS has started a lot of new studios, and Sony has closed a lot down.

Both had some great titles - and Sony's 3rd party was undoubtedly stronger in most areas - but god damn if I don't love my Saturn now.

Not a huge fan of the Saturn but I loved the Dream Cast XD

No you are not the only one.

Sega Saturn was awesome.

Sega is awesome, Sega games were awesome too.

The only problem with Sega is that they were bad when it came to business.

Even now that they stop making console I think they are struggling.

Sad and weird indeed, why didn't they just hire some good business people.

curl-6 said:

I disagree.

I disagree as well, I thought the console went down in History as "like a PS1, but with less games, and it's more expensive."

LOL - I never played Saturn, I had an N64 and a PS1, and in 1998 I was only 9, so I was still making game decisions based off ads and my older sisters influence, and the influence of friends.

So basically, I got an N64 because my sister had a SNES (and I had a Genesis) and I was jealous. I got a PS1 because all my friends had one, and I mostly ignored the Saturn because, like the Virtual Boy, I didn't know what it was.

However, looking at my Dreamcast and X-Box 1 collection, I kinda see how every system has their gems, and Saturn is pretty much the only major system I don't own. So I kinda want one, to complete my collection.

Plus I hear as much love for PD Saga as I do Final Fantasy VII/Chrono Trigger, and Shining Force is made by the devs of Golden Sun, with similar graphics. I might only get a handful of games for Saturn when I get one, but I still want one.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

fillet said:

Disagree with the rest though, it was a pretty crap console not capable of enough 3d skills to make any kind of open world 3d game except Nights Into Dreams, the best we had other than "Bug" and "Bug Too!"...which wasn't proper 3d open world.

Real crappy 3d and no hardware transparency made it a dead dog, unfortunately. I loved mine...but the ports between it and the PS1 were sorely lacking usually a lower resolution and lacking the gourad shading the PS1 could do (Resident Evil port for example).

It could actually do some decent 3D, it was just hard to program for. Nights into Dreams, the Panzer Dragoon Games, and Croc: Legend of the Gobbos did 3D pretty well for the time. As for transparency, it could still be achieved; Burning Rangers did it.