By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else have a soft spot for the Saturn?

zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

The Saturn came out almost 20 years ago.  Half of the kids around here weren't even born.

This! I recently had a small discussion with whateverhisname was and he said that (essentially) playstation was the reason grown-ups also started playing consoles which is definitely wrong ;) Sega was there before I told him but he said they "failed" and so didn't mention them. I think he just didn't know and probably never played on any Sega-console ;)

idk about sega being a big reason for adults playing games, maybe a little but not nearly as much as Playstation did. Sega did the whole mocking Nintendo thing during the Genesis days but that type of marketing seems to be directed more towards 10-15 year olds that dont want to be seen as kids anymore. Mortal Kombat is an example of this, blood for the sake of blood and over the top kills. Adults arent really into those type of things, more like teenagers and the dude-bros.

??? Mortal Kombat was also on Snes. 

The games in general were always more targeted to more mature people, way more than Nintendo. Given that Sega was especially strong in arcades also proves what I mean. Of course they had also games that appealed more to kids because consoles are (still) considered as a toy but they also had the "mature" games where Nintendo did not (talking about exclusives, of course).

But I think we won't agree on this ever.

And it sold considerably less on SNES because of lack of blood. And which exclusives are you referring to that were more mature on Genesis?

Sonic is, at least to me, way more mature than Mario, by design.

Shinobi, of course.

Landstalker, Thunder Force IV, Streets of Rage, Virtua Racing, Shadow Dancer, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe...

Sonic is a little more mature because he had "attitude" but still to me seemed like it was marketed towards 12 year olds so they would feel hip and cool compared to Mario, who Sega tried acting like was for kids.

Ninja Gaiden, Zelda, Final Fantasy and the SNES shoot/beat 'em ups were just as mature as those Genesis games.

Yes, we disagree in this point.

All im saying is an adult who was shopping for a new console at the time wouldnt go to a store and assume those Genesis games were more mature than the SNES games. I agree tho that Sega 1st party games were more mature than many Nintendo 1st party games but adults who were just getting into games wouldnt care or know the difference between 1st and 3rd party.

How would you know? If the age in your profile is right you weren't even born when Genesis was released :) 

But lets keep on topic: The Saturn was a very good console and I feel sorry for anyone who has missed it!

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
walsufnir said:
curl-6 said:
walsufnir said:

How so?

Of course only my opinion but I think the design of Sonic and especially the level-art-design appeals more to mature gamers. It's also way faster than Mario.

Sonic's world is bright, colourful, and cartoony just like Mario. It's a bit edgier but that always struck me as appealing to adolescent rather than adults.

i agree with this completely, i heard about surveys back in the day that showed 3rd graders would admit to playing Genesis moreso than SNES, making me belive Sega's marketing was basically Nintendo=little kids, Sega=big kids/pre teens.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

The Saturn came out almost 20 years ago.  Half of the kids around here weren't even born.

This! I recently had a small discussion with whateverhisname was and he said that (essentially) playstation was the reason grown-ups also started playing consoles which is definitely wrong ;) Sega was there before I told him but he said they "failed" and so didn't mention them. I think he just didn't know and probably never played on any Sega-console ;)

idk about sega being a big reason for adults playing games, maybe a little but not nearly as much as Playstation did. Sega did the whole mocking Nintendo thing during the Genesis days but that type of marketing seems to be directed more towards 10-15 year olds that dont want to be seen as kids anymore. Mortal Kombat is an example of this, blood for the sake of blood and over the top kills. Adults arent really into those type of things, more like teenagers and the dude-bros.

The games in general were always more targeted to more mature people, way more than Nintendo. Given that Sega was especially strong in arcades also proves what I mean. Of course they had also games that appealed more to kids because consoles are (still) considered as a toy but they also had the "mature" games where Nintendo did not (talking about exclusives, of course).

And it sold considerably less on SNES because of lack of blood. And which exclusives are you referring to that were more mature on Genesis?

Shinobi, of course.

Landstalker, Thunder Force IV, Streets of Rage, Virtua Racing, Shadow Dancer, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe...

Sonic is a little more mature because he had "attitude" but still to me seemed like it was marketed towards 12 year olds so they would feel hip and cool compared to Mario, who Sega tried acting like was for kids.

Ninja Gaiden, Zelda, Final Fantasy and the SNES shoot/beat 'em ups were just as mature as those Genesis games.

All im saying is an adult who was shopping for a new console at the time wouldnt go to a store and assume those Genesis games were more mature than the SNES games. I agree tho that Sega 1st party games were more mature than many Nintendo 1st party games but adults who were just getting into games wouldnt care or know the difference between 1st and 3rd party.

How would you know? If the age in your profile is right you weren't even born when Genesis was released :) 

But lets keep on topic: The Saturn was a very good console and I feel sorry for anyone who has missed it!

touche lol but ya i never had an opportunity to play Saturn, we only had NES/Gameboy at my house and Genesis at my grandparents until 1999 when we got an N64 and most of my friends either had N64 or PS1.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

One of the sad effects of the system itself not selling so well is that many of its games didn't get the recognition th deserve. Panzer Dragon deserves to go down alongside classics like Starfox 64 and Metal Gear Solid.

zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

Shinobi, of course.

touche lol but ya i never had an opportunity to play Saturn, we only had NES/Gameboy at my house and Genesis at my grandparents until 1999 when we got an N64 and most of my friends either had N64 or PS1.

I owned all of Sega, except Dreamcast which I played only at a friend's home (I especially liled MSR there ;)). 

I got late to Sony, thanks to my powerful PC (hint, hint). I know it's not legal but it was possible so... and yes, in general PSX had the best games in this gen and yes, it was better than Saturn, which doesn't make it bad - just not as good. I don't regret buying Saturn but I think it had been better for me to get a PSX instead and wait until Saturn got emulated :)

The N64 never got me. The controller was so awful, even worse than DS, and the graphics were so foggy sometimes... Best game was definitely Zelda:OOT and thanks to UltraHLE I could finish this masterpiece :)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

One of the sad effects of the system itself not selling so well is that many of its games didn't get the recognition th deserve. Panzer Dragon deserves to go down alongside classics like Starfox 64 and Metal Gear Solid.

Sony forced themself into the market like noone before - Sega was no match for them. Sega had way less marketing money and was too small to compete with Sony. It's almost the same what MS did when they forced themself into the market. The relation is not as bad as Sony/Sega but you get the idea. Difference is that nowadays Sony-fans are complaining, back in the days  Sega-fans were complaining :)

walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

Shinobi, of course.

I owned all of Sega, except Dreamcast which I played only at a friend's home (I especially liled MSR there ;)). 

I got late to Sony, thanks to my powerful PC (hint, hint). I know it's not legal but it was possible so... and yes, in general PSX had the best games in this gen and yes, it was better than Saturn, which doesn't make it bad - just not as good. I don't regret buying Saturn but I think it had been better for me to get a PSX instead and wait until Saturn got emulated :)

The N64 never got me. The controller was so awful, even worse than DS, and the graphics were so foggy sometimes... Best game was definitely Zelda:OOT and thanks to UltraHLE I could finish this masterpiece :)

I LOVED THE N64 CONTROLLER!!!! some Saturn games i really want to play are Panzer Dragoon, Nights, Burning Rangers, its just too bad games are so damn expensive now and i havent been able to find an emulator for it yet.

walsufnir said:
curl-6 said:

Sony forced themself into the market like noone before - Sega was no match for them. Sega had way less marketing money and was too small to compete with Sony. It's almost the same what MS did when they forced themself into the market. The relation is not as bad as Sony/Sega but you get the idea. Difference is that nowadays Sony-fans are complaining, back in the days  Sega-fans were complaining :)

It seems like Sony also took advantage of the many mistakes Sega and Nintendo made at the time. Sega had lost some consumer trust with the failed add-ons, pissed off some retailers that were left out of the surprise launch, and it was hard to develop and cost too much compared to PS. Nintendo also pissed off alot of developers by not using CDs. I always wonder how things would have played out if those 2 didnt make so many poor decisions back then, it could have been a very even contested generation and changed gaming alot.

zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
zorg1000 said:
walsufnir said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

Shinobi, of course.

I LOVED THE N64 CONTROLLER!!!! some Saturn games i really want to play are Panzer Dragoon, Nights, Burning Rangers, its just too bad games are so damn expensive now and i havent been able to find an emulator for it yet.

I don't know if it's safe to post emulator-links but I don't see any issue with this: SSF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSF_(emulator)) is the best one. It doesn't apply any filtering or does anything to make Saturn-games look better (as epsxe does, for example) but it has a very good compatibility and with a current PC games will run fine. Of course you have to get a Saturn-Bios which *is* illegal and I won't go any further discussing this ;)

I especially recommend Saturn Bomberman. Nights can be played on your PS3 if you own one. It's definitely worth it as it is cheap and also has the HD-version in it :)

thanks!!! my laptop is pretty bunk lol so im not sure if i can run it but ill give it a try, if not ill download Nights off of PSN sometime